• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Atari Atari ET urban legend proved true

dDave

V.I.P.
After all these years, it's finally proved to be true. I had heard of this one before but never did I expect for this to happen.

Diggers find Atari's E.T. games in landfill

Just imagine being one of the geeks that showed up to get a copy. It says that some of these guys were literally playing it in the back of a van because they just didn't want to wait to get all the way home.

Amazing that these things still work after what 30 years of being buried?

That game must have been so embarrassing for the company to want to destroy over 700,000 copies :lol:. I wonder if they're all buried in the same place.
------
The IGN article actually explains it a little better. Make sure to watch the video if you're in the dark about what this all means and why it's significant.

The Dig: Uncovering the Atari E.T. Games Buried in New Mexico Desert - IGN

Last edited:

Merc

Problematic Shitlord
V.I.P.
I thought this was hilarious.

I remember hearing about this a long time ago and I didn't think it was that far-fetched, but that it just seemed unlikely.

Iris

rainbow 11!
I saw this on reddit and lol'd. for a second, i thought it was something from the onion.

dDave

V.I.P.
I thought this was hilarious.

I remember hearing about this a long time ago and I didn't think it was that far-fetched, but that it just seemed unlikely.
Well, now they're excavating a landfill in search of as many cartridges as they can get. Apparently a lot of nerds out there actually want this game?

It's embarrassing for Atari because the game is 100% crap. Just look at that impressive gameplay. :lol:

E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial (Atari 2600) - YouTube

I think that Superman 64 has been officially uncrowned as the worst game I've ever seen/played.

I saw this on reddit and lol'd. for a second, i thought it was something from the onion.
I thought it was illegitimate as well. I thought it was IGN trying to pull a prank or something :lol:.