• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

At What Age Should You Stop Having Children

MissMe

Registered Member
My friend is 43 and has 5 beautiful and healthy biological children and 4 beautiful and healthy stepchildren. She keeps trying to have more children. She has had 4 miscarriages and a still birth the past couple of years. I have told her that I think maybe she is getting a little old to have children and maybe her body just can't handle it anymore. The still birth was so tramatizing for her and her family I didn't think they would recover! She says that her and her husband want another child and they will keep trying. I have told her that grandkids are on the way and that she needs to stop endangering herself this way. I think that she needs counseling.

When do you think you should stop having children?

NellyBell

Registered Member
I cannot imagine the pain of going through a stillbirth. As far as age, I think they used to say 35, I'm not sure if that's still true. I know that risks of birth defects, miscarriages, and stillbirths increase with age. I know some people who have had children around 39-40, but both were difficult pregnancies and one was premature. Sometimes that's just the luck of the draw though. This site has some good info.

Sophia

Registered Member
Early 30's is a good time to stop having babies. I currently have a granddaughter born with Downs Syndrome, clef lip/clef palate. She is so precious and I wouldn't trade her for anything but mom was 42 or 43 when she was born.

MissMe

Registered Member
I cannot imagine the pain of going through a stillbirth. As far as age, I think they used to say 35, I'm not sure if that's still true. I know that risks of birth defects, miscarriages, and stillbirths increase with age. I know some people who have had children around 39-40, but both were difficult pregnancies and one was premature. Sometimes that's just the luck of the draw though. This site has some good info.
I can't imagine the paid of a stillbirth either, it was so hard watching her go through it. With all of the issues she is having with each pregnancy, I worry about her health.
Thank you for the link. I will share it with her and see if it will make her think.

Keri35

Registered Member
My best friend had a baby at the age of 44, she's perfect. I think that each person should know their own body and make that decision. I don't think after 45 would be a good idea.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
I'm sure its different for each person but I would say early, maybe mid 40's.

IrishLass2247

Registered Member
I think you should just be there to support your friend and leave the personal life decisions to her and her husband. I know it is hard, but it is really none of our business what another family chooses to do. Unless you were somehow being asked to pay for the child or raise it, then I would just bite my tongue and be a good friend. She knows how you feel. Leave it at that.