• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Astronomers Find Ice and Possibly Methane On Snow White, a Distant Dwarf Planet

Comet

Registered Member
I will be interested to see if this dwarf planet contains methane. From what I have heard from colleagues and the research I've read it appears it just may, similar to Quaoar. There are actually quite a few KBOs on the edge of our solar system that have a red hue.

ScienceDaily (Aug. 22, 2011) — Astronomers at the California Institute of Technology (Caltech) have discovered that the dwarf planet 2007 OR10 -- nicknamed Snow White -- is an icy world, with about half its surface covered in water ice that once flowed from ancient, slush-spewing volcanoes. The new findings also suggest that the red-tinged dwarf planet may be covered in a thin layer of methane, the remnants of an atmosphere that's slowly being lost into space.
Astronomers find ice and possibly methane on Snow White, a distant dwarf planet