• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Astronomers discover planet made of diamond

Comet

Registered Member
A rare and mysterious planet has been discovered. The planet is so dense it's carbon is most likely crystalline.

I would be extremely curious to see what the surface of this planet looks like. This is just one of a million reasons astronomy is so fascinating.

Astronomers have spotted an exotic planet that seems to be made of diamond racing around a tiny star in our galactic backyard.
Astronomers discover planet made of diamond | Reuters

Dekzper

Registered Member
Don't tell the DeBeers or there'll be another race for space... :lol: That's def amazing and I'd love to see the surface. It's prolly black on the surface with that much carbon. Thanks for sharing. :)

Smelnick

Creeping On You
V.I.P.
The day we figure out how to harvest that diamond is the day technology advances. The price would go down, and there'd be such an abundance, making tools with perfectly sharp edges would be so easy!

Iris

rainbow 11!
My professor brought this up today and I totally was going to make a thread until you beat me to it.

Also, I think it would be such a horrible idea if we were to harvest from that planet, I think we would destroy it. I'm glad we haven't advanced enough to make it there and I hope we never will.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
Also, I think it would be such a horrible idea if we were to harvest from that planet, I think we would destroy it. I'm glad we haven't advanced enough to make it there and I hope we never will.
Yeah, the good news is that even if we could travel 4,000 light years back and forth, I can't see it being profitable enough to do so.

Just curious though, would anyone really care if we destroyed a planet composed of ordinary rock? So why care about a diamond planet? As long as there's no life there, then I don't see how harvesting other planets could be unethical.

Iris

rainbow 11!
Well, it would bother me if we destroyed any planet, honestly. Life or no life. I just feel like it would stem from greed. But that's a very interesting question. I guess my main idea behind the diamond planet would be that it's made of DIAMOND. can you imagine how beautiful that would be? and our track record suggests we destroy beautiful things for our own greed.

now you have me second guessing myself. THANKS. lol

dDave

V.I.P.
Yeah, the good news is that even if we could travel 4,000 light years back and forth, I can't see it being profitable enough to do so.

Just curious though, would anyone really care if we destroyed a planet composed of ordinary rock? So why care about a diamond planet? As long as there's no life there, then I don't see how harvesting other planets could be unethical.
Yeah one of the reasons why diamonds are so valuable is because they are so rare. If we were somehow able to harvest a lot of diamond from this planet it would make them worth a lot less, or a lot more because people are stupid and really like stuff from space :lol:. I certainly don't see an ethical problem with it though. If somebody can make it there they have every right to harvest, that's one great thing about space, nobody owns anything at all out there.

I've heard of large deposits of diamond being found inside of planets and dead stars but this is pretty awesome. It's almost 100% pure diamond.

PretzelCorps

Registered Member
Yay! Fact of the Day! :w00t:

In order to reach the nearest possible star system to us (Alpha Centauri, one way trip) within the lifetime of a human being, we would have to build a space craft that can travel 10,000 miles per second, and make it completely autonomous, since the fastest possible signal we can send would arrive over 4 years after we sent it. Since this formation is 1,000 times more distant, there isn't really much hope for reaching it any time soon...

Furthermore, even if we could get there, our space craft would have to be able to deal with a gravitational pull that would very likely kill any person at the surface, not to mention land on the thing in the first place, considering it's 20 km across and spinning hundreds of times per second (it'd be kinda like the Sun were rising and setting and rising again every 0.01 seconds, here on Earth).

In short, even in the future, we can look at the thing, but not really all that much else.

Impact

V.I.P.
So Kay, i'll put it to you like this. If it turned out we could reach this planet, would you prefer us to kill that planet harvesting them, or kill thousands of people harvesting blood diamonds?

Anyway, I think this, and other planets like this if we discover any of them, could be a motivating factor in getting the space race going again, even if it is in the distant future. Humans are pretty damn greedy, after all.

Last edited:

PretzelCorps

Registered Member
So Kay, i'll put it to you like this. If it turned out we could reach this planet, would you prefer us to kill that planet harvesting them, or kill thousands of people harvesting blood diamonds?

Anyway, I think this, and other planets like this if we discover any of them, could be a motivating factor in getting the space race going again, even if it is in the distant future. Humans are pretty damn greedy, after all.
Just to add to my own post, this post ^, and to put Kay's objections at ease:

Even completely ignoring the complications I laid out in harvesting said diamond-planet, and pretending we could, in fact, harvest it to destruction.....bringing back that much carbon to Earth would also bring with it the volume of gravity I mentioned above, which would in turn cause all matter on Earth to become as dense, if not denser, than the planet is now, thereby causing the entire Earth to implode on itself, so to speak, and eliminate all life in the vicinity.

Along this line of thought, interestingly, it seems that interplanetary importing and exporting will have some curious environmental ramifications for the governments of the future to consider --> Remember, all matter in the universe has a gravitational pull, and adding anything exterior to Earth's overall mass increases Earth's overall gravitational pull; every meteor and meteorite that has ever impacted Earth has infinitismally increased the amount of gravity pulling us down.