• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Asteroid to Pass 21,000 miles from Earth in Feb.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
Bottom line: The near Earth asteroid 2012 DA14 will have a very close pass near Earth on February 15, 2013. It will sweep approximately 21,000 miles from us – much closer than the moon’s orbit and closer than geosynchronous satellites. This asteroid is bound to add to 2012 doomsday hysteria, which we can only hope will not carry over too far into 2013.

Asteroid to pass within moon’s distance February 15, 2013
This is very close but they say we are in no danger from it. If it did hit they said its not big enough to destroy the planet just flatten a city. It should provide a good show and hope it doesn't take out any satellites. I hope to get some good pictures.

jigsawkid

Registered Member
that would be something awesome to see. the media will no doubt have a field day with hysteria promoting headlines

-

lescamil

Hopeless musician
V.I.P.
Instead of worrying about that one, we should be worrying about this one. There was a scare recently about it hitting us for sure, but it was downgraded since. However, it's still pretty massive and would be a huge problem for us if it hit us.

Millz

Better Call Saul
Staff member
V.I.P.
I was also reading something about how a huge asteroid they feared would hit the Earth in 2040 and now no longer a threat.

I don't know how they know this so far in advance but that's good if it will miss us, obviously.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
I was informed I probably won't even be able to see it. That's a bummer.

I wonder how they know for sure Apophis won't hit us. Things could change between then and now. I have to wonder if they would even tell us. I mean really look how some people acted over this Mayan prediction. There would be chaos.

lescamil

Hopeless musician
V.I.P.
The Mayan prediction was pure bullshit. The Mayans never said that there would be any sort of apocalypse. It was just a calendar changing. This could be a legitimate threat to us, on the other hand. We really won't know until the date draws nearer.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
We may of not taken the Mayan doomsday predictions serious but many people did. My point is some people got worked up over that when there was really no reason. Can you imagine what people would do if we told them we were going to be hit by a comet.

This isn't the only one remember this fall another one will come close and be brighter than the moon.

New Comet maybe brighter than Moon

ysabel

/ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5
Wait, was this the same thing that hit Russia in Feb or it missed us and another meteor hit Earth instead?

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
I think that was a different one that hit Russia. My guess is DA14 brought it in with it. DA14 was only visible from Asia and Australia. The one we are suppose to get this fall should be much brighter. Hope it doesn't drag another one in with it.

Impact

V.I.P.
The one that 'hit' Russia was different. Technically it went boom before it hit the earth otherwise I think there would have been a lot more damage.

Apparently we get a bunch of stuff like the Russia one come through to us, but most of it burns up in the atmosphere.