• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Asking for help

Bliss

Sally Twit
When it comes to asking for help, are you too stubborn to ask? If you are offered help, are you too proud to accept?

Many people would rather struggle and try and do something alone than ask for help. I know people can be proud or stubborn. I can be like that myself in some situations. However, I will usually come around if the situation is hopeless and I know I'll never get anywhere if I don't ask for help or accept it if it's offered to me.

The example I have is this guy I work with. He tries to take on a lot of work and then moans later on about how busy he is. A few of us will offer our help but he always tells us he is fine. I've worked with him for two years and he ALWAYS refuses help, even though he moans constantly.

Are you like this or do you know anyone who is like this?

Rebeccaaa

yellow 4!
I don't really like to ask for help, but not because I'm too stubborn or proud. In fact, I'm not really those things at all in this type of circumstance -- I just don't feel comfortable asking others to go out of their way.

If someone offers to help, however, I will usually accept.

Jeanie

still nobody's bitch
V.I.P.
I'm a lot like Bex - I don't like to trouble people, but I'm also stubborn and proud, and don't like to have to depend on someone else to do things for me.

Millz

Better Call Saul
Staff member
V.I.P.
I hate asking for help and it isn't because I'm one of those prototypical males who thinks he can figure everything out but because I like to do things for myself and not trouble people. I know that's their job but I don't like to trouble people if I can do it myself.

My job is partially to help people so I'll always help them if need be.

CaptainObvious

Embrace the Suck
V.I.P.
I hate asking for help, but I'm not like the guy you work with. I don't moan about having too much work. I do it mostly myself because I do it the way I want to. If you want something done right, do it yourself is how I feel. I rarely want help, and rarely ask for help. But am quick to help.

Crouton

Ninja
V.I.P.
I'm all for asking for help if I know that someone can, or is willing to do so. I wouldn't want to ever nag someone or trouble them, but if it's a small or simple thing then I would ask without hesitation. The only time I don't like asking for help is when someone has already explained something to me many times and I still don't understand it. This happened to me in High School many times in my worst subjects (like science and maths). The teacher would explain something 5 times and I still wouldn't get it. In times like that I hated to keep asking because it made me feel really stupid.

ysabel

/ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5
I'm usually independent and like it that way. However, I also know when being proud is a worse option than accepting help from others. I also tend to receive help offers and instead of putting them down, I thank them and tell them I'll keep it in mind (you'll never know when you have to get that raincheck).

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
I'm like most people who replied to the thread. I hate asking for help, and I only do so if I really can't do something. I'll attempt it a few times, and if I keep failing then I'll ask for help.

I do enjoy helping others, especially if they're willing to listen and learn. I especially helping people out when it comes to playing sports. I'm not the best, but I do have good pointers.

EllyDicious

made of AMBIGUITY
V.I.P.
I ask and offer help. I don't see anything wrong with it. Sometimes it's impossible to do everything by yourself and I don't think there's anything wrong giving someone a hand or receiving one.

I don't hesitate either way.

Iris

rainbow 11!
I am too worried about being a burden to ask for help. even if people offer to help most of the time i decline. I always feel like a burden and I try my best to limit that.