Ask each other...

Discussion in 'Wrestling' started by Babe_Ruth, Sep 5, 2010.

1. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

I wasn't sure what to call this thread, if you have a better suggestion let me know and I'll edit it.

The Wrestling section as been decently active in recent weeks. I decided to create a thread where we can ask each other questions. For example:

Millz at what age did you start watching Wrestling.

You can ask a question to anyone that you want, but make sure when you do ask the question to make sure you put the members name in front of the question like I just did above. You can ask the question to the whole group if you want.

Now this thread is more for questions that don't deserve it's own thread.

So I'll start this off by asking these questions to everyone.

1) At what age did you start watching wrestling?

2) During the Monday night wars, which promotion did you watch more? WWF or WCW?

3) Where did you get your interest of watching wrestling?

2. Tucker

Tucker Lion Rampant

1) At what age did you start watching wrestling?

I'm sure I was a preschooler when I first sat with my dad to watch AWA. I remember being pretty damned scared by some of the characters, with names like The Killer, The Crusher, the Destroyer, etc.

2) During the Monday night wars, which promotion did you watch more? WWF or WCW?

Nobody despised WCW more than I did. I only started sitting through Nitro toward the end, when it was a satisfying train wreck with the world title bouncing from Booker T to Tank Abbott to David Arquette to Vinnie Roo himself. The promotion's initials at that time could have stood for "We Can't Write" and I was loving every second.

3) Where did you get your interest of watching wrestling?[/quote]

After losing interest for many years, I got into it again in the mid-'90s. A wheelchair-bound friend that I bought weed from always seemed to have either WWF, WCW, or ECW on the tube. At first I couldn't stand it, until one night I turned to him in frustration and said, "Don't you know this is all fake?!"

Without taking his eyes off the match, my friend coolly replied, "Mmm, yeah. So is Star Trek."

I was like, "Ohhh." It was a [​IMG] moment for me and I never had a problem with kayfabe again.

Two for you, BR:

How high does wrestling rank, compared to your favorite sports?

What one WWF/WWE moment pissed you off the most when you saw it?

3. Babe_Ruth

Good questions Tucker:

1) How high does wrestling rank, compared to your favorite sports?

I love my sports, especially the four major ones but Wrestling is ranked pretty high. It was higher back in the early 90's and 00's because I had a huge hard on for Bret Hart, especially in 1991. I love Wrestling, and I doubt I'll ever hate it to be honest.

2)What one WWF/WWE moment pissed you off the most when you saw it?

I think that's pretty easy to answer, it was the Montreal Screwjob, I was twelve at the time, and I still believed wrestling was real. I didn't know the aspect of the business and was pissed off that Bret lost the title to HBK (who I couldn't stand at the time) and he was leaving the WWF "forever" broke my heart.

If we include WCW, then I would say there's a few:

-Poke of doom
    -Arquette and all those guys winning the Championships, it was becoming a real joke.
    -Goldberg losing to Nash for his first lost, because Mr. Nash was the booker, and no one could be better than he was. Fucking makes me sick.

Here's some questions for you Tuck:

In your opinion, who was the better promo guy, Ric Flair or Dusty Rhodes?

Should there be a age limit in wrestling where when you reach a certain age you should wrestle anymore? If so what's the cut off age?

4. Tucker

Tucker Lion Rampant

Did you see when they were using black plastic whiffle ball bats? Common sense tells me that if it's bending it an inch on RooRoo's back when he's bent over and Sting penis-whipping him with it, the thing ain't white ashwood with lacquer on it. You know? And yet it went out on air, on more than one occasion. Horrible, horrible. To borrow a line from Jim Cornette, "Fuck you all! I hope you die!"

This, though, has to be my my top "Piss on WCW" moment. How did you guys who saw this feel about it at the time?

YouTube - Ed Ferrara as Oklahoma

And look, it's the Harris Brothers. Am I the only one who completely forgot they existed?

Here's what little I know: with all that coke in him, The American Dream could talk a sweaty storm of shit. But Flair, I mean, damn... Every time he does a promo, I'm on the edge of my seat watching the spit fly and literally waiting for a vein to burst. And this is a guy I've always hated! Nobody seems to shine in that backstage close-up glory like Ric Flair, the Naitch-er Boy! WOOOOOOOOO!

I guess people age at different rates, especially in an injury-plagued profession like grappling. I'd have to wonder, if a rule like that went into effect, why the doctors who certify fighters and pro wrestlers for the ring weren't able to do their jobs in the first place.

5. Babe_Ruth

I think I've seen that segment when it actually happened but I don't remember. None the less, that was an extremely low blow to Jim Ross, which I thought crossed the line. I wonder if bozo the clown(Vince Russo) was behind the whole idea.

This question is to Unity, who is your current favorite performer on TNA?

@ Bubbles, What's your favorite match of all time and why?

@ generalblue, Which current wrestler do you hate the most, and can't stand watching him wrestle?

6. Unity

Unity #AllTogetherNowSTL Staff Member

Wow, this is a tougher question than you'd think!

At this very moment, I feel like I'd be insane not to say Kurt Angle. Surely he's one of the very best of all time, and is still wrestling insanely good matches both on PPV and on TV. Even after a lot of significant injury. His match with Hardy at No Surrender was a testament to his ability to bring out the best in the people he wrestles and to his ability to always look GREAT in that ring. I can't think of a match in recent memory that hasn't caused me to just say "Kurt Angle is insane." (Just meaning insanely good in his ability, or insane to take that risk and pull it off so well, etc. etc.). He makes an easily hated heel, and he's just as good as a face. You can't go wrong in that respect...he was great in his role with the Main Event Mafia around a year ago, and is in a (IMO) perfect role right now; just a face that focuses on the in-ring business and has a singular vision for the World Title.
    ----------------
    It wasn't easy to pick only him, though. Honorable mention to the following...

AJ Styles is simply the man in wrestling right now, and it's hard to pick Kurt over him. Over the years, he's done a great job moving from only focused on fast high flying wrestling to being incredibly well rounded. He does a good job as a heel, and it brings out a lot of creativity in him. Working with Flair has been big for his career, and I think we'll see the results continuing to grow every month.

I know you're not a fan, Biz, but I have basically the same thoughts on Samoa Joe as I do on AJ Styles. He's tied for that "number two" spot as well, and for a lot of the reasons that I listed as AJ. I don't think he'll go down in history as being on the same level as Styles, but Joe is the man.

And Sting is my favorite wrestler of all time, probably. So it's hard to not mention him, but I'm going with the present. I still mark at everything he does, but he's not the same Sting as he used to be. Still incredible at telling a story and doing promos, though. And he's still got it in the ring, even when diminished.

Going with the present is also why Desmond Wolfe isn't on that list of tops - yet. He's still growing, but he'll be incredible.

------> Sooo, a lot of honorable mention from me, but Overall I have to go with Kurt Angle as my current answer.

7. generalblue

generalblue Where is my Queen?

Oh geez, which wrestler can I not stand watching in the ring, the list is so large I can only name one, but the one that really stands out in my opinion is The Great Khali. He is a big guy, but does not know how to utilize his size. We see the Undertaker, Kane (somewhat), and the Big Show do it all the time and are able to have entertaining matches, but The Great Khali is just plain horrible, in fact I would go so far that he is worst than Hornswoggle (2nd choice).

@Babe Ruth
    What was the last WWE/F angle that geniunely shocked the hell out of you? Meaning that you couldn't wait until next weeks Raw, or something that you didn't see coming.

8. Bubbles

Bubbles I ♥ Haters

Well, it’s kinda hard to narrow it down to just one, but if I had to, I’d say Stone Cold Steve Austin versus Bret Hart in an no DQ Submission match at Wrestlemania 13. This match was simply phenomanal. First off, if you put Austin and Bret Hart in the same ring, everyone wins. The build up to Wrestlemania was exceuted to perfection. The intensity and psychology, in my opinion was incredible. Above all, this match made Austin’s career as the Superstar that he became during the Attitude Era. It solidified his whole self proclaimed “tough SOB” persona, because despite literally bleeding buckets, he opted to pass out rather than tap out to the Sharpshooter. I don’t know, it’s just one of those matches that you can’t forget.

I’d actually like to say that I loved the Lion’s Den Hardcore Match between Ken Shamrock and Steve Blackman at SummerSlam ’99 too. I dunno, if anyone remembers that one or not, but that one had everything – 2 talented mixed martial artists, Hardcore rules, Singapore canes, nunchukus, a cage, win by knockout or submission. It was one of those exquisute matches that you don’t see in pro-wrestling very often. I guess it has to be a tie between those 2, to be honest. But I’d go with Wrestlemania 13 as my number 1 choice.

Oh and I have a question for Unity: In your opinion, what’s the best submission hold in pro-wrestling?

9. Tucker

Tucker Lion Rampant

BAM! to the head with a kendo stick! Yes! I still have a VHS tape of that show, also notable for Triple H's Triple Threat with Austin and Mankind. When I got a chance to meet Shamrock not long afterward, I couldn't help but gush my enthusiasm for his intensity.

10. Babe_Ruth

Has to be the Nexus angle, we haven't seen destruction like that in a real long time. It just surprised the heck out of me because it came out of no where, and no one expected them to make an impact like that. It happened on Cena/Punk of all people too. Definitely was looking forward to Raw big time after that angle.

Another one that pops up in my head is when Shane showed up in a WCW ring. It's always been a dream of mine to see WCW wrestlers go against WWF wrestlers, and it was finally happening. I marked pretty huge that night.

@Bubbles: That Stone Cold/Bret Hart match is my second favorite match of all time, after Bret vs Perfect at Summerslam 91. Bret and Austin had incredible chemistry, and Bret is one of the wrestlers that turned Austin into a superstar. Austin as always said that his favorite wrestler to go against was Bret, because he made him look so good.

Tucker, another question for you. If you could sit down with Vince McMahon for 1-1 pow wow, and you had a chance to ask him three questions, what would they be? One catch though, you can only ask him questions about a decision he's made in the past. Example:

Why did you make Owen Hart take that risk at Over the Edge.

Something of that nature.