• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

"Ashley X": Parents gone too far...?

M

Moiraine

I heard this story on the news the other night and I seriously questioned the parents' motives when they decided to keep their mentally retarded daughter a child. ( story here: http://www.myfoxhouston.com/myfox/p...n=4&locale=EN-US&layoutCode=TSTY&pageId=3.5.1)
Did the parents go too far? I think it is similar to cruelty cases of when decades ago they sterilized the mentally ill and retarded so they wouldn't reproduce. (I'll have to research the exact specifics of the court cases later...)
While they may have had good intentions, is there a point when medicine goes too far? I feel like they have killed her in some way. I realize Ashley will never be independent or have a need for reproductive organs, but they have drastically altered her growing process, an essential part of life.

Kazmarov

For a Free Scotland
Well, the doctors didn't say that the treatment was wrong, and they seem to have a good intention and argument for what they did.

I mean, she probably can't notice that she isn't growing, and she might be in less pain because of it, so at least on paper it's a good choice. The doctor quoted did say that only time will tell.

Iris

rainbow 11!
If she is like a baby mentally, and babies like to be carried around and such, won't it be easier for them and her? It would be much harder for them to take care of an adult. I just hope everything goes well for her.

Vidic15

No Custom Title Exists
V.I.P.
Now I remember that name. I read this in the newspaper (yes, I read newspaper) about couple of days ago and I saw this article. I really feel sorry for the girls and it's going to be hard to grow up like this. And let's hope before she starts school she can talk and walk. And this is the first time I have heard that someone so young is going through puberty in such a young age. And I just wonder how is she going to be in her 20 or even in her 40s. I really hope that everything goes good for the years to come. What do you think? Will she die before she even turns 20?. Her chances of beating this is 1 in million.

N

Nespa

It may seem sad yes but it is understandable as wel. If my knowledge is right than she can become unhandable if she gets in her puberty and has the chance to put in a special home for those kids. However more often than not there is no room for those childeren and they end up on a waiting list. so whats sadder teh fact that she wil perhaps become onhandable or that she stays small and easyer to handel. It's does not really worsen her condition anyway.

raddmadd

Registered Member
if shes mentally retarded, would she be able to have kids when shes older in the first place? ehh idk, i wouldn't do that to my daughter. but i don't know enough about this i guess.

Kazmarov

For a Free Scotland
Theorhetically yes, but in practice it'd be silly (she would have no capacity to raise children) assuming it's not a disorder that renders impotence.

But hey, hereditary breast cancer would cause a lot of suffering to the child when she grew up, so I think it seems like an informed decision. I support the right to choose, if not the choice itself.

pikatore

Registered Member
Why don't they just lop her arms off and carry her around in a briefcase?

She is a human being, which will never even go through puberty, and die a drug pumped, deformed FREAK. She will not know what it is like to grow up and grow old, or go through puberty. She will live a strange life. How could they do it to her, other than simply of practicality?

Kazmarov

For a Free Scotland
Why don't they just lop her arms off and carry her around in a briefcase?
That's not acting in the child's best interests, of course.

She is a human being, which will never even go through puberty, and die a drug pumped, deformed FREAK.
She's barely concious, except for pain. I don't think there's anything anyone can do to make her not a 'freak' as you say it.

How could they do it to her, other than simply of practicality?
Because they love her, and it's hard to see a loved one in pain. If puberty would simply increase her pain, than a compassionate parent would consider stopping it from occuring.