Artificial Sweeteners?

Discussion in 'Food & Beverage' started by icegoat63, Jul 28, 2008.

1. icegoat63

icegoat63 Son of Liberty V.I.P. Lifetime

Just fixed myself a glass of iced tea and I got to thinking, its been an extremely long time since I've used real sugar. Its just easier and faster to use an artificial sugar anymore, they sweeten it faster, you dont have to wait for it to dissolve like you do with real sugar. Mostly I just use the pink one (sweet n low) but it doesnt bug me to use splenda or whatever that light blue packet is. Just as long as they sweeten my iced tea to my liking I'm usually happy.

Who uses Artificial Sweeteners? More importantly which kinds?

2. Boredie

Boredie In need of Entertainment

I don't use them, they have a nasty after taste IMO.
    I prefer little or no regular sugar.

3. AngelsPeak

AngelsPeak Wanna play?

I use to..all the time. Now I drink my coffee black and I've given up diet pop, so I haven't had any for a bit now.

4. Blueyes

Blueyes Registered Member

I have Splenda at home because I can buy a big bag and store it in a container to scoop out whatever amount I need.

At restaurants I'll go for the pink ones, then the Splenda if they have it, then the blue ones. Otherwise if I don't see anything I'll get a Diet Coke and if they offer only Pepsi products then I'll get water because I despise Pepsi.

5. icegoat63

icegoat63 Son of Liberty V.I.P. Lifetime

How about in cooking?

I have a small box of sweet'n'low here that actually has conversions on it. Basically the amount of packets to replace so many teaspoons in a recipe. Has anyone capitalized on that before?

I dunno if I'd ever take a sweetener that far away from iced Tea.

6. Blueyes

Blueyes Registered Member

Actually that is why I bought the big bag to begin with because I use that in baking things and I have found you do need to add a little more than what they deem as an equivalent for sugar. I have also found it is not good in a few things so I do keep regular sugar around for those things like spaghetti sauce.

7. Oooh_snap

Oooh_snap Living on the 0th floor V.I.P. Lifetime

In my tea I use a mix of sweet-n-low and equal (the blue packet).. In coffee I use sweet-n-low only...

I never use splenda.. I think it is disgusting, but I don't know why it just tastes terrible to me.

In baking I just use real sugar.

8. Boredie

Boredie In need of Entertainment

My mum uses natural date syrup as a sweetner instead of sugar. Granted it is almost as equivilent to sugar, but much more healthy.
    Also she uses apple puree (sauce) instead of oil when she bakes cakes.