Artest, Lakers reach verbal agreement

Discussion in 'NBA' started by Babe_Ruth, Jul 3, 2009.

1. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

Artest, Lakers reach verbal agreement - FOX Sports on MSN

The Lakers lost Ariza to the Rockets, but they've gained arguably the best defender in the league. I know Artest can be a head case at times, but I believe he's really matured in recent years. Also he said that he wants to win a Championship, so he'll accept whatever role he's given in LA. He's definitely going to help them in a lot of different situations, especially on the defensive side of the ball.

2. Mirage

Mirage Administrator Staff Member V.I.P.

Personally I'm not sure why Ariza would leave the Laker's. They had just won a championship and everything. The Rockets have been great as well though and should make it far into the playoffs next year as well, especially if Yao Ming is back at full capacity.

It's funny how Artest is leaving the Rockets to go to the Laker's. I'm sure they are happy about this. They couldn't afford to keep Ariza but Artest is taking a pay cut just to go to them.

3. Babe_Ruth

Yao Ming is probably going to miss the whole 2009-2010 season. His career might be over actually. Only time will tell.

I think that Ariza wanted more money, and wanted to be a star on a team, he's over-shadowed by many great players on this Lakers squad and I believe that's one of the reasons why he left.

He also already won a Championship, I doubt he would leave if he didn't win one.

4. CaptainObvious

CaptainObvious Son of Liberty V.I.P.

As a Spurs fan, I hated hearing about this. After we got Richard Jefferson it looked like SA was the team to beat next year, I think that's swung back to LA, unfortunately.

5. Babe_Ruth

Jefferson and Artest are probably the same player on the offensive side, but Artest sky rockets over him when it comes to defense. I think one of the biggest problems with the Lakers during their last two years is that they haven't had a shut down defender, not even Kobe is a shut down defender. Artest will fill that role really well.

6. Marvelous1

Marvelous1 Registered Member

I'll be interested to see if Ron Artest and Kobe Bryant can co-exist on the same team. I guess if any coach can make that happen its Phil Jackson!

7. Babe_Ruth

I think they'll be able to co-exist, Ron Artest as a lot of respect for Kobe Bryant, he knows that this is Kobe's team and not his. He'll have to adapt to taking less shots and such, but he wants a ring so I'm sure he'll do whatever Coach Jackson wants him to do. Which will be hard nose defense and grab rebounds and score when called upon.

8. CaptainObvious

CaptainObvious Son of Liberty V.I.P.

I think they'll be able to also. He's not the most mature player in the league, but he has grown up some in the last couple of seasons. Plus, as BR said, the possibility of winning a ring changes a lot.