Arrogant Americans?

Bananas

Endangered Species
http://www.generalforum.com/878255-post46.html
[URL="http://www.generalforum.com/members/smelnick.html" said:
Smelnick[/URL];]Mod post

Guys, you're getting off topic. If you would like to discuss american politians, and the arrogance of americans, then feel free to make new threads.

Let's get back to discussing healthcare please.
This was written in another thread so I thought it would be a [strike]good[/strike] interesting idea to discuss and take Smelnicks prompt to start a thread.

Some things to consider;

Do you feel Americans are seen as being arrogant, either by foreign perception or self perception? ....are these perceptions correct or misguided? Why might these perceptions exist?

The very nature of this thread is a recipe for disaster, so I ask if everyone remain tactile and respectful then I hope nobody will be offended by any criticisms. This could be a very interesting topic to discuss if it is discussed properly and with courtesy.

Before anyone asks, Ill leave my response to these questions a little while (useful ammo to pull the thread back on track if it disintegrates).

Daemonic

Registered Member
I don't feel a yes or no answer to this question would be correct. I'm sure there are foreign people that view Americans as arrogant. I doubt everyone does...

I know their are Americans that view Americans as arrogant. This is not correct or incorrect, some are arrogant, others are not. There is no right answer because nobody can speak for all Americans or foreigners.

Ilus_Unistus

Registered Member
http://www.generalforum.com/878255-post46.html

This was written in another thread so I thought it would be a good interesting idea to discuss and take Smelnicks prompt to start a thread.

Some things to consider;

Do you feel Americans are seen as being arrogant, either by foreign perception or self perception? ....are these perceptions correct or misguided? Why might these perceptions exist?

The very nature of this thread is a recipe for disaster, so I ask if everyone remain tactile and respectful then I hope nobody will be offended by any criticisms. This could be a very interesting topic to discuss if it is discussed properly and with courtesy.

Before anyone asks, Ill leave my response to these questions a little while (useful ammo to pull the thread back on track if it disintegrates).

First I wish to say English is second to me, there is much I do not know of it or uses. With this, in what I say I do not mean to offend ANYONE, I give only a general opinion.

Where I live in Estonia is a popular beach/club place and very popular vacation place for many tourist from all nationalities. I base my opinion of Americans in general to what I see and how they act. I am not claiming ALL Americans in any way are as I say. I have met many who are decent respectful people.

All that said... I will tell you now my opinion and things that bring me to this.

In general, I think Americans are the most arrogant and disrespectful of any nationality. I can not be 100% sure of why this is, but to me Americans I see here act as though they "own" everything they see. I work as hostess in restaurant and no other nationality treats me or others I see with less respect. It is as we are here for their convenience no matter if is at work or at the beach. They say rude comments, treat Eesti culture as some joke to them, even insult the Eesti language its self with rude comments.

One comment from an American I will never forget, he said to me while I was working and seated him and his guests "Darling, your English sucks, but your cute so I will let this slide, and at least its better than the German you would be speaking if America didnt save you all lol".

First of all America didnt save anyone in Estonia, Estonia had the rare privilege to not only go to war with Germany, but Russia as well, at the same time. When Estonia finally fell to Germany most of the Estonian Navy war ships escaped to England where the crews and ships were "used" by American and English to fight the Nazi's. Then over 25% of the entire Estonian population was exterminated by Hitler as he promised he would do if the USA set foot in Europe. With this threat where did the USA go? France... who's military folded to Germany in what... 3 days? and fought for the Nazi's themselves. So for this person to say this comment to me was about the most rude, disrespectful comment I have ever heard in my life.

This not only was very disrespectful but wrong. Americans think they won WW2, when in reality no nation killed more Germans or lost more men in battle than Russia, and because Russia defeated Estonia only months before Germany attacked, Estonia fought as Russia, even though the real Russians ran at the sight of the approaching Germans.

That is only 1 example and not how I base my overall opinion, but this one stands out to me.

I am not alone in my views, many here and much of Europe see this as well from Americans.

Estonia sounds like a pretty interesting country. I might need to look up it's history.

As an American:

Yes I believe Americans are arrogant. We are taught from an early age to have an almost insane sense of nationalism. "We are the best country, we are one of the richest, we are the best at wars, we are the most technologiclly advance, we kick ass."

Whether or not these labels we try to give ourselves are correct, (most are not) it is what society force feeds us. Now, I agree the more ignorant the American is the more arrogant they are, typically.

There are exceptions, of course, but over all I'd have to agree that the American culture is one of the most arrogant cultures, possibly in written history.

In general, I think Americans are the most arrogant and disrespectful of any nationality.
Your opinion seems to be based on a few tourists you've encountered. I wonder what you would think if I were to base my opinion of your country's people strictly on the way you come across in your posts. Does that seem fair to you?

The only way to appreciate or understand a culture is to spend time immersed in it, not by forming an opinion because a few (possibly tipsy) tourists offended you.

I know more selfless Americans than arrogant, and since I happen to live amongst them every single day I'd say it's a pretty valid opinion.

Pugz

Ms. Malone
V.I.P.
Estonia sounds like a pretty interesting country. I might need to look up it's history.

As an American:

Yes I believe Americans are arrogant. We are taught from an early age to have an almost insane sense of nationalism. "We are the best country, we are one of the richest, we are the best at wars, we are the most technologiclly advance, we kick ass."
Japan is probably the most technologically advanced :lol: They're building a proper Gundam!

Some American's seem all high and mighty because of their right to own firearms and the insane sense of nationalism probably doesn't help either - but going around saying they won WW2 and 'saved' us Brits and other countries from being German is pushing it, in my opinion :-/

Ilus_Unistus

Registered Member
Your opinion seems to be based on a few tourists you've encountered. I wonder what you would think if I were to base my opinion of your country's people strictly on the way you come across in your posts. Does that seem fair to you?

The only way to appreciate or understand a culture is to spend time immersed in it, not by forming an opinion because a few (possibly tipsy) tourists offended you.

I know more selfless Americans than arrogant, and since I happen to live amongst them every single day I'd say it's a pretty valid opinion.

I have met and seen in my 17 years I am sure 1000's of Americans to visit here, this is not just a few isolated cases I base my opinion on. Of these 1000's MOST are arrogant and or disrespectful.

You seem to take this as I single you out, I do not, I am giving to you my view of Americans in general as I and most here see them. I am positive there are Millions of respectful humble Americans, but I can honestly say most that come to Estonia are not. This is not directed at any particular American as you would know if you read my first post.

I do not try to be arrogant or disrespectful to anyone, I give my opinion as was asked. If this is something you take personal then I can do nothing of this.

CaptainObvious

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.

This is my exact thinking as well. I think the sample she is basing it on is much to small to make such an opinion.

I also agree I know much more selfless Americans than arrogant.

I disagree that we are taught an insane amout of nationalism, I have no problem with nationalism or patriotism at all. I do agree however that our history is badly taught especially in the point about WWII, but that's a subject of another thread.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
From my experience of visiting Florida, Las Vegas and Cancun(there was lots of Americans there) I thought they were fairly nice. One of the reasons why I believe they were really nice is because me and my bunch of friends told them we were Canadian and we were really friendly with them. They simply fell in love with us, the amount of friends we made in a weeks time is unbelievable.

Now to answer the OP, I believe some Americans are portrayed by other countries as arrogant since they make them out to be the best, and no one is superior to them. Now, I personally don't see that myself, but a lot of people do think that way.

Last edited:

AnitaKnapp

It's not me, it's you.
V.I.P.
Even so, a lot of foreign people I have talked to have had the same experiences with Americans as Ilus has. I've heard from many about how Americans are perceived as arrogant.

It could be personal experience, it could be media portraying Americans who are arrogant more than the kind hearted, generous ones. Just like anywhere, there are going to be people on both sides of the spectrum...and it's up to us to change that perception instead of arguing with it.