Arriving Before You Start

Do you arrive early, or on time?

• Total voters

Chaos

Epic Gamer
V.I.P.
Lately my boss has been complaining because I always arrive bang on time. I start at 5.00pm, so I arrive at 5.00pm and start straight away. However, she thinks I should arrive five/ten minutes earlier. :-/ Like hell I am; I'm not getting paid to start at 4.50pm, I'm getting paid to start at 5.00pm.

Do you think it's better to arrive early for your job if you're not getting paid for that extra time? Or do you just arrive at the time you start and begin right away?

pro2A

Hell, It's about time!
I always arrive early. It gives me time to get ready for my shift. I always leave early anyway in case there is an accident or the road is closed. It's good form to show up a little early for your shift.

Also if I arrive right when I am scheduled, it may take me a minute or two to get clocked in or what ever else I need to do. If I'm there early I don't have to worry about rushing to clock in.

Last edited:

PretzelCorps

Registered Member
I agree with Pro, I'd prefer to arrive early; what's an extra ten minutes, anyways... Eventually, going above and beyond the line of duty pays off, in one way or another.

Oooh_snap

Living on the 0th floor
V.I.P.
As far as work goes I mostly work on my own schedule, but when I have a certain time to be there I get there with just enough time to clock in and be there on time. If you arent getting paid to be there early then I dont see the point. Although I guess it makes you look better to show up early and be all ready to go.

I dont get paid for being at the hospital so I show up right on the dot. Unless I am way early or there is a trauma in the ER. In those cases I start whenever I can.

AnitaKnapp

It's not me, it's you.
V.I.P.
I normally arrive late, or right on time. There was a time that I arrived 5-10 minutes early, but that time is now gone.

I would try to arrive 5 minutes early, that would be my ideal target, it just never happens.

I get there literally about 2 minutes before I start. Thats because you have to electronically sign in and if you're even 1 minute late you get 15 mins docked off of your pay. I don't get there early anymore because the manager waits until bang on time to tell me what to do, so otherwise I'm just standing around feeling awkward. :cute:

Its easy to judge the time I need to leave my house in order to get there 2 mins early because it only takes me about a minute to walk to work :D

Hiei

The Hierophant
When it comes to being on time at work I go with the mantra "Five mins early is on time and on time is late."

Which is still pretty much right on time, but it still allows for some flex.

Shwa

Gay As Fuck
V.I.P.
I arrive early most of the time unless I hit traffic or something along those lines. But I get crap from my bosses as well about being timely, but they won't let me clock in early so I can at least start when I get there. It sucks, but if I happen to come like 10 mins early I would usually grab something to eat or listen to music in my car before starting work.

~Shwa

Arriving early for an interview or work isn't such a big thing. It's good to have more time for finishing work than colleageus who clock in late, in a semi dazed state.

English-Emo-Boy

Supreme System Lord
V.I.P.
Lately my boss has been complaining because I always arrive bang on time. I start at 5.00pm, so I arrive at 5.00pm and start straight away. However, she thinks I should arrive five/ten minutes earlier. :-/ Like hell I am; I'm not getting paid to start at 4.50pm, I'm getting paid to start at 5.00pm.

Do you think it's better to arrive early for your job if you're not getting paid for that extra time? Or do you just arrive at the time you start and begin right away?

You know Chaos. It's all about showing initiative and thinking outside the box. Maybe starting ten munites earlier each day would show your employer you mean business and may get some appreciation........yeah right, what a load of bollocks.

I'm with you on this one, if you were getting there at 5:00 and starting at 5:05 then fair enough, but as you're starting on time there shouldn't be a problem. You're doing the time that you're paid for.

Maybe your current employer is a bastard. If you need the job, which in this economic climate I presume you do, then you might just have to toe the line and comply.

I pretty much get in the office dead on 9:00. My boss has never mentioned it so I guess it's not an issue. Though I wouldn't want to start taking liberties and arriving late.