• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Army helicopter pilots quit in payment row

thealigator

Registered Member
Army helicopter pilots quit in overpayment row

Fifteen of the Army's most experienced helicopter pilots quit in a dispute over a demand they repay wages given to them in error, documents have revealed.A freedom of information request showed £829,000 in overpayments had been made to 210 pilots between 2007 and 2013, because of the administrative mistake.

Some aircrew had queried their rates but been assured they were correct.

The Army said it was considering the debts owed by serving and retired pilots on a "case-by-case basis".
According to an internal audit report, the action to recover sums of up to £30,000 from the pilots and instructors had continued despite officials accepting the money had been taken "in good faith".
Source: BBC News

I personally think this is wrong. Whatever job you have if your employer states that what you recieve is what you recieve it should be the end of it. These me and women should not have to pay a penny back in my opinon. It was a mistake on the part of the payrole and it is there mistake alone.

These people are involved in some of the most atrocious situations any of us will ever see, to this almost feels like a slap in the face. But what is your take on this? Should they be forced to give the money back? Is it because of cost cutting measure this has come to light?

NewGamePlus

Registered Member
Who gets hurt the most? Is the government really aching that badly for funds that they MUST have it back, or do these people who got paid really need that money to meet their needs more?

Personally I wouldn't mind them giving it back IF AND ONLY IF they were buying luxury items with it instead of doing something needed or constructive. However, given that we're not all super duper well off and probably spending stuff like that on needs more than anything, I say keep it. It's entirely a case of who gets hurt the most and how we prevent it the best.