• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Arming the Iraqi Kurds

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
As you have probably heard the US is giving more arms to the Iraqi army. We can only hope ISIS doesn't end up with them too. They have already turned tail and ran once leaving a lot of equipment for them to take. I'm not sure they are ready for anything. The government keeps blaming that on poor leadership.

What I don't understand is why we don't give arms to the Iraqi Kurds. They have proven the will to fight ISIS and have done more to beat them back than anyone else. If it wasn't for them ISIS would control much more of Iraq than they do. Americans and people from other countries have even been going over to join them. Why not arm them better?

Thoughts?

Edit: U.S. arms flow to Iraq ahead of planned Mosul offensive - Yahoo News

Last edited:

Knight_of_Albion

Registered Member
The Kurds dream of an independent and greater Kurdistan i.e. unifying Kurdish communities in N.Iraq, East Syria, the NW corner of Iran, and a large section of SE Turkey. This is why the Turks have kept out of the fighting. [They've been battling Kurdish separatists for years.]

The Turks have a large enough standing army to be in Raqqa within a week if they decided to put the hammer down against ISIS.

Having a counterbalance to battle both their regional enemies, the Kurds and Assad, suits their game.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
The Kurds dream of an independent and greater Kurdistan i.e. unifying Kurdish communities in N.Iraq, East Syria, the NW corner of Iran, and a large section of SE Turkey. This is why the Turks have kept out of the fighting. [They've been battling Kurdish separatists for years.]

The Turks have a large enough standing army to be in Raqqa within a week if they decided to put the hammer down against ISIS.

Having a counterbalance to battle both their regional enemies, the Kurds and Assad, suits their game.
Considering the Kurds are the only one that are doing anything and they don't appear to be as oppressive towards women I think they deserve their own state. Still wish someone would give them some arms. Looks like we have everyone else.
------
Sounds like we have been arming everyone but the Kurds. Like Stewart said that money would have went a long way towards our infrastructure.

Last edited:

MenInTights

not a plastic bag
I saw the Persmega brought to Baghdad is cages and something is wrong over there. Every Iraqi has a gun so when ISIS is parading the Kurds around in cages, why don't the Iraqi's kill ISIS? Its a culture we don't understand. If you won't fight for your country and your freedom, what can we as Americans do? We've spent 15 years overthrowing the dictators in that region. That was the worst mistake we've ever made as a nation.

Knight_of_Albion

Registered Member
I saw the Persmega brought to Baghdad is cages and something is wrong over there. Every Iraqi has a gun so when ISIS is parading the Kurds around in cages, why don't the Iraqi's kill ISIS? Its a culture we don't understand. If you won't fight for your country and your freedom, what can we as Americans do? We've spent 15 years overthrowing the dictators in that region. That was the worst mistake we've ever made as a nation.

It's religion again. ISIS are Sunni Muslim.
The Iraqis in west and central Iraq are Sunni Muslim.
The Iraqis in the southern part are Shia Muslims.

Saddam for all his faults kept the lid on sectarian differences. Since he left the stage, there has been a virtual undercover civil war going on in Iraq.

The previous Iraqi government was predominantly Shia and they discriminated against the Sunni. Which is why the Sunni Iraqis welcomed ISIS.

The new Iraqi government is more mixed, but there are still serious trust issues on both sides.

As you say, IF the Sunni Iraqis switched sides, ISIS would be finished soon enough, at least in Iraq.
I'm sure that day will come, but until then ... What a mess.
------
Considering the Kurds are the only one that are doing anything and they don't appear to be as oppressive towards women I think they deserve their own state. Still wish someone would give them some arms. Looks like we have everyone else.
I suspect the Turks have been pulling on Obama's shirt tails to stop him arming the Kurds to the teeth.

A large chunk of SE Turkey is ethnic Kurd. The people there want to be part of an independent Kurdish nation. The Turks want to keep their country together.

The Turks know if the Kurds were armed up to defeat ISIS and they did, much of that weaponry would then be coming across the border to rekindle the Kurdish resistance - the PKK - against them.

Last edited:

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
I have to agree taking Saddam out was the worst mistake we ever made. He was a tyrant for sure but he kept them in line by being a tyrant. The only thing we should have kept up was the no fly zone over the Kurds in the north.

If they won't fight for their own freedom there isn't much we can do because I don't want to keep military over there forever. The Kurds seem to be the only ones interested in fighting ISIS.

I don't understand them at all. The Sunnis seem to think they are the only real Muslims and the Shiites and everyone else are infidels. They should just learn to live with each others differences. They all would be much better off.
------
It's religion again. ISIS are Sunni Muslim.
The Iraqis in west and central Iraq are Sunni Muslim.
The Iraqis in the southern part are Shia Muslims.

Saddam for all his faults kept the lid on sectarian differences. Since he left the stage, there has been a virtual undercover civil war going on in Iraq.

The previous Iraqi government was predominantly Shia and they discriminated against the Sunni. Which is why the Sunni Iraqis welcomed ISIS.

The new Iraqi government is more mixed, but there are still serious trust issues on both sides.

As you say, IF the Sunni Iraqis switched sides, ISIS would be finished soon enough, at least in Iraq.
I'm sure that day will come, but until then ... What a mess.
------

I suspect the Turks have been pulling on Obama's shirt tails to stop him arming the Kurds to the teeth.

A large chunk of SE Turkey is ethnic Kurd. The people there want to be part of an independent Kurdish nation. The Turks want to keep their country together.

The Turks know if the Kurds were armed up to defeat ISIS and they did, much of that weaponry would then be coming across the border to rekindle the Kurdish resistance - the PKK - against them.
I wonder why the Turkish Kurds want a separate country so bad. Were they mistreated by the Turkish government? Are they not allowed any say on how that government is run? I know Saddam gave the Iraqi Kurds hell and that is probably why they want to be separate from Iraq. I don't think they have a lot of say in the new Iraqi government. Correct me on that if I am wrong.

Last edited: