• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Armed SWAT Teams To Patrol Streets

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
Paragould Arkansas is going to have armed swat teams patrolling their streets come 2013. If they see you out walking they are going to ask for ID and why you are out even if you are walking your dog. They say its because of the high crime rate in this city of 25,000.

I think this is a little much myself. If their crime rate is so high have more officers patrolling the streets but don't be stopping everyone and asking for ID. Seems too Nazi Germany to me. What do you think about this?

Armed task force to patrol streets

Armed SWAT Teams To Patrol Streets In Arkansas City

Paragould, Arkansas Police to Check Everyone's ID in 2013

CaptainObvious

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
Oh great, I can't wait for the "America is so horrible, it's because of all their guns. I would hate to be an American, blah, blah, blah".

If I'm walking my dog and some clown asks me for ID just because I'm telling him to shove it. They can't just randomly ask you for ID and use their crime rate as an excuse. They need to have reasoble suspicion for a Terry stop. Past crimes and you just being outside does not constitute reasonable suspicion. I've had some of these conversations with brain dead city cops before when I've been pulled over.

Exhibit "A"

"If you're out walking, we're going to stop you, ask why you're out walking, check for your ID. To ask you for your ID, I have to have a reason. Well, I've got statistical reasons that say I've got a lot of crime right now, which gives me probable cause ....
You are a flippin' idiot if you think past crime stats gives you probable cause.

I was pulled over not too long ago and after giving the officer my license and proof of insurance and he told me why he pulled me over the conversation went like this:

Cop: Where are you headed?
Me: None of your business.
Cop: (after staring at me for a few seconds): You're not going to tell me where you are headed?
Me: No, because it's none of your business.
Cop: Where are you coming from?
Me: None of your business.
Cop: You know I can ask you where you are coming from and where you are going, right?
Me: Sure, and I don't have to answer because me speeding isn't your probable cause to know where I am coming from and where I am going. Those things are none of your business and I'm not answering. Now give me my ticket so I can go unless you tell me what your probable cause is, or I have you for false imprisonment since you are unnecessarily delaying me with questions that go beyond what you are constitutionally permitted to ask.

He gave me the ticket immediately and handed my license back and just walked off.

Last edited:

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
Good for you CO. Cops sometimes take more liberties than is legally allowed and need to be told about it. I have to admit I was wanting to know what you had to say about this.

It made me think of the Youtube videos where cops have set people up because they weren't cooperative. That is what scares me when standing up for your rights. If you aren't well off enough to hire a lawyer they can really rail road you.

If they do this I would hate to live in that town. I was reading this forum that is in every town and not all the people in Paragould are happy about this.

ysabel

/ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5
How does asking for an ID lower crime rate in this town? I'm not getting the connection. I understand if if they want to question people in the area if there are reports of suspicious activity, to get more information. But random ID checks serves what exactly?

CaptainObvious

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
Good for you CO. Cops sometimes take more liberties than is legally allowed and need to be told about it. I have to admit I was wanting to know what you had to say about this.

It made me think of the Youtube videos where cops have set people up because they weren't cooperative. That is what scares me when standing up for your rights. If you aren't well off enough to hire a lawyer they can really rail road you.

If they do this I would hate to live in that town. I was reading this forum that is in every town and not all the people in Paragould are happy about this.
Yes they can. I had a run in with a Texas state trooper, like these clowns, once and they are known for being real assholes. It's too long a story but I will say during the exchange I said, "As a lawyer and you as an officer you and I both know what you are doing is violating the 4th Amendment, well at least I do. So do you want to give me my ticket or do you want to continue violating my constitutional rights?" He just stared at me like he wanted to punch me and I just stared back at him, of course I knew his dashboard camera was on, and after about 10 seconds of him staring he handed my license back and just gave me a warning. The messed up thing is if I weren't versed in the law he could have continued being an ass and no one would have known and he would have continued violating my constitutional rights.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
I know we don't always agree but I'm glad there are people like you around CO.

Ysabel they won't do much good at all. Because the people that are committing the crimes will keep low until they get tired of doing this or go somewhere else to commit their crimes. They will also cause people that were doing their shopping there that doesn't live there to avoid the town. I do believe they need a few more cops patrolling the streets at night if crime is that bad there but I think this is going overboard.