• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Arkansas and Indiana anti-LGBT bill

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
What's wrong with these two states. You can't legislate discrimination like this. I wouldn't be surprised if they are sued over it as they should be.

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2015/03/...nti-lgbt-bill-similar-to-one-roiling-indiana/

If being gay is against your beliefs then don't be gay but it shouldn't give you the right to discriminate.

Happy that Wal-Marts and Apple has come out against it. Maybe they can talk some sense into these morons.

Thoughts?

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
These laws are basically saying that it's acceptable to use religion as an excuse to discriminate against other groups of people. It's really disgusting.

Wal-Mart and Apple and other major corporations should put their money where their mouth is and boycott these states.

dDave

V.I.P.
I'm pretty sure we've had this discussion on here before concerning businesses being allowed to refuse service for say baking a gay wedding cake.

I still don't think a Christian business owner should be forced to bake a cake for a gay wedding. I also don't think a church should be forced to host a gay marriage.

The_Chameleon

Grandmaster
I still don't think a Christian business owner should be forced to bake a cake for a gay wedding. I also don't think a church should be forced to host a gay marriage.
I agree with this... When it comes to religious ceremonies or things that relate thereto, there should be a statute that says Christian groups or individuals may opt out, even if it means refusing business. However, beyond this, businesses should be required to serve the LBGT demographic as they would any other member of the general public. This Indiana law goes too far in the other direction and is reminiscent of the racial segregation of the 60's. It's pathetic.

Now, as to the bathroom issue... For the comfort of the other customers, having a dedicated washroom for "other" may not be a bad idea. A man dressed as a woman is still a man, and even if he's had his willy nipped off, he's still physiologically male in all other respects. If HE goes into a ladies washroom, it would not be unexpected for women already present there to become uncomfortable. Let the gender benders have their own washroom. What's wrong with that? Either that, or get rid of sexually segregated washrooms altogether. By the same argument, requiring men and women to use different bathrooms is sexist.

- Cham

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
I don't think a church should be forced to host a gay wedding but if you are a business owner, open to the public, you should not be allowed to discriminate.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
These laws are basically saying that it's acceptable to use religion as an excuse to discriminate against other groups of people. It's really disgusting.

Wal-Mart and Apple and other major corporations should put their money where their mouth is and boycott these states.
I agree they do need to put their money where their mouth is. Sounds like at least one business won't be adding any more jobs in Arkansas.

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2015/03/...ti-lgbt-bill-could-spur-massive-tech-boycott/

The_Chameleon

Grandmaster
I've seen this sort of thing before. We're going to see the backlash effect. One group goes too far with an idea, then the opposing group put so much pressure on that group that they affect public opinion to absurd extremes, resulting in their agenda taking supreme precedence. If this becomes the case here, as I suspect it will, not only will it become mandatory for churches to host gay weddings, but trendy. The gay community will invade Indiana and Arkansas to get married there and patronage those establishments that are least comfortable with them. Within 5 years these places will be hosting gay/LBGT/whatever parades. The rainbow flag will be flown above the State flag and conservatives will be walking on eggshells for fear of being sued.

- Cham

CaptainObvious

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
To be fair I haven't read either bill so I don't know if one can be discriminated against because of it. This Raw Story link is spin. It might be accurate, or it might not. People's reaction to it might be accurate or might not.

That said, I don't believe anyone freedom to exercise their religion should be infringed. If it could, then we COULD have mandatory church service. As a sidenote, I always find it interesting how some people read some parts of the Comstitution very literally and narrowly and other parts very broadly.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.

The_Chameleon

Grandmaster
Prediction: Within the next several years a US political figure will publicly use the term "Outdated document" (or words to that effect) in reference to the Constitution, and will advocate abolishing it.

- Cham