• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Arguing with God

Mirage

Secret Agent
Staff member
V.I.P.
What do you think of this quote from C.S. Lewis?

‎"Perhaps we feel inclined to disagree with Him. But there is a difficulty about disagreeing with God. He is the source from which all your reasoning power comes: you could not be right and He wrong any more than a stream can rise higher that its own source. When you are arguing against Him you are arguing against the very power that makes you able to argue at all..." C.S. Lewis

I came across it today and found it to be a really interesting way of putting things.

EllyDicious

made of AMBIGUITY
V.I.P.
That depends.
For those who believe in God it's difficult to argue with him. For those who don't believe in Him, then there's no argument at all. You can't argue with something that doesn't exist.

Bananas

Endangered Species
‎"Perhaps we feel inclined to disagree with Him. But there is a difficulty about disagreeing with God. He is the source from which all your reasoning power comes: you could not be right and He wrong any more than a stream can rise higher that its own source. When you are arguing against Him you are arguing against the very power that makes you able to argue at all..." C.S. Lewis
I see no reason why you cant disagree and still both be right.

====

What I disagree with in the quote is the assumption that "God" can not be wrong. What is right by one does not have to be right by all, and that includes deities and people alike.

Mirage

Secret Agent
Staff member
V.I.P.
What I disagree with in the quote is the assumption that "God" can not be wrong. What is right by one does not have to be right by all, and that includes deities and people alike.
I'd be interested in hearing more on your stance here. Obviously, for the sake of the argument let's assume there is a God. Now, how can he be wrong? How can the highest possible being by which right and wrong are determined be wrong?

Dabs

Registered Member
I'd be interested in hearing more on your stance here. Obviously, for the sake of the argument let's assume there is a God. Now, how can he be wrong? How can the highest possible being by which right and wrong are determined be wrong?

I'd like to know this myself.
If there is such a God.....why is there famine and murders and rapes and children being molested??
People who are tormented...people who are abused....children who are dumped in waters......why all this?
Because all that is wrong, and doesn't anyone wonder, why...if this God loves us all so much, he allows such horrific things to happen??

Bananas

Endangered Species
How can the highest possible being by which right and wrong are determined be wrong?
Only if you can answer how the lower possible being consider what is right and wrong by the highest possible beings determination can you even contemplate your question.

You have set a hierarchy of superiority. There is no reason why right and wrong should traverse this tier, it often does not make the leap between the tiny layers of humanity, to think that what "God" determines right or wrong should also apply to us would mean that the hierarchy must be removed.

generalblue

Where is my Queen?
I'd like to know this myself.
If there is such a God.....why is there famine and murders and rapes and children being molested??
People who are tormented...people who are abused....children who are dumped in waters......why all this?
Because all that is wrong, and doesn't anyone wonder, why...if this God loves us all so much, he allows such horrific things to happen??
It will be us that will destroy this Earth. People being tormented is not God's doing but it is our doing. Crimes are committed by people not God. God gave us freewill to do whatever we want on this planet. When the time comes and we have gone to far, I am pretty sure He will save the believers and all the other good hearted people as well from this world. What you mentioned Dabs has nothing to do with God but has everything to do with us.

Dabs

Registered Member
It will be us that will destroy this Earth. People being tormented is not God's doing but it is our doing. Crimes are committed by people not God. God gave us freewill to do whatever we want on this planet. When the time comes and we have gone to far, I am pretty sure He will save the believers and all the other good hearted people as well from this world. What you mentioned Dabs has nothing to do with God but has everything to do with us.

Well that sucks :lol:
Anyway....I see what you're saying....I don't know a whole helluva lot about religion, I was just hoping I could see an answer that I might agree with or understand.

Bananas

Endangered Species
Do you think it is right for God to allow humans to do wrong?

...and do you think it is wrong for God to do right something that we feel is wrong?

Mirage

Secret Agent
Staff member
V.I.P.
Do you think it is right for God to allow humans to do wrong?
It's not a matter of right or wrong. We cannot be perfect, and therefore could not exist in a reality where we were not allowed to do wrong. So the question you are actually asking is "Do you think it is right for God to allow us to exist?"

...and do you think it is wrong for God to do right something that we feel is wrong?
Who are we to argue otherwise?