ARGH.. idiots!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by fairyquadmother, May 16, 2005.

1. fairyquadmother

fairyquadmother Registered Member

I'm so annoyed at the moment.

My son (10) has been begging me for a laptop for months. Going on ebay and wanting this and that. He had some $$ from his paper route, so I let him buy a VERY OLD toshiba that the guy said works, has some games on it, etc. I thought that'd be good enough for a kid to play around with (while I look for a better laptop at a reasonable price for him to have).

So that was April 20th. EVERY DAY, my son asks if his package came. I keep telling him no and he's getting really pissy with me.

MAY 4 I write him, and ask where it is he says "Post office was under renovations, so just got shipped out today. Cost a
    little more because of weight and size, but that is alright. It's on it's
    way. Thank you."

OK, key to that was it was more to ship than I paid him. (not my fault).

So kid still keeps bugging me about it. I go into the po today to pick up an overnight package for a job I'm doing, and there's a slip in my PO Box that I have a package. The mail lady comes out with at sick look on her face carrying a CRUSHED box, that's obviously been bound by the PO. She says "it says it's a laptop".

I could tell by the way the package was, that there wasn't going to be much packing material in it.

I get it home, open it, and the box (for a kiddie pool, which is fine,b ut it was MUCH larger than the Laptop) had a handful of napkins. Not paper towels ppl, napkins.. free ones from a restaurant I think. AND A DOG HAIR COVERED SHIRT as packing material. And the shirt STANK.

I honestly believe he did this because he wanted more for the laptop and didn't give a damn if/when/how it got here! ARGH.

I'm giving a neg, I don't care if I get one in return. Big whoop.

2. 1_ares_1

1_ares_1 Registered Member

Did he not already give you feedback when you paid him? He should be giving feedback on your performance as a buyer, not based upon the feedback he earns!! When a seller pays me, I leave feedback immediately. Does the laptop work? Dog hair can do alot of damage to the fan you know.

3. fairyquadmother

I haven't even turned it on yet. there's a couple of post it notes and an index card that was obviously from one of the previous owners. I don't have time to mess with it at the moment, and I have a feeling that my kid will be up my butt all night wanting me to screw around with it and I have TOO MUCH work to do!

No, he didn't give me feedback... big surprise. He probably knows he's got a nasty one coming.

4. lostmymindwith5

lostmymindwith5 Registered Member

How awful! It's rotten enough that the guy was a jerk, but that he was a jerk to your kid really bites! I know my 10 year old would be heartbroken if he spent his hard earned money on something that didn't even work when he received it many weeks later!

5. fairyquadmother

OK, he wrote me back and said:
    "the item works which means your son should have no problem using it. all
    items were described as is and it does work my packaging was safe and if
    the package was rewrapped from the post office you should talk to them .you
    will receive positive feed back unless you give me neg. feed back ive delt
    with tomany impolite rude people thats why it says all sales final no
    returns sorry and thank you"

I responded:
    "No wonder you have dealt with "rude people" on the past, as your packing
    SUCKS. I don't find a filthy shirt and a handful of NAPKINS as acceptable
    packing materials. Especially for a laptop. I'm pretty confident the Post
    office didn't do THAT. And they wrapped it to keep it from FALLING APART.
    That too, is your fault.

If the laptop doesn't work, then that too, is your fault for packing it like
    garbage.

Feedback extortion btw, is against ebay policy, so thanks for the email.

Lana"

So I guess my question is, do I give him a negative? or just let it go. Man this pisses me off. BTW, I tossed in the "feedback extortion" to bluff him. I know it's not the technical definition of feedback extortion.

This is where I think they need a mediator for situations like this.

Lana

Last edited: May 16, 2005
  6. 1_ares_1

1_ares_1 Registered Member

Lana, Do yourself a favor and send ebay a copy of each and every email the 2 of you sent to eachother. He can be booted for good and you might be refunded as well.

7. fairyquadmother

do you think they'll actually do anything about it?

To top this all off, he's from canada, so I don't think I can do anything through paypal even.

He wrote me back and said he'd refund my money AFTER I gave him a positive (I think the feedback extortion thing worked). Now he's written again and said "i didnt tell you how much shipping actually was and we did give you a deal on the shipping. it actually cost s me 30 dollars for shipping . so ship the item back we will tell the post office the damages because it is insured and then we will refund your money. you are responsible for thr shipping to here."

NMP.
    Not My Problem.

I actually agreed to give him a positive next wednesday when he gets paid, and I would do it through the paypal resolution center (so that if he didn't do anything, I'd get my $$ back). Then he comes back with the above crap.

8. Julie

Julie Registered Member

Did you pay for the auction thru PayPal? If so, you have the buyer protection on there.
    Do you still have the lovely packaging it came in? Take some pictures of it & the laptop.
    You can also file an "Item Not As Described" dispute on eBay. Here is the link:

http://feedback.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?InrCreateDispute

Make sure you copy the item # first cuz you will need it on this page. And you just follow the steps thru like on a NPB. I don't know what all the steps are on this cuz I've never had to file one (YET), but this should bring it to eBay's attention!
    As far as the feedback, it sounds like you have to ask yourself if you're willing to take a neg FB cuz he sounds like the type that would leave it if he receives it.

9. fairyquadmother

Well, paypal won't refund my money until I return it to him (with tracking) and the postage back cost more than the item itself.. more than my refund. SIGH.

yes, I told him, I'm not scared of a stupid negative. I mean, all I have to do is tell that he used a dirty shirt as packing material, and he looks the idiot. I believe thats the route I have to go.

10. Julie

Julie Registered Member

What about the "item not as described" dispute on ebay? did you find anything out there?