Are you separate from your body?

I made a thread similar to this one, but I wasn't as explicit and clear in my questions, so not everybody understood the thread as I had intended. So I am asking more clearly.

Are you separate and distinct from your physical body? Or are you wholly and only your physical body?

I would say that I am separate from my physical body. What say you?

Chaos

Epic Gamer
V.I.P.
I would say that I am both. It is my opinion that the thing we consider to be the 'me', the bit most people call the mind, is both seperate but also a part of the physical body. What I mean by this is is that the mind is contained, just as the soul is, by the physical shell of the body. But, it is only contained within that shell. My view (and I'm not necessarily saying it's right) is that the mind controls the body, while the soul animates it. Simply put, one could imagine the body like a car - the mind drives it, while the soul is the engine that makes it go. I believe this because I believe that the mind, and the soul, are not wholly intertwined with the body - I believe it possible for one or both to exist without the body, just as I believe it is possible for the body to exist (and by exist, I mean live, though perhaps not consciously) without a mind or a soul.

It may sound a little confusing, but that's just my belief. Each of the three is connected, but not bound indefinitely, so to speak.

Merc

Certified Shitlord
V.I.P.
If you're separate, then how do you control your physical body? I think the physical body is a vehicle for the soul, but that's me. So in a sense, you aren't separate until death.

If you're separate, then how do you control your physical body? I think the physical body is a vehicle for the soul, but that's me. So in a sense, you aren't separate until death.
- My understanding is that scientists have discovered that the brain sends electrical impulses through the nerves to the muscles to make them move.... but I don't think the scientists have discovered exactly what causes the impulse in the first place.

I would say that it's quite obvious that I am not my body, only contained by it. I know it's fictional, but if my body were to be switched with another completely different one of opposite gender, my friends and family would be able to recognize me by how and what I speak. Also, just the existence of questions like "who are you?" implies that the "who" is distinct from the body, since nobody would answer that question with a detailed description of their body.

As an aside question: If this is true that I am not my body, will I someday cease to exist? Why?

Tucker

Lion Rampant
My self-identity emanates, not coincidentally, from my head. My scalp is above me, my throat below. Ears are to the sides. "I" am somewhere in this skull.

Ever the dreamer, I like the construct of a spirit, a living force existing alongside yet independent of my neuronal activity. Evidence, however, is fairly lacking.

I can imagine that it would be incredible to witness a baby becoming self-aware, that is, becoming aware that he or she control's his/her body. I can imagine a baby, observing his or her hand as it moves, and then suddenly flexing the fingers and waving them back and forth excitedly, showing the discovery to parents with a smile or a laugh.

It seems that there is something that controls the body that is separate from the body, separate from the molecules. Because molecules by themselves, no matter how complicated their assembly, won't do anything.

So when the impulses from my brain end, and my heart stops beating, do I still exist?

Registered Member
I believe it possible for one or both to exist without the body, just as I believe it is possible for the body to exist (and by exist, I mean live, though perhaps not consciously) without a mind or a soul.

It may sound a little confusing, but that's just my belief. Each of the three is connected, but not bound indefinitely, so to speak.
I understand your view here but a question will come in mind when you give this view. How can you function lets say in a soul or mind without your physical body? How do you speak,hear,act? Even if your mind and soul is separate, without your physical body, you cannot have any impact on any other people. your just an abstract being now, noone can see or hear you.

A mind and soul is separate from the body when we are dead, that's the first thing that comes into mind. The body is there but your mind and soul is not bounded to it anymore. To this extent, I agree with Chaos when a body can exist without the mind or soul.

I understand your view here but a question will come in mind when you give this view. How can you function lets say in a soul or mind without your physical body? How do you speak,hear,act? Even if your mind and soul is separate, without your physical body, you cannot have any impact on any other people. your just an abstract being now, noone can see or hear you.
- That's a very interesting point. However, you can't know this for sure. Do you know why? Because you've never died. Maybe we (our souls/spirits) can communicate better than we can when we are encapsulated by our physical bodies. We don't know.

The purpose of this thread was to question our finite state. If our persons, i.e. our thinking things, are not physical, I would assume that we are eternal, or at least not finite in some sense.

This thread was also purposed to demonstrate the distinction between us and nature. Would you ever consider anything other than a human being to be a person? We are people and animals are not. Animals eat, sleep, poop and everything else they do is for survival or bodily pleasure, which means they are not able to deny their flesh, they are completely converted to their fleshly thought, and are incapable of thinking any other way. We, on the other hand, can deny our flesh... we can observe the world as if separate from our bodies and choose to satisfy our bodies or ourselves. We are people.

wooly

I am the woolrus
I don't think we can be described as 'separate' from our physical body, after all everything that we are is contained in our physical body, even the concept of our conscience or 'soul'. Our personality is often determined by experience, experiences that are held in memory cells in our brain.

I think the theory that we are wholly our physical bodies is also backed up by cases where brain damage, through accident or stroke etc, can completely change a persons personality. If our personalities and consciences were separate from our physical body, then surely they would be unaffected by damage to physical cells?

Registered Member
-

The purpose of this thread was to question our finite state. If our persons, i.e. our thinking things, are not physical, I would assume that we are eternal, or at least not finite in some sense.

This thread was also purposed to demonstrate the distinction between us and nature. Would you ever consider anything other than a human being to be a person? We are people and animals are not. Animals eat, sleep, poop and everything else they do is for survival or bodily pleasure, which means they are not able to deny their flesh, they are completely converted to their fleshly thought, and are incapable of thinking any other way. We, on the other hand, can deny our flesh... we can observe the world as if separate from our bodies and choose to satisfy our bodies or ourselves. We are people.
Hmm I see now your point here. Interesting.... I have a point here that pops into my mind when i was reading this. The subconscious mind is a state of mind when you instinctively and subconsciously react to certain things like knowing when and how to do something without even knowing why you can even do that. I think there are similarities between us and nature etc animals
where there are some things by nature we will react in the same way as animals will do. When you said that " I assume that we are eternal if our thinking is not physical" Did you imply that our physical body will age and wear out but our person ie thinking things will remain forever ( eternal ) as if it was meant only to grow and not die.