Are you good at English?

Discussion in 'School' started by dDave, Sep 29, 2008.

1. dDave

dDave Guardian of the Light V.I.P.

Are you good at English? What makes you think so?

I'm not just asking about speaking the language but everything on this list...

speaking
    correcting
    reading
    writing
    listening

I would consider myself to be at a very high level of English (especially if you consider my age) I catch errors that most other people that i know would never catch just like that. While reading stuff that other people wrote I naturally just notice a lot of errors.

Some errors that i commonly notice just while reading are things like.

Their going to the soccer game. (correction: their should be spelled They're)

Your going to go to Antarctica. (correction: your should be You're)

Then of course there are tons of typos that we each have our own that we happen upon constantly.

I would say that I'm good at english not only because I can easily correct mistakes that I find but I am also great at writing and speaking the language.

Part of my English final last year was to write a 5 page paper on whatever we wanted. This paper could be a story, report, essay, etc. and I got 100% which means that my sentence structure was flawless, and I wrote my paper thorough and to the point.

I have also been amazing at spelling, I've won several spelling bees (no matter how dumb that may sound).

I still remember in 8th grade when I got out on the word "anerythroplasia" it was crazy I only took 4th place that time around.

I have also been writing a lot throughout my entire life, I picked up writing books as a hobby in like 2nd grade and now I've stuck with it improving a lot over the years..

Honors English is an easy A for me in high school while other people are complaining that the class is way too hard.

Do you think you are good at English? If so, why?

2. Wade8813

Wade8813 Registered Member

Pretty good. Speaking often gets to me, especially in front of large groups. I start sounding like Porky Pig with brain damage :-/. But as far as everything else goes, I'm fairly good at spelling, grammar, etc. I've always had a good vocabulary, in large part due to reading too much as a kid.

BTW, for those who think you are good at English, you might check this thread out http://www.generalforum.com/fun-games/big-words-40571.html.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2008
  3. Merc

Merc Certified Shitlord V.I.P. Lifetime

Then of course there are tons of typos that we each have our own that we happen upon constantly.

Okay Mr. English Scholar, explain this sentence.

:lol:

I think I'm pretty good with mai engalamesh skillz. I've breezed through courses my whole life and I definitely qualify as a grammar Nazi (sorry). I've written plenty of stories and hope to finish a novel sometime in the next few years.

4. icegoat63

icegoat63 Son of Liberty V.I.P. Lifetime

I'm proud of my English skills. Reading and Writing, I feel are very strong suits and Speaking has always been a pleasure of mine. I'm not exactly sure how this type of thing is established but in Junior High, I was reading at a college level. And in college I'd scored high enough entry scores only to make 1 semester of English Courses necessary.

It bugs me to high hell to hear people using Double Negatives or just bad English on the street. However with the Spanglish I'm surrounded in there's not much avoiding it.

5. Tucker

Tucker Lion Rampant

I must be, since you're at such a high level of English and I still noted over twenty mistakes in your post.

Atreyu likes this.
  6. ysabel

ysabel /ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5

Haha. I noticed his mistakes too. Does that make me good?

I'm far from being an expert in English but I have observed that I'm more careful (and interested) about using it correctly than some of our native speakers here.

7. Tucker

Tucker Lion Rampant

Good? Mais non -- incroyable!

I've noticed, as have you, that many non-native speakers tend to eschew the common sloppy errors to which we lifelong Englishators often fall prey. I reason that they receive their training from more impeccable sources (formal education, well-edited books and periodicals, etc.) than those of us who are steeped in the informal, colloquial aspects of our tongue from an early age. Myself, I was fortunate, having been raised in a hog pen away from other humans and given old Time magazines as toilet paper.

8. Malificus

Malificus Likes snow

I consider myself to be proficient with English, I simply don't bother for the most part. |:>

Also, the intertubes are in my brain, corrupting my sentence structure.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2008
  9. Tucker

Tucker Lion Rampant

Post is good. Me also reserving right to talking shitty as me wants.

10. Malificus

Malificus Likes snow

mmhmm. interflexive x2