• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Are you concerned about Global Warming?

MenInTights

not a plastic bag
Well yeah, the technology is there. It just cost too much to make hydrogen from water. We could make it from fossil fuels, but then its the same ole problem. And the infrastructure is years and years away. There is another H solution, Hydrogen-On-Demand. If you invest, the company MCEL owns the patent. You put hydrocarbonate in one tank and water in the other and it creates hydrogen as you go. I've read there are 5-10 years supply of the raw materials. Still not real viable. We have more oil than Saudi, its locked up in heavy oil, coal, etc. The Green River area is loaded with the stuff. Not to mention deep water oil.

Mr_Snipes

Registered Member
I would really like to see more research in the use of bio-mass to produce ethanol. I know we have a much larger demand for fuel than Brazil but they now almost exclusively use pure ethanol fuel instead of unleaded fuel.

Phoenix

Fee-nix
I have to put my two cents worth in on this one.

Well first of all "G W" is a reality. We have screwed up this planet. If we don't act soon we won't have a place to live.

The sad thing is that noone is willing to do anything about it. And that is sad.

He have vast deserts that we can harness for solar power (not coal) we have vast plains where we can harness the wind. We have even bigger oceans that we do not use for hydro electric power.

We are a wasteful race. We use and use but do not replace or even conserve.

And yes I so my part. I have solar cells on my house, I have 2 wind gen and even a small hydro electric Paddlewheel on the creek behind me.

I don't drive unless I can help it. I bike,walk or board to get where I need to go.

But I mean to say that "G W" isn't here is to be blind. Just look at the weather. The advrage temp has gone up by 10 degrees and climbing.

If we don't do something soon our polar icecaps will be gone. They are starting to shrink even as I type this.

If we spent as much money on fixing the problem as we do on war then all would be good. Make love not WAR! Oh sorry I had a hippie moment there. :lol:

What's it gonna take to wake the public up? The Day After Tomorow? By then it will be too late..

Ok well that's my hippie tree hugging two cents. :)
Excelent. I love what you have to say here. :)

Last edited:

Phoenix

Fee-nix
I wanted to add something about the weather being cold at times when it should be hot... this is one of the consequences of Global Warming. There is sort of a yo-yo effect that can take place-extreme hot followed by extreme cold-and this can be detramental to crops and animals and...us. If you would like me to go into some of the particulars of this concept (global cooling), I can if you would like :). It is interesting how these things can work.

Nightsurfer

~Lucky 13 strikes again~
Oh yes good point! Phoenix314 (BTW Welcome)

Bring on the mini ICE AGE!!! Snow cones for everyone! :lol:

No but seriously, that is a problem too. There so many ways that we can start to fix this.

It's sad that the members of this planet who chose to go green are called tree huggers and geeks.
It just kills me to see people who will drive 1 block to the store for one or two things instead of walking, bikeing.

And they wonder why 69% of the US is fat or overweight. Put down the twinkie and walk! That 10 min it took you to walk to the store and back saves pounds of pollution from our air and saves you money.

Well someone has to stand up and do their part. It might as well be me. :D

One day there is going to be a major climate change and then and only then will things change. But how will they change ? That is the question..:confused:
Or will we do the same thing we are currently doing right now. Wich is nothing.

Ok I will get down from by box and let someone else have a go.

Phoenix

Fee-nix
Oh yes good point! Phoenix314 (BTW Welcome)

Bring on the mini ICE AGE!!! Snow cones for everyone! :lol:

No but seriously, that is a problem too. There so many ways that we can start to fix this.

It's sad that the members of this planet who chose to go green are called tree huggers and geeks.
It just kills me to see people who will drive 1 block to the store for one or two things instead of walking, bikeing.

And they wonder why 69% of the US is fat or overweight. Put down the twinkie and walk! That 10 min it took you to walk to the store and back saves pounds of pollution from our air and saves you money.

Well someone has to stand up and do their part. It might as well be me. :D

One day there is going to be a major climate change and then and only then will things change. But how will they change ? That is the question..:confused:
Or will we do the same thing we are currently doing right now. Wich is nothing.

Ok I will get down from by box and let someone else have a go.
lol...good point though...many people are very used to driving every block of their life and don't walk anywhere anymore.

RenewalVentures

Registered Member
One perplexing aspect of GW is that it is so complex a subject that many people approach the topic from a "do you believe in ..." standpoint, as if it has some kind of religious significance.

We can examine the science, and we can do our own empirical observation. The radiation in the Southern hemisphere is something that people have experienced, as are the increasingly-frequent hurricanes and tsunamis. Meanwhile, scientists seem to substantiate most of the GW concerns.

Everyday-ordinary people still have a role to play, even if the topic seems to be too large to grasp. Each of us has a stewardship role relative to natural resources, including a duty to pass to the next generation a clean environment.

Governments can do only so much, without establishing requirements that would offend most civil libertarians. It would seem, however, that as long as governments create incentives, rather than punishments, the general public should remain in favor of initiatives that are designed to reverse the current GW trend.

wascally

I wanted to add something about the weather being cold at times when it should be hot... this is one of the consequences of Global Warming. There is sort of a yo-yo effect that can take place-extreme hot followed by extreme cold-and this can be detramental to crops and animals and...us. If you would like me to go into some of the particulars of this concept (global cooling), I can if you would like :). It is interesting how these things can work.
I would :). A question i have regarding this sub subject is this: Given that we don't truly know how an ice age effects the planet (temporary heat waves, temporary cold spots, etc) How can we judge that the crazy weather of the last 30 years is a result of bad changes and not part of the whole weather machine itself? Even though the crazy weather may be longer than the last 30yrs, i just wanted to use that sample instead of the last 100 or 200.

Phoenix

Fee-nix
I would :). A question i have regarding this sub subject is this: Given that we don't truly know how an ice age effects the planet (temporary heat waves, temporary cold spots, etc) How can we judge that the crazy weather of the last 30 years is a result of bad changes and not part of the whole weather machine itself? Even though the crazy weather may be longer than the last 30yrs, i just wanted to use that sample instead of the last 100 or 200.
this is a legitamate argument. there is a cycle to the weather-a natural cycle of warming and cooling as far as scientists can see. there is a cycle of warm to hot weather and cooler periods, sometimes containig ice ages.
we seem to be going through a warmer period of time. however, the extra carbon dioxide and other greenhouse gasses that are being deposited into the atmosphere is causing temperatures to increase further, causing higher temperatures.
on the subject of global cooling, it can be caused when there is fresh water deposited into the ocean from melting ice. this extra fresh water does many things, one of which is alter the balence of the oceanic tidal system. the tides circulate water so that there is a balence of water temperature. when the tides are inturrupted by excessive fresh water, and the balence is thrown off, the circulation of water is thrown off, and global temperatures can be altered, possibly causing global cooling.
i hope this helped. if you have any further questions, i would be happy to try to answer them if i can :).

Last edited:

Nightsurfer

~Lucky 13 strikes again~
Hi all.

I just saw a show called the MINI Ice age on TLC. They stated that a global mini Ice age would have major implications such as.
Crops will die off, then game and other wild life too, and then us. And with the food gone and with no way to replace it. We are gone too. (unless you want to Donner Party it) Donner party of five your table is ready.
The sun would be blocked out by clouds and that would be that. Noone knows how Mini Ice Ages happen but they do and it will happen again.

But a mini Ice Age is the least of our worries. If things keep going the way they are, can you say water world!? It's more of a reality than you think.

The polar ice caps are melting at an alarming rate. If we don't do something soon we won't have a place to live.

How long can you tread water? Ha :lol: ha :lol: ha :lol: ha :lol: ha

Last edited: