• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Are you concerned about Global Warming?

Mirage

Secret Agent
Staff member
V.I.P.
What do you guys think about Global Warming?

Personally all of the reasons for Global Warming make sense to me. Whether or not it is actually happening at this point is another story. I think there is a definite reason for concern, but, I also don't think the threat is as imminent as Al Gore is making it sound.

I am all for alternate fuel sources though and I am looking forward to seeing what they might be. I think most of the world is looking forward to keeping the planet alive as long as possible.

Mr_Snipes

Registered Member
I think the possibility of global warming could be a reality. But I don't think it is as bad as people claim it is. I think that even if global warming is a reality, that the earth will compensate for it to bring things back into balance.

I am also all for alternative fuel sources as well.

Doc

Trust me, I'm The Doctor.
V.I.P.
Same as Snipes, I feel that it's a definite possibility but there is probably another explanation.

Also, we need alternative fuels. Something high energy and high availability.

FourBear

I think it's kind of scary that I remember learning about global warming back when I was in elementary school, in 1990. At least an inkling of this threat has been around for awhile.

Mirage

Secret Agent
Staff member
V.I.P.
There are already certain parts of the world where the ozon layer is ruined such as above some parts of Australia. You'll burn quick on the beach there.

luvcamerasnic

Not worried about it. This has been one of the coldest springs on record around here. I know that I should be worried, but I'm not.

Nightsurfer

~Lucky 13 strikes again~
I have to put my two cents worth in on this one.

Well first of all "G W" is a reality. We have screwed up this planet. If we don't act soon we won't have a place to live.

The sad thing is that noone is willing to do anything about it. And that is sad.

He have vast deserts that we can harness for solar power (not coal) we have vast plains where we can harness the wind. We have even bigger oceans that we do not use for hydro electric power.

We are a wasteful race. We use and use but do not replace or even conserve.

And yes I so my part. I have solar cells on my house, I have 2 wind gen and even a small hydro electric Paddlewheel on the creek behind me.

I don't drive unless I can help it. I bike,walk or board to get where I need to go.

But I mean to say that "G W" isn't here is to be blind. Just look at the weather. The advrage temp has gone up by 10 degrees and climbing.

If we don't do something soon our polar icecaps will be gone. They are starting to shrink even as I type this.

If we spent as much money on fixing the problem as we do on war then all would be good. Make love not WAR! Oh sorry I had a hippie moment there. :lol:

What's it gonna take to wake the public up? The Day After Tomorow? By then it will be too late..

Ok well that's my hippie tree hugging two cents. :)

Mirage

Secret Agent
Staff member
V.I.P.
Well I was just thinking recently about how high the gas prices will be going soon (and already in some cases) and while it seems like it's going to be no fun it could be a blessing in disguise.

Think about it. If gas goes up to $4 and $5 a gallon then we will have to seriously start thinking about fuel efficiency and conservation.

One thing that makes me mad is people who are filthy rich and have a "not my problem" mentality. They drive their Hummers to the store and leave them running while they run in to buy something. I'm not mad at rich people in general, just the ones who don't care about the environment because they can afford gas no matter how expensive it gets.

The reality is that too many people don't want to think about it right now.

The scary thing is that oil is used for much more than just fuel. As far as I know every form of plastic is made using oil products. If we had no plastic just think of how big of a difference that alone would make in our everyday lives?

MenInTights

not a plastic bag
I would like to see a a Presidential candidate or anyone in power for that matter talk about real solutions to the energy crisis. Specifically nuclear power, expanded oil drilling, tidal power, drilling in Iraq maybe, etc. I just wanta throw a shoe at the TV when someone talks about turning corn into fuel or hydrogen power. Those things are a joke.

Well, I didn't really answer the question. lol. Yeah, I'm worried about it to a certain extent. The jury is still out as far how big is this concern. In the late 70's there was a big fear of global cooling. i think the actual temperature rise has been less than 1d F in 100 years. There's always something to be afraid of. The problems almost always work themselves out.

Last edited:

Doc

Trust me, I'm The Doctor.
V.I.P.
Actually, Chevrolet finally has a car that runs on nothing buy hydrogen and they're working on a plan to get it on the road. We actually have hydrogen cars, we just don't have any "hydrogen stations" yet.