• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Are you an Audiophile?

dDave

V.I.P.
An audiophile is somebody who wants to listen to music at the absolute best possible quality to put it shortly.

Audiophile - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I think I'm slowly turning into one.

I just recently finished uploading all my music in lossless format which takes the exact file off of the CD and does not compress it at all, in turn this provides much deeper and clear bass as well as all of the other sounds being perfectly synced to each other. I can turn it way loud now without any distortion of any kind. Drums also sound significantly better on this system.

The downside is that it takes up so much space on my hard drive. I have 6.6 days at 40 GB of hard drive space just for strictly my music library. It doesn't even begin to fit on my ipod so I have to convert the songs back down but with my 5.1 speaker system on my desktop I can enjoy extremely high quality music. I think it makes a huge difference but I do have really sensitive hearing.

I would like to eventually get a Yamaha or Bose 5.1 system.

Rather than my music uploading at a standard 128, 192, 256, 0r 320 kbps it's uploading at random numbers usually up in the 900 and 1000 range, this pretty much triples the file size.

What are your thoughts on this?

Are you an audiophile?

Last edited:

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
I like everything to sound as perfect as possible, but not enough to put the time or money into it. It's not one of my top priorities.

fractal

Eye see what you did ther
I'm not an audiophile, but I don't understand how you converted a lower bit rate file into a higher bit rate file. Also, what specification should I look for on a speaker/headphone to make sure that there's a difference in its reproduction of high quality music and low quality music?

dDave

V.I.P.
I'm not an audiophile, but I don't understand how you converted a lower bit rate file into a higher bit rate file. Also, what specification should I look for on a speaker/headphone to make sure that there's a difference in its reproduction of high quality music and low quality music?
Well I still had all of the CDs, those that I didn't have the CD or bought the song off of itunes they are still at a lower bit rate.

I don't agree with this completely but the general point they make is very good. How to Choose Headphones - wikiHow

You want my recommendation? Go with a brand that has a reputation like Bose, Yamaha, or Sony (what I have), I got some Sony Studio headphones and let me tell you they are awesome, way better than I thought they would be. I hear that Sennheiser is really good too.
------
I like everything to sound as perfect as possible, but not enough to put the time or money into it. It's not one of my top priorities.
Well I haven't really put any money into it yet. I was due for a new set of desktop speakers since my old pair was 10 years old and they were slowly dying.

I already owned all of the music that I reuploaded so that didn't really cost me either. It's really easy to tell the difference between a 1000 kbps file and a 128 kbps file just by listening, but between 320kbps and 1000kbps there isn't a huge difference but it's enough that I can hear it.

I figured that if I can get higher quality music I might as well.

Last edited:

fractal

It's really easy to tell the difference between a 1000 kbps file and a 128 kbps file just by listening, but between 320kbps and 1000kbps there isn't a huge difference but it's enough that I can hear it.
Thanks for your advice.

Do you know any place where I can get the same audio clip but for the different qualities? I'd like to listen and see how much of a difference it makes on my cheap earphones and other people's expensive earphones. I'm not sure what to search the web for.

Can't tell the difference between these two on my earphones: http://www.noiseaddicts.com/2009/03/mp3-sound-quality-test-128-320/

Last edited:

dDave

V.I.P.
Thanks for your advice.

Do you know any place where I can get the same audio clip but for the different qualities? I'd like to listen and see how much of a difference it makes on my cheap earphones and other people's expensive earphones. I'm not sure what to search the web for.

Can't tell the difference between these two on my earphones: Do 320kbps mp3 files really sound better? Take the test! | NoiseAddicts music and audio
You probably don't have super high quality headphones. You definitely won't be able to tell the difference on anything really cheap

Typically earbuds are lower quality but you can definitely get them with really good sound quality.

Even with my system I'm sure that I'm not getting the full sounds of my music as it is likely incapable of generating every last little sound. However I am set now for when I get a really nice system (sometime in the next few years I'm thinking) since my music is already at the highest possible quality I will be able to get a very nice sound out of that system.

On that particular audio recording there is definitely a difference in the quality of the drums, see if you can hear the difference now.

fractal

Yeah, i can hear the difference in the drums, but it's subtle to me. It's not surprising that there are more votes for the wrong answer, than the right one. The difference is clear on my iPod earphones. It's not clear on my Panasonic ones. I found these links with different audio frequencies. My speakers are not good beyond 18khz, but my iPod earphones play better than these Panasonic earphones.

Hearing Loss Test - Can you hear this? | NoiseAddicts music and audio
Can you hear THIS? Musicians high frequency hearing test | NoiseAddicts music and audio

EDIT: If you have some spare time, could you upload small samples of different bitrates? I don't want to buy low quality speakers or earphones next time. Since you said that the difference is quite clear, it's clear that my output is quite cheap.

Last edited:

Smelnick

Creeping On You
V.I.P.
I'm not an audiophile in the least. I do notice the difference between different qualities of sound. However, I listen to music at work, and really, difference between one quality and the next is negligible in my opinion. Obviously at a higher quality, you can hear more of the small nuances, but at a smaller quality, you still get to hear the song. I just download music and throw in on my pod. That in itself takes long enough. I'm not gonna spend hours trying to find the best. Also, I have limited harddrive space, so that's another factor.

Tucker

Lion Rampant
No, I guess I'm not one. I had thought that 'audiophile' was a cool word describing music freaks and I was going to say yes. I do appreciate a faithful reproduction as much as the next freak, but there's a point short of believing that I'm sitting in the studio (in reality, listening to music being produced a bit at a time for consumer playback in the first place) where I can say, "Yeah, that's good enough." And if I want to feel the experience of being at an epic concert, I don't have spend four or five thousand dollars on state of the art audio equipment; I can just go to an epic concert - no?