• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Are you afraid? (terroist attacks)

thealigator

Registered Member
I believe that this has been discussed before and if it has I apologise but given the actions that took place recently I do think it is relevant to discuss it again.

When the attacks took place on September the 11th America, much of mainland Europe and the UK went into a stage of panic. They had every reason to. The attacks that took place on that day were unprecedented, unexpected and the first of their kind at least in my memory. I had never really seen anything like this and I think there was an element of "this cannot be happening, can it?" and very much a feeling of the unknown.

This happened again some time later in the UK after the July 7th bombings in London, the IRA had preformed terrorist attacks but none that had such a large impact, it was almost like we knew who the IRA were and so we were less afraid. I have never felt threatened. Call me delusional, tell me I am living with my head in the sand but I do not feel that worried, mainly because I try not to let the propaganda of certain media outlets convince me I should be. I am more worried about the amount of Racist and Hate groups that have visited my city in the last two years. I am more afraid of people of the same race and colour as me who go around causing random acts of violence and killings for no real reason and yet these things rarely seem to make it into the news.

I would hate to think of myself as seeing someone in a hijab, a veil or a full face covering head dress (and I do see them) and automatically becoming fearful of my life. That is not to suggest that someone who does is racist, prejudice or any other term, fear is not something I feel is always prejudice, it is a gut instinct. As I say I feel far more fearful if I am walking along the street and see a group of 15 year olds because in my experience and what I have seen these sometimes are the people that cause problems.

But are you afraid? Are you fearful? How safe do you feel?

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
The best thing the public can do to stop the attacks is act like the attacks do not have the desired effect.

I think about it sometimes, but I try not to. No, I’m not afraid of terrorist attacks.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.

ZZ430

Registered Member
I'm not afraid for my family or home at all. Down here In Texas we are heavily armed.

I will not hesitate to use what ever amount of force that is needed. I will not live in fear of these animals.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
Fearful for my own personal safety? No, not at all. The chances of being the victim of a terrorist attack are minuscule, even when visiting what are considered to be high-risk targets like airports, sporting events, large cities, etc. The thought just never even crosses my mind.

That's not to say that I'm ignorant to the inevitability of future terrorist attacks. I'm aware of the threat posed to society by terrorists and extremist groups, but to live in fear over it would be irrational.

CaptainObvious

Embrace the Suck
V.I.P.
Living in fear would not be the logical thing to do. Bad things CAN happen, but what help does living in fear do? Concerned is the more appropriate response. One should always be aware of your surroundings, one should always be prepared for something really bad happening. In the end though, all that does is increase your chances of surviving an attack or an active shooter. The attack in Brussells were bombs going off, not much you can do when/if that happens.

Konshentz

Konshentz
Nope, no fear at all. I live in East Bumfuck, so mass shootings or terrorist attacks are highly unlikely. I also don't travel a lot. I agree, living in fear is a big waste of time.

Unity

Living in Ikoria
Staff member
I'm not afraid personally, but I worry for my family and my little nieces in particular. As Cap said, however, you have to be vigilant. You can't put your head in the sand with this stuff - the world has changed.

I was watching the news tonight and really admired the people in Brussels that were interviewed. They were going about their daily lives and people of all types said that doing anything else would be letting terror infect us. I hope that I'd be the same if something happened in my city.

EdgeHead

Registered Member
Personally, I don't think my area will ever be the site of a terrorist attack (if it is, they're completely wasting their time) so while it's scary to see this on the news, I'm not thinking about it. The most important thing is not to fall in the terrorists' trap. What they want is basically for us to give them a reason to continue what they're doing and that would be to put all Muslims in the same category and eventually making them feel all ostracized, thus allowing Islamists to carry on with their evil agenda. So, we have to be careful but pretty much also try to outsmart them as well on that level, even if it gets increasingly harder every time they pull off something like Paris & Brussels more often.

NewGamePlus

Registered Member
Not afraid. Pissed off. Pissed off that I can't simply put my name on some hypothetical "signup sheet" for "Who Wants to Be On the Front Lines to Fight the Shit Whenever the Next Attack Goes Down?". As in... if you could go back to 9-11 and be anywhere you could be, where would you be? For me, it's the closest to the most uncommitted terrorist next to the most influential control panels on one of those planes. That would be the ideal spot for me. So I have a free license to do what I can to stop it and not worry about getting killed in the process because it's a righteous death (not suicide) if I do. I want out. God knows it. I know it. But he's never letting me the privilege of being in a spot like that. Damned fucker (joking).