Are you a slave to fashion?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Dali, Jan 27, 2010.

1. Dali

Dali Registered Member

What do you think of fashion trends, do you follow them, what has been your favorite trend and what do you think of people who will rush out and buy the latest accessory every time Victoria Beckham or Paris Hilton take their knickers off? Also how much would you be willing to pay to stay on top of trend, are there certain trends even if you are a slavery to it would you most certainly not buy into?

Personally for myself I do follow fashion but I am not a slave to it and I pick and choose what I would like to wear and not just wear whatever is in trend at the time according to Vogue or Madonna's latest Knee warmers and leotards. Recently I really liked the Denim trend combining jeans and the jacket, I actually wore it very well and I added my own twist to it, it looked very good, the mags were full of celebs doing the same then a short few weeks later we were told that it pretty much look retarded and it was one of the biggest fashion mistakes of 2009. I would like to say to that, your wrong, do it well, do it right and you can pull it off perfectly!

I do a bit of both regarding fashion, I follow trends if I like them but I am not full on and I also have my own unique style and I am very good at creating outfits, also bare in mind that I never buy clothes brand new, mostly Thrift towns are my territory, if I have some money I head to Ross. I am always complimented on my style.

So what do you think looks good, what do you like best, how do you view people regarding style, do you think that the outside reflects the inside of a person, also what is your biggest fashion mistake, what fashion piece would you never give up, and what is the biggest amount of money you have ever spent on fashion and why did you spend that much in the first place? Oh and boys I want your input too! :)

Let's post pictures of Good and Bad fashion, it will be interesting to see what we feel about certain fashion trends, it's fantastic to be individual but we don't always like the same thing. :)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Rebeccaaa

Rebeccaaa yellow 4!

I don't follow fashion trends but I don't really have my own style either. If I need new clothes I'll go shopping and buy stuff I like, simple as that. I couldn't care less what celebrities are wearing, but that doesn't mean I go out of my way to avoid wearing clothes that are in fashion just to make a statement.

do you think that the outside reflects the inside of a person?
    To more of an extent that some people think, I suppose. What you wear says something about you, whether you like it or not. It's wrong to judge people by what they are wearing, but it does make it easier to assume about a character. Of course, the assumptions won't always be correct.

what fashion piece would you never give up?
    I love leggings. I'm glad they came back in fashion because it makes it much easier to find and buy. :lol:

Most of the people in those pictures look stupid to me. Catwalk clothes usually do, they aren't practical at all. And I never liked denim on denim but if you can pull it off then good for you!

3. EllyDicious

EllyDicious made of AMBIGUITY V.I.P. Lifetime

i follow fashion up to the point where i know something looks good on me.
    no matter if it's the latest fashion, if i don't like it and if it doesn't suit me, i won't wear it.
    i do believe the way you dress yourself reflects something about your personality [though not always, but often].

i don't like extravagant clothes, trendy up to an extent.

i'm between classy and sport. [it depends on my mood/where i go].

this is me:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. Jeanie

Jeanie still nobody's bitch V.I.P. Lifetime

To the extent that I won't wear something that's ridiculously out of style, yes I keep up with trends. However "fashion" does nothing for me and I just don't get it. I think that most trends we see coming out of Hollywood (and London and wherever else the beautiful people whom we emulate come from) are a joke, seriously. It's like the clothing version of L. Ron Hubbard and the founding of Scientology - fashion designers are coming up with increasingly ridiculous trends just to see if people will follow them. Purses today are just about the ugliest things I've seen, yet women pay hundreds or even thousands of dollars to carry an abomination on their shoulders. I don't get it.

5. AeonFlux

AeonFlux I am the edge!

I really don't pay attention to fashion trends. I just wear what I feel good in and look good in. Therefore, I don't really know how I'd describe my style...it's just me. I do feel that the clothing a person wears reflects who they are on the inside to some extent, even if all it says is, "I don't follow fashion trends." The only times I've ever spent more than $100 on a single article of clothing were when buying special occasion dresses.

6. Chaos

Chaos Epic Gamer V.I.P. Lifetime

Not really, no. I've never really been all that fussed about fashion, what's "in" or "out", etc. I just wear what I think looks good for me. I don't really care about brand names, and to be honest, I may even avoid some because of their expense.

7. Scissorhands

Scissorhands Registered Member

I'm a guy but I love to look good. So in a way yes, because I am -constantly looking for some fashionable clothes. On the flipside; there isn't shit for men's fashion out there! You search men's fashion and you get khaki pants and fuckin' tee shirts with a button or two. It's bull shit. =(

I really want a more modern/mature look than I have now but the only place I can find things that I think would look good on me (or good at all) is eBay.

8. Dali

Dali Registered Member

I LOVE you style Eli and I am similar to you in what I wear. I can't bring myself to buy anything that is expensive anymore, I walk in a store and see a tee shirt that is 30 bucks and I just laugh. I am so used to just going and buying things second hand from charity shops, no one knows that what I wear only cost me a few bucks and most of my closet is full of designer labels people will look at me and think I spend allot of money but in reality the Miss Sixty jeans or the MNG jacket I am wearing cost be less than 10 bucks and they are standing next to me wearing jeans that cost $100 and mine actually look better lol!

People like to mock and laugh about going to Thrift stores and some think I am dirty (if they know) but I laugh because I am all the more richer buying my designer top for $2, I have known people that avoid charity shops like the plague but they are missing out!

Who shops at Charity stores and what is the best bargain you have ever found?

9. Scissorhands

Scissorhands Registered Member

Saver City Thrift Store.

Seven For All Mankind Low Rise Boot Cut Jeans, 7$.

10. Major

Major 4 legs good 2 legs bad V.I.P.

I agree with Jeanie's post. I think fashion trends are stupid. Like the humongous sunglasses that people wear. I don't follow trends. I get whatever I think looks ok on me.