• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Are we short-selling the status of the IC/US titles in the WWE?

Unity

Living in Ikoria
Staff member
Simple discussion concept, really. We're all concerned about the Intercontinental and U.S. titles getting prominence in the WWE, and it's something we all want to see from what I understand.

It's true that they're not given as prominent of feuds/storylines as they did during the Attitude Era. It's also true, however, that the Attitude Era gave the belts to a LOT of under-qualified guys.

When I think of these titles today, I see them on up and comers like Wade Barrett, Drew McIntyre, Kofi Kingston, Dolph Ziggler and Daniel Bryan and I'm pretty happy with the caliber of talent involved. There have also been established stars holding the belts in recent years, such as Rey Mysterio and Chris Jericho. Plus, look at how it perfectly guided The Miz from the mid card into prominence,the main event, and the WWE Championship.

Do you think that in pining over how we wish the titles would be treated, we aren't seeing the positives in the WWE's use of them? Or is the lack of emphasis on quality, long-term feuds and storylines too much of a detriment? Discuss. :)

sunrise

aka ginger warlock
V.I.P.
Good question, it does bring up the opinion of "things were better in my day". I started watching Wrestling as many of you know in 2000 when the attitude era was in full flow. Obviosly at that time the US title and Heavyweight Title were not around but instead had the WWE Title, IC Title, EC Title.

WWE seems to be under the impression that WWE fans have short term memories and if they bring in enough stories and enough newer stars we will all forget, the problem is that I think a lot of us see the WWE today and it simply wasn't as good as it was, it might never be. I don't really know how this can be fixed or if it even needs to be but I don't really have an answer.

Unity

Living in Ikoria
Staff member
Good question, it does bring up the opinion of "things were better in my day". I started watching Wrestling as many of you know in 2000 when the attitude era was in full flow. Obviosly at that time the US title and Heavyweight Title were not around but instead had the WWE Title, IC Title, EC Title.

WWE seems to be under the impression that WWE fans have short term memories and if they bring in enough stories and enough newer stars we will all forget, the problem is that I think a lot of us see the WWE today and it simply wasn't as good as it was, it might never be. I don't really know how this can be fixed or if it even needs to be but I don't really have an answer.
I'd count the US title in this measurement because it was brought into the WWE during the later times of the attitude era.

In your second paragraph there, are you speaking in general or in the context of the IC/US titles?

KSpiceFantastic

Haters gonna hate.
I see that we are doing the opposite. I believe that the IWC is going over and above to say "bring back the IC and US Championship prestige!" but the WWE isn't, plain and simple. They may be using it as a stepping stone to greater things in the future, but how long can you stay on that stone?

Unity

Living in Ikoria
Staff member
Yeah, WM changed my thoughts that maybe the WWE is treating the US/IC titles with more prominence than we sometime think.

The positive of having quality champions doesn't outweigh the negative of potentially great PPV matches being treated as "optional."

Think of the great stand-out performances that we've seen over the years for these prestigious (in my mind) titles...Steamboat vs. Macho Man comes to mind. Are we going to continue to be robbed of this possibility by the WWE for the years to come?

KSpiceFantastic

Haters gonna hate.
Think of the great stand-out performances that we've seen over the years for these prestigious (in my mind) titles...Steamboat vs. Macho Man comes to mind. Are we going to continue to be robbed of this possibility by the WWE for the years to come?
I think so. WWE has been dwindling in interest in both titles, and I think the only way to bring back the prestige would be to unify them into either just the IC title or another title altogether. Hard to tell at this point.

Merc

Problematic Shitlord
V.I.P.
The US title was dark matched last night during one of the worst Wrestlemanias ever produced. I think it's safe to say it's quite trivialized. I think they need more emphasis on the "Intercontinental" part of that belt to be honest.

KSpiceFantastic

Haters gonna hate.
The US title was dark matched last night during one of the worst Wrestlemanias ever produced. I think it's safe to say it's quite trivialized. I think they need more emphasis on the "Intercontinental" part of that belt to be honest.
I honestly think that they have had that emphasis recently on the IC. Barrett is from England, Kofi from Ghana, West Africa (actually Jamaica), Drew from Scotland... the only blip on that radar is Ziggler.

Unity

Living in Ikoria
Staff member
I honestly think that they have had that emphasis recently on the IC. Barrett is from England, Kofi from Ghana, West Africa (actually Jamaica), Drew from Scotland... the only blip on that radar is Ziggler.
FYI, Kofi is actually American but was born in Ghana...so being billed from Ghana is more accurate than Jamaica, which was originally used for him solely as a gimmick.

What's interesting in considering the "Intercontinental Status" of the IC belt is thinking of the "American Status" of the US Title. They've currently got Sheamus (from Ireland) dressing in U.S. colored/themed ring attire; it's an interesting angle that's been done in varying degrees over the years; a good way for an outside of the U.S. heel to get heat is to say that he's the champion of the United States, haha.

KSpiceFantastic

Haters gonna hate.
What's interesting in considering the "Intercontinental Status" of the IC belt is thinking of the "American Status" of the US Title. They've currently got Sheamus (from Ireland) dressing in U.S. colored/themed ring attire; it's an interesting angle that's been done in varying degrees over the years; a good way for an outside of the U.S. heel to get heat is to say that he's the champion of the United States, haha.
I think that having Sheamus as US Champ was a genius idea! I dig the new attire, too. Cheap heat is better than no heat.