• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Are we here to conquer the world?

Nosferatu_Alucard

Undead Intellectual
Is it the right of humanity to rule the Earth? Is it our place? Were we put here for a reason, to quell chaos before our time? Why do we think we are so special?

Assuming any of this is true, does it mean we are the pinnacle of evolution? We say we are superior. Is this forever? Will we ever be surpassed, our place taken? Can we deal with that? Can we deal with the idea that we might not be so special, we are not the apex of evolution, and there will be something better than us?

Nibbles

meep
If we do reach the acme of evolution by understanding the nuances life we will achieve singularity and cease to exist since there is no reason to live, in theory. It seems rather pointless to conquer then.

ExpectantlyIronic

e̳̳̺͕ͬ̓̑̂ͮͦͣ͒͒h̙ͦ̔͂?̅̂ ̾͗̑
I think we think we are so special because we are the ones making that determination. Evolution favors the weak and strong alike; the dumb and the smart, the individualistic and the cooperative. That's because there are many available niches in which things can reproduce and thrive, and environmental circumstances are what determines the evolutionary viability of a species, just as much as does its precise genetic makeup. Phenotype--which isn't wholly determined by genotype--is what determines if something reproduces, as well as the exact circumstances the plant or animal in question finds itself in.

I don't think it makes sense to talk of one thing being better than something else, or else things having a purpose, if we discount our subjective biases: things have value or purpose to us, and not to nature. I don't think there is any intelligence, emotion, or desire behind the universe (save for what exists in whatever lifeforms emerge).

Honato

Registered Member
We have not conquered the earth as we live off of the earth so it has conquered as we rely upon the earth, take away the earth the human race is gone, take away the human race from the earth and the earth will be no different if not better, so no we are not here to conquer the earth nor have we conquered it

Mirage

Secret Agent
Staff member
V.I.P.
I would say we already have conquered the world. I mean look around. You don't see lions and tigers or dinosaurs ruling anymore. Even in the case of those, from what we understand about the earth, it seems clear that we are the smartest and most capable species by a long shot when it comes to ruling everything.

MenInTights

not a plastic bag
Is it the right of humanity to rule the Earth? Is it our place? Were we put here for a reason, to quell chaos before our time? Why do we think we are so special?

Assuming any of this is true, does it mean we are the pinnacle of evolution? We say we are superior. Is this forever? Will we ever be surpassed, our place taken? Can we deal with that? Can we deal with the idea that we might not be so special, we are not the apex of evolution, and there will be something better than us?

Well, if you have a Christian world view, the questions are easy. In fact they are found on page one of the Bible.

Is it the right of humanity to rule the Earth? Is it our place? Were we put here for a reason, to quell chaos before our time?
Genesis 1:28 God blessed them and said to them, "Be fruitful and increase in number; fill the earth and subdue it. Rule over the fish of the sea and the birds of the air and over every living creature that moves on the ground."

Why do we think we are so special?
Genesis 1:27 So God created man in his own image, in the image of God he created him; male and female he created them.

If you're a Darwinist, I don't think the questions will ever be answered.

Funny how that works.

ExpectantlyIronic

e̳̳̺͕ͬ̓̑̂ͮͦͣ͒͒h̙ͦ̔͂?̅̂ ̾͗̑
MenInTights said:

Funny how that works.
If you're a Christian, I don't think you'll ever know the final number in the decimal expansion of pi. In the religion I just made up it's 3.

Funny how that works.

Bananas

Endangered Species
Nosferatu_Alucard said:

From my understanding you answer the first paragraph in your second one.

Humans are no more special than any other creature, the big difference between us and all other life forms is our ability and belief in progresion. At somepoint in our past our ability to change the world around us, gave us a perpetuating scientific knowledge to free ourselves from natures restraints. Was this ability chance or inginuity? this determines really how special we are.

I would guess there have been billions of life forms on this planet, sooner or later one of those would progress.

MenInTights said:
Problem with Darwinism; it is a 200 year old teaching, our scientific knowledge has come along way since then, we can understand things better now and we will understand things better tomorrow.

Darwin said "humans are just like other animals", as I sit here typing into this highly sophisticated machine and communicate with you from 8000 miles away it is clear we are not just like other animals, we have not just evolved into something more intelligent we haveand will scientifically model our own evolution. It is not upto a God, or Mother Nature but largely left to humankind.

Unity

Living in Ikoria
Staff member
This has turned into an evolutionary argument, it would seem. I just want to put in my basic two cents about the thread question.

I don't think that anyone owns the Earth, aside from maybe God.

This is going off of the fact that I do think Evolution is damn close to correct and I do think that God set it in motion...so I don't think the Earth is a few thousand years old, I do think dinosaurs were here millions of years ago, etc.

I think that the line of thinking that we "own" the earth because we're the most sophisticated species present is a very dangerous one. We don't have any more right to the planet than a wolf or a hawk.