• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Are we all worshipping the same Being?

Unity

Living in Ikoria
Staff member
I often have the thought that religious interpretation is more of a human process, and that at the end of the day all faiths/spiritualities that pray to a Higher Power may be praying to the same Being. I'm discounting the fact that It's assumed that Islam/Judaism/Christianity all come from worship of the same God.

Thoughts? Is it possible that my worship of God & Jesus is the same as the Hindu worship of God in everyone/everything? Are we all more spiritually united than most would think?

Wade8813

Registered Member
I have trouble figuring out how a polytheistic religion like Hinduism could be the same as a monotheistic one like Christianity.

Unity

Living in Ikoria
Staff member
I have trouble figuring out how a polytheistic religion like Hinduism could be the same as a monotheistic one like Christianity.
I took a tour and participated in a service at a Hindu Temple (had to find a faith outside of my own for a course on Diversity that I took), and luckily received the tour from a man and his son that were regular members of the Temple. From what I understood, they believe that God is in all things, and that their pantheon of deities is God taking different forms.

Is Hinduism Polytheistic? - ReligionFacts

This page quotes that
"Taking all of the above into consideration, our Fast Facts on Hinduism page classifies Hinduism as "pantheism with polytheistic elements." Why not monotheism? Although "monotheism" literally means belief in the existence of one God, the term has come to denote belief in a God who created and is distinct from the universe. Pantheism is the view that God is essentially identical with the universe and totally immanent in the world: God is the universe and the universe is God. Thus pantheism seems to be the most accurate label for Hinduism. The "with polytheistic elements" qualifier is added because the Supreme Being of Hinduism is most often worshipped in the form of multiple deities."

Still, so that this doesn't become a Hinduism thread alone, what about a possible polythesitic faith? Let's say Greek Mythology ended up still being a faith and not known as a myth. Let's say that people treated it the same way that people treat The "big three" in terms of devotion, witnessing of miracles, ceremony, prayer, etc.

Would it still be possible that our prayers are being answered from the same Higher Power?

Boredie

In need of Entertainment
From what I understood, they believe that God is in all things, and that their pantheon of deities is God taking different forms.
Judaism believes that as well. Only there is no need to have other [sub-]deities, since it is the one and the same God.

I see no reason why it cannot be the same in both religions.

gnostica

Registered Member
I believe that all the Gods are the exact same Gods, and that all paths are valid.

My pastor (a very liberal Christian) once told me that he viewed God as an island, and we are all in our little boats trying to get to Him. When we land on the island, we think we've found the "one true path" to God and we rejoice -- however, in reality, each boat will eventually find its way there, and each route or path that each boat traveled was, in the end, equally valid.

It is human nature, however, to lay "claim" to just about everything we touch *eyeroll*

Unity

Living in Ikoria
Staff member
Judaism believes that as well. Only there is no need to have other [sub-]deities, since it is the one and the same God.

I see no reason why it cannot be the same in both religions.
Agreed.

I just wish people of all faiths would occasionally step back from trying to prove that they're right to realize that we may all be doing the right thing (regarding worship and action) in our own ways.

Wade8813

Registered Member
Would it still be possible that our prayers are being answered from the same Higher Power?
Theoretically, yes, but said higher power wouldn't be one believed in by many of the religions.

I believe that all the Gods are the exact same Gods, and that all paths are valid.

My pastor (a very liberal Christian) once told me that he viewed God as an island, and we are all in our little boats trying to get to Him. When we land on the island, we think we've found the "one true path" to God and we rejoice -- however, in reality, each boat will eventually find its way there, and each route or path that each boat traveled was, in the end, equally valid.

It is human nature, however, to lay "claim" to just about everything we touch *eyeroll*
I'm sorry, but that makes absolutely ZERO sense to me.

Numerous gods required human sacrifice. The Christian God specifically forbids it. How could they be the same being?

Again - what about polytheism? Using your island analogy, how is it that someone arriving at ONE island comes up with the idea that they're at a dozen islands?

It's impossible for there to be only one God, and for there to simultaneously be multiple gods.

Agreed.

I just wish people of all faiths would occasionally step back from trying to prove that they're right to realize that we may all be doing the right thing (regarding worship and action) in our own ways.
It's not possible. The God of the Bible specifically prohibits some actions required by other faiths. They can't both be right.

Nevyrmoore

AKA Ass-Bandit
Numerous gods required human sacrifice. The Christian God specifically forbids it. How could they be the same being?

Again - what about polytheism? Using your island analogy, how is it that someone arriving at ONE island comes up with the idea that they're at a dozen islands?

It's impossible for there to be only one God, and for there to simultaneously be multiple gods.
You seem to be forgetting one thing; higher deities are something we cannot actually fathom. It's like a protagonist in a Lovecraft story, they see something that, by our understanding of the world and science, should not exist, and their mind snaps.

We can only theorise about a (or many) supreme being(s), and of course, human imagination and understanding being what it is, it's entirely possible for one set of people coming to a different conclusion about god/s than another set. Also, as we only have historical books to tell us "this is what our god has said", it's possible that there is very little a (set of) supreme being(s) said other than "Hey there, how about sending some worship this way?"
------
Another point - if a divine being created us, I doubt it would be naive to believe we would all gravitate towards the same religion. Is it not possible it had a hand in kick starting the other religions, and letting it go from there?

It's just as plausible as there being one true religion.

Last edited:

Wade8813

Registered Member
You seem to be forgetting one thing; higher deities are something we cannot actually fathom. It's like a protagonist in a Lovecraft story, they see something that, by our understanding of the world and science, should not exist, and their mind snaps.

We can only theorise about a (or many) supreme being(s), and of course, human imagination and understanding being what it is, it's entirely possible for one set of people coming to a different conclusion about god/s than another set. Also, as we only have historical books to tell us "this is what our god has said", it's possible that there is very little a (set of) supreme being(s) said other than "Hey there, how about sending some worship this way?"
------
Another point - if a divine being created us, I doubt it would be naive to believe we would all gravitate towards the same religion. Is it not possible it had a hand in kick starting the other religions, and letting it go from there?

It's just as plausible as there being one true religion.
I would agree that it would probably be impossible to fully understand any sort of deity, I don't think said deity would completely unknowable either.

It's possible that all religions are wrong, that none of us have any clue what God/gods may desire, etc. But it's impossible for them to all be right, because that would require mutually exclusive things.

Sure, a God/gods could have kick started many (or all) religions, but it seems kind of pointless, unless it's all a big gag to get us at each others' throats.

Also, I would guess that at least some religions were started purely out of self interest (much like many cults where the cult leader is basically deified - a difference being that the religious leaders were often more subtle).

Last edited:

Nevyrmoore

AKA Ass-Bandit
It's possible that all religions are wrong, that none of us have any clue what God/gods may desire, etc. But it's impossible for them to all be right, because that would require mutually exclusive things.
I wouldn't say impossible exactly. Because I believe that, due to cultures being different and all, it's entirely possible that the people who started these religions misunderstood what their god wanted. From what I've seen, it's rare for a divine being to be clear on something, they have to go into mystical mumbo-jumbo that results in different opinions on the subject.

Sure, a God/gods could have kick started many (or all) religions, but it seems kind of pointless, unless it's all a big gag to get us at each others' throats.
This is where I think it starts to fall apart somewhat. Or not, it could be they did it "just because". You said it yourself, it would be impossible to fully understand a higher being. Why can't that include such actions as this?

Also, I would guess that at least some religions were started purely out of self interest (much like many cults where the cult leader is basically deified - a difference being that the religious leaders were often more subtle).
I agree with this, but strangely, the only frame of reference I have right now is Scientology...