Are Video Games "Art"?

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by Merc, Apr 11, 2009.

?

Are video games "art"?

1. Yes

83.3%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Other (Explain)

16.7%
  1. Merc

Merc Certified Shitlord V.I.P. Lifetime

So, do video games count as "art"?

I believe games have evolved from their roots as simple arcade pastimes and can deliver some truly powerful messages. Yet, some people cannot look past the fact that these are "games" and thus think they have no value beyond entertainment.

What do you think?

2. Vincent_Valentine

Vincent_Valentine Studley-Do-Right

I think that some games can be considered art-like. When you have games with intricate plots and well developed characters, they can have just as much emotional impact as a good movie. These, in my mind, tend to be mostly RPG games, as well as some action/adventure games (Zelda games, Ico and Shadow of the Colossus, and the Prince of Persia series come to mind) and a few FPS games (Bioshock and Portal really stand out here in my mind).

The problem comes with the games that put all their emphasis on graphics and multiplayer. I can't really say a game is art if there is no coherent plot since the developers main intention was to make a game for people to play against eachother online. They can still be entertaining as hell, but I wouldn't hold them up as art.

Basically, some games I would consider to fit the definition of art, but there are some that definitely don't fit it.

3. Mihael_langley

Mihael_langley Formerly "Maikeru"

A craftsman, an idea, the effort and the realization
    Inspirational momentum, a target, the obstacle.
    A cultural print, timless yet distinct of a generation

4. Merc

That's great, but you should probably attempt an explanation rather than a jumble of words.

I'd say a game like Bioshock is a perfect example because it aims to tell an enthralling story and to comment on humankind and their ambitions and what they do to one another.

5. Mihael_langley

Mihael_langley Formerly "Maikeru"

"individual, independent analyses, expressed in short, well-written aphorisms, are more honest and insightful than lengthy scholarly treatises which tend to bend everything to fit a comprehensive and unifying theory"

I value art for two main purposes: entertainment and historical value (Mankind's print and behavior)

Do i think all forms of art should have a message? no, i dont.

A game doesnt becomes less of an artistic production if its raw and simple, the contemplation of it is personal and not humanly complementaire, from a selfish point of view, mediated by the original concept of the creator. -The inescapable diversity

In every game that concept is present, like in any art form, whether is from a painting, a musical score, a picture (still\motion)

From that prespective i strongly believe that video games are an artistic product.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2009
  6. Mirage

Mirage Administrator Staff Member V.I.P.

Anything that is created can be "art". So, short answer, yes they are if you ask me. If they aren't art then what are they? They might be other things too but they fall under art too.

7. Bliss

Bliss Sally Twit

Sure, some games are beautiful to play and I would think they were like art. I would never say a game is just a piece of art though. They are not made for people to stare at, they are made for people to play and enjoy every part of it.

8. Merc

So you do not believe art is or can be interactive? I agree that games are rarely made to be just art because they are after all, games, but I would say a lot of games are much more art than others such as Bioshock, Okami, Fable, etc.

9. Ryuk

Ryuk Registered Member

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm, on the one hand you have games ranging from Oddworld to Okami where the designers have put so much emphasis on the visuals themselves. On the other you've had games that have tried to deliver a message in their story like Metal Gear Solid and Final Fantasy 7. And then you have games like the Sims and Little Big Planet where it's the players creativity that shines.

So yes, games can be an artform.

10. Merc

I think what it comes down to is "What is the definition of art?" that's the real question and it's a tough one that's been debated for centuries.