Are Topless Laws Discriminatory?

Mirage

Administrator
Staff member
V.I.P.
I heard this argument the other day and had to laugh a bit. I thought maybe it would make a good discussion here though. I'm sure there are people who would be more open to the idea than others.

Are laws on going shirtless discriminatory? By that I mean, it's legal for men but not legal for women. If a man is out topless he won't get in trouble but if a woman does the same thing she'll be hit with a ticket for indecent exposure.

So, what do you think? Is it an issue of modesty or is it an issue of discrimination?

I think the laws are fine as is. They should stay the same. It's not discriminating because let's face it, men and women are different. It's ok to have different laws for different genders, within reason.

It's not like it's an issue like telling women they can't vote or have to sit on the back of the bus or something.

Twitch

Registered Member
I couldn't really care less, so if they made it legal for women to be out topless, the perverted side of me would be happy, but I basically wouldn't give a rat's ass.

Wade8813

Registered Member
Is it discriminatory? Absolutely. By definition, it's treating one group differently based on their characteristics. But is that a problem? Not always. When Disney World says a person has to be a certain height to go on a ride, that's discriminatory. When a bar says you have to be 21 to drink, that's discrimination.

Also, despite being a heterosexual male, I can't say I'd necessarily be in favor of allowing it. Some of people make me :sick: when they're fully dressed...

Last edited:

Merc

Certified Shitlord
V.I.P.
The sexualization of breasts is our own doing and thus, it is fairly discriminatory that men are allowed to be topless in public and not women. Japan is a good example of a similar sexualization. Through history, the nape of the neck has been seen as very sexual and exposing it was seen as inappropriate due to the sexual nature of it.

Personally, I think the whole breast hysteria thing is ridiculous but changing a law like that would take decades of social reform.

Mihael_langley

Formerly "Maikeru"
Ill go with hybrix on this one, i don't really see the need to change.

I do see breasts with a sexual connotation... but not only that, sexually speaking i find women with some level of cover on to be more attractive than fully exposed.

The day will come when it will be fine to walk around naked again ^^

ExpectantlyIronic

e̳̳̺͕ͬ̓̑̂ͮͦͣ͒͒h̙ͦ̔͂?̅̂ ̾͗̑
I suppose it does discriminate between the bare chest of a man and a women, by the typical understanding of what "discriminate" means. Discrimination in that sense isn't necessarily bad, though. But there just seems to be no reason for such laws, and why do we need to be fining or jailing ladies just for not wearing a shirt? All else being equal, I think we can say there should be fewer things outlawed, than more.

You're all probably picturing some skinny, toned handsome guy. Picture this: a 400 pound, pail man with moobs. Remember, no shirt!

Picturing it?

Don't picture me! =P

Yes, it's discrimination, and yes men should be forced to wear shirts because of my first paragraph. Do you REALLY want to see that? For the sake of the community put on a shirt.

Merc

Certified Shitlord
V.I.P.
I suppose it does discriminate between the bare chest of a man and a women, by the typical understanding of what "discriminate" means. Discrimination in that sense isn't necessarily bad, though. But there just seems to be no reason for such laws, and why do we need to be fining or jailing ladies just for not wearing a shirt? All else being equal, I think we can say there should be fewer things outlawed, than more.
Then you have to go face to face with the (hopefully small) crowd of people that equate seeing a pair of breasts to anally raping someone. They'll come at you and say "Look what my child saw! You've ruined his life, he's going to be scarred forever!"

redsoxocd

living on the border
Absolutely not. I'm sorry but not many people are going to be looking at a mans chest...well a mans disgusting hairy chest.

I think that in some ways the law is actually protecting women. What self respecting woman would go out without a top on anyways?

Merc

Certified Shitlord
V.I.P.
Absolutely not. I'm sorry but not many people are going to be looking at a mans chest...well a mans disgusting hairy chest.

I think that in some ways the law is actually protecting women. What self respecting woman would go out without a top on anyways?
You do realize that we as a society have decided that this is showing a lack of self-respect, right? Plenty of other countries do not have this "boob fear" the US media does despite the amount of oversexualization that exists here.