• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Games Are platforming games dead?

dDave

V.I.P.
Platforming used to be all the rage. When video games finally opened up into a 3D environment we saw many games based on 2D concepts such as sidescrolling Mario games to Super Mario 64. This was a natural thing to do, making 3D platforming games, coming off of the age of sidescrolling.

We saw many great platforming games emerge in the mid-late 90s...

-Super Mario 64
-Crash Bandicoot: Warped
-Donkey Kong 64
-Banjo Kazooie
-Banjo Tooie

This genre is very much not around any more though, it doesn't exist nearly on the same scale that is used to. Why is this? It's always been a great genre for me personally,

We've very much seen a reversion back to sidescrolling platforming with games like Super Mario Bros U. and Donkey Kong Country Returns. I played and loved Super Mario Galaxy and thought it was great, but that's the only recent platforming game I can think of that I really enjoyed. I also have the new Tomb Raider, it's a platformer of sorts for sure.

I think that overall the genre doesn't receive nearly as much attention as it used to. Thoughts?

Crouton

Ninja
V.I.P.
I think the Rayman games. Rayman Origins and Rayman legends are still very popular, and they are traditional 2D platforming. It's not as popular though. In what was is Tomb Raider a platformer?

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
It doesn't seem like there are as many games that revolve around platforming as there used to be, but that doesn't really mean the genre is completely dead. I think it's just being mixed into other genres more instead of being the main focus. Like Metroid Prime is a cross between platformer and first-person shooter. The Prince of Persia games are part platformer, part action. Obviously those are just a couple of examples.

Konshentz

Konshentz
The Uncharted trilogy had some platforming in it. I agree with Major, it's not complete dead... it's just being mixed in with other genres now. I actually like that better. I prefer my games with a bit of everything.

Smelnick

Creeping On You
V.I.P.
What exactly is it that a game needs in order to be considered a platform game? Like a game where you jump from platform to platform?

If that's what it is, I think they've decreased in popularity because games are made now adays to hold people's hands, and also, people are after realism now, with all the fancy graphics. Platform games always had a certain level of that frusteration element to them, and when games started getting released that were fun and easy, instead of challenging, many moved away from the harder games.

I know for myself, I never enjoyed video games much until FPS games started coming out. Platform games always pissed me off haha.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
What exactly is it that a game needs in order to be considered a platform game? Like a game where you jump from platform to platform?
Yeah, that's pretty much exactly what a platformer is.

I think a lot of it has to do with games becoming more and more complex and more story driven. Back in the day on NES or SNES, developers could just throw some floating platforms into a world and call it a game. The consoles weren't capable of too much more than that. Now games have evolved into much more than that. I think that's why you don't see as many games that are strictly platformers.

dDave

V.I.P.
I think the Rayman games. Rayman Origins and Rayman legends are still very popular, and they are traditional 2D platforming. It's not as popular though. In what was is Tomb Raider a platformer?
Yeah, 2D Platforming seems to be making a comeback recently. I'm very much enjoying it actually. I can get that oldschool feel while playing a new game. I'm glad that sidescrollers are gaining popularity again.

It doesn't seem like there are as many games that revolve around platforming as there used to be, but that doesn't really mean the genre is completely dead. I think it's just being mixed into other genres more instead of being the main focus. Like Metroid Prime is a cross between platformer and first-person shooter. The Prince of Persia games are part platformer, part action. Obviously those are just a couple of examples.
Yeah, but Metroid Prime is over 10 years old ;), the industry has developed a ton since then. Don't get me wrong, the advancements made in the industry have really impressed me but the fact that platforming just doesn't exist in the traditional sense anymore shows that it's really shifted.

The Uncharted trilogy had some platforming in it. I agree with Major, it's not complete dead... it's just being mixed in with other genres now. I actually like that better. I prefer my games with a bit of everything.
Yeah, and as I've stated in other threads, I really like Tomb Raider and that has some platforming in it. I do appreciate that a lot more

If that's what it is, I think they've decreased in popularity because games are made now adays to hold people's hands, and also, people are after realism now, with all the fancy graphics. Platform games always had a certain level of that frusteration element to them, and when games started getting released that were fun and easy, instead of challenging, many moved away from the harder games.

I know for myself, I never enjoyed video games much until FPS games started coming out. Platform games always pissed me off haha.
I hate the hand holding so much :lol: lots of video games are so easy/simple today that they aren't even fun. The pursuit of realism is definitely a very legitimate point; people want realistic graphics, weapons, violence, story, physics, the platformers I listed before do not really have any of this.

I really enjoyed games before the rise of FPS so I guess I have different tastes than a lot of people.

Yeah, that's pretty much exactly what a platformer is.

I think a lot of it has to do with games becoming more and more complex and more story driven. Back in the day on NES or SNES, developers could just throw some floating platforms into a world and call it a game. The consoles weren't capable of too much more than that. Now games have evolved into much more than that. I think that's why you don't see as many games that are strictly platformers.
That's true. Options were very limited with the design and naturally platforming became popular because of this.

I still really miss the genre in that sense though. Games with a really basic story that just aim to create platforming fun. They are sort of difficult to control but once you get used to it it's really easy All of these games ended up being collectathons in at least one sense (with varying levels of importance). One thing I miss specifically is Rareware's special touch on the genre, they were the masters of 3D platforming.

Smelnick

Creeping On You
V.I.P.
Prince of Persia, and Portal would be good examples of fun platformers that I liked. They also kind of solved the thing I always hated about the early platformer games too. I hated playing through a level, and then missing the last jump of the level and then having to do the whole thing over. I just can't stand that. I want to progress through the game, not spend hours doing the same level over and over. So often times, once I died a couple times, I'd just give up and put the game away. I always figured games should be fun, not stressful lol.

In the prince of persia I liked, can't remember which it was, you could reverse time if you fell in a hole. However, it wasn't an unlimited ability. You used up some power everytime you did it, and it regenerated slowly, or when you fought bad guys. It was nice though because then if you went through a whole section jumping, flipping etc etc, and then fell at the end, you had a couple chances before you were forced to die and start from the last checkpoint.

Portal is great too, because it's a bunch of smaller shorter levels, so even if you die, its not the end of the world, because it won't take you long to get back to what you missed, and then try again.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
In the prince of persia I liked, can't remember which it was, you could reverse time if you fell in a hole. However, it wasn't an unlimited ability. You used up some power everytime you did it, and it regenerated slowly, or when you fought bad guys. It was nice though because then if you went through a whole section jumping, flipping etc etc, and then fell at the end, you had a couple chances before you were forced to die and start from the last checkpoint.
Probably one of the Sands of Time trilogy (Sands of Time, Warrior Within, Two Thrones). I didn't like Warrior Within much, but the other two games were amazing and had some of the most fun platforming I've ever played. Probably the only games where I've ever felt a fear of heights.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
dDave Video Games 0
ysabel Movies & TV 2
ysabel Video Games 6
dDave Video Games 6
dDave Video Games 10