Are personal trainers worth the cost?

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by Unity, Mar 5, 2010.

1. Unity

Unity Chett Chetterfield Staff Member

So I'm probably going to join a local gym today (Club Fitness).

Because of my health issues (that most of you know about), and because I'm recovering from surgery, I'm thinking about getting a personal trainer at some point.

I'm curious what experiences you have had with personal trainers. If you've used them, did you/do you enjoy the experience? If not, why? What stops you?

I'd also like to hear some costs that people have encountered, and if they think the cost fits the service.

2. Jeanie

Jeanie still nobody's bitch V.I.P. Lifetime

My sister is a personal trainer, so I've never had to pay for one. It definitely can be beneficial, especially if you have specific questions about what goals you should set/what's realistic, what you can and cannot expect to be able to do, and form/technique pointers.

I think it would be a good idea, especially for you, but really I think everyone who is serious about physical fitness can benefit from hiring a trainer. They have to pass a certification exam every couple of years, so they really need to know their stuff.

Unity likes this.
  3. Unity

Thanks Jeanie, just one post and you've helped a ton. :) You're awesome.

AngelsPeak likes this.
  4. AngelsPeak

AngelsPeak Wanna play?

Since you're recovering from surgery, a personal trainer would probably benefit you as you may not be able to utilize every machine in the same way that someone else could.
    What I did instead of paying for someone to show me what I should be doing, was to find someone who had been at the gym for a while and seemed to know what they were doing. I asked if he minded showing me how to use each machine and we met at the gym the following day and he walked me through each machine, showing me how to use it without hurting myself and which muscle groups it would benefit. Made a huge difference in my work out.

Unity likes this.
  5. Jeanie

Jeanie still nobody's bitch V.I.P. Lifetime

You're welcome. I should add that most personal trainers have 4-year degrees in something related; my sister's degree is in Exercise Science and Phys Ed.

6. AnitaKnapp

AnitaKnapp It's not me, it's you. V.I.P. Lifetime

I'm not as enthusiastic on personal trainers as others are...but I have also done some extensive research in the area myself...and I doubt there is anything they could tell me that I don't already know. I get irritated when I'm in the gym and some of the trainers don't teach proper breathing when weight lifting. It's one of my pet peeves. lol

BUT...the only reason why I wouldn't hire one is because it wouldn't be beneficial for me...that doesn't mean it wouldn't be beneficial to someone else. I've thought about hiring one before...just so that I would be accountable to hold the appt and actually go to the gym and work out...but I can't justify the cost of one just to help me with motivation.

7. Mirage

Mirage Administrator Staff Member V.I.P.

I think there are times when they can be helpful, especially in cases like yours where you have somewhat of a unique situation.

If you are just looking to build certain muscles or tone certain areas then there are so many books out there it's not even funny. Just buy a book called "Body for Life" by Bill Phillips and you will have your own personal trainer for only a few bucks. There are so many of these books at the Goodwill. You can get one for a dollar or two.

8. Swiftstrike

Swiftstrike Registered Member

Personal trainers are psychologically uplifting. They add a sense of urgency, motivation, and optimism to your routine.

I have been lifting for years, but I dont know everything and most people don't know half as much as they think they do about routines. Also, I can tell you that a book can't tell you everything or physically be there for you when you need a spot.

Good personal trainers are knowledgeable but what is more important is their physical presence, and their psychological effect.

If I could afford to I would hire a personal trainer.

9. AnitaKnapp

AnitaKnapp It's not me, it's you. V.I.P. Lifetime

Also, I would look around and see if you can find out what personal trainers have to qualify for in your state.

I can tell you right now, that the ones in TX here take like a 2 week course...or at least that's what it was when I was thinking of getting one. The ones that don't do much training on it themselves really aren't worth it. Someone like Jeanie mentioned would be good at what they do.

10. Unity

Thanks for the input everyone.

By the way, I had my free session with a personal trainer on Monday evening (you get one for signing up under my plan), and it was definitely great. Helped a lot with advice, technique, etc.

There's a deal they're pushing for 3 PT sessions (as you get started, sort of to guide you) for $99.00. Sounds a little steep to me, even though it sounds good.