• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Are people actually this dumb?

dDave

V.I.P.
I just caught a clip from Jimmy Kimmel's Lie Witness News, a special presidents day edition. They went around telling people that FDR died this week and asked them about what they liked most about FDR, giving condolences, etc. Apparently people just went with it. Take a look...

Sad: Jimmy Kimmel bit shows some people think FDR died this week – Glenn Beck

How is it possible to not know stuff like when FDR died? (even a general time range) I'm not saying it's at all impossible that 5 or 6 people are morons but honestly, I think tax money was wasted on trying to educate morons like this.

This legitimately bothers me. How dumb can you be and still breathe? :-/

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
From the article in your link.

Pat and Stu tried to remedy the situation by surmising that Kimmel’s crew probably talked to hundreds of people and just choose to highlight the least intelligent ones in order to produce the funniest clip possible – but that didn’t really help much.
I'm seriously hoping this is true because if most of the people that were asked this question were this dumb we are in trouble.

On the other hand I don't see how anyone that ever attended school didn't know he is dead, died in his fourth term as president. Of course some still believe the sun revolves around the earth so why this surprises me I don't know.

Merc

Problematic Shitlord
V.I.P.
I seriously wonder how people continue to doubt the stupidity of people here. It's as easy as looking at how shitty public education is. We pay our teachers nothing, hold kids to nothing but standardized testing and then wonder why we raise some of the dumbest kids in the civilized world. Standardized testing is ineffective, we need to pay our teachers more and bring on people that truly want to teach.

We place very, very little value on intelligence and education if you ask me. Stories like this do not surprise me.

Clare

Registered Member
Hilander, I'd also like to think that most people wouldn't respond like that. I mean as the article said they were putting together a comedy sketch so obviously would have picked the dumbest responses. Having said that it's a bit of a worry they found the 6 people they did. The most ridiculous thing though is how far they went - like the woman in the white jumper going on and on about the twitter stuff. My word.

I agree about the schooling situation Merc. I think rote learning has become such a part of school now - seriously some exams now you can know exactly what they're going to ask before you get in there. For my final school exams there were certain questions that I'd say almost everyone had their responses prepared for. Basically just going in and writing off a pre written piece word for word (even if your response wasn't really answering the question asked!).

On top of the pay issue it seems that it's not fashionable to do teaching anymore. I really think the 'those who can't do, teach' motto is how some people feel. It's sad to say but these days the cleverest people, in my experience, don't go into teaching.

Millz

Better Call Saul
Staff member
V.I.P.
This is the same thing as Jay Leno does with Jaywalking...or should I say DID.

They don't show the intelligent responses...only the idiotic ones. People getting the answers correct isn't good comedic television.

So yeah, these people are idiots but I'm sure most of the people they interviewed actually knew the answer and they just didn't show it.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
You never know they may of told them if they give a stupid response they would be on television.

Millz

Better Call Saul
Staff member
V.I.P.
That's an interesting thought, Hilander. I never thought about it like that before haha

Act stupid and get on TV...not a bad idea!