• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Are Outlet Malls Still a Bargain?

RenewalVentures

Registered Member
In the days of in-city warehouse stores and shopping clubs, is an outlet mall still a reliable source of bargains? The only advantage that may still be available at an outlet mall is an ability to select from a wide variety of selections within one brand, instead of choosing only the options that a retail store's buyer considers to have high sales potential.

Thoughts?

AngelsPeak

Wanna play?
I take my girls to Birch Run here in MI each year for school clothes. Do I think outlet malls are still a bargain? Why yes, yes I do. Compared to what I would have paid in the mall for the same thing I bought at the outlet stores, I say "what a bargain"!:D

RenewalVentures

Registered Member
I've also shopped Birch Run a decade ago, and found very impressive pricing and selection for a wide variety of clothing, housewares and appliances. It's good to know that they're still competitive!

Mirage

Secret Agent
Staff member
V.I.P.
How do outlet malls manage to price things so much cheaper? I have been to a few but I don't really know of any that are near where I live now.

maledoro

Strange Visitor
Not everything at outlet malls are cheaper. I used to work in an independent shoe store that sold various brands of shoes. There was a Bass store at an outlet mall 45 minutes from my store that charged $15 more for their Weejuns than we had. I checked the model numbers and they matched.

But, I have picked up some no-stick Calphalon pots that had some scratches on the exterior for a small fraction of the retail price.

RenewalVentures

Registered Member
Is the situation that a one-brand outlet store can price items less expensively than a traditional multi-brand retailer? Or are some outlets actually corporately-owned, so that no middleman price markup occurs?

maledoro

Strange Visitor
Is the situation that a one-brand outlet store can price items less expensively than a traditional multi-brand retailer? Or are some outlets actually corporately-owned, so that no middleman price markup occurs?
The case I cited was that of a multi-brand retailer charging less for a product than the brand's own store.

The Bass store that I had mentioned was owned and operated by Bass. They just chose to charge a little more for the same product we (and other stores) were selling.

califbob

Registered Member
Once a month I take my wife and daughter to the Factory Outlet stores in Vacaville, California. There are about one-hundred stores with Osh-Kosh, Levi's, Gap, Banana Republic, Vans, Black & Decker, Gucci, to name a few. The outlets basically sell last season's merchandise or irregular merchandise at pretty darn good prices. The Black & Decker shop sells all of their tools at great discounts.

If my wife were to go to the local shopping mall to buy this merchandise, she would spend far more just for the luxury of purchasing it from a Macy's or Dillards.

These places are great for getting your Christmas shopping done. They have a wide variety of merchandise for everyone on your list.

If you are looking for a factory outlet near you, click HERE.

dDave

V.I.P.
There are a lot of things that you get ripped off for now. As you are all well aware the mall is just a point of interest for hanging out and having fun with friends, this makes it very easy for companies to sell things because where people are is where they buy what they want because they don't bother to go to a cheaper place anywhere.