• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

MLB Are Free Agents excited about the idea of playing in TOR?

JayOnJays

Here's something a buddy of mine pointed out to me when Cano signed with Seattle. He asked me "How long do you think it will be before Cano is traded away from Seattle? Because nobody wants to be in Seattle. Not Jay-Z, not Cano, and not even people from Seattle!"

There's some truth in that joke. AA said he wanted to fix this team through free agency and as you can see, the number of free agents is dwindling down. So far, AA has signed Navarro (a guy that I felt was possibly one of the most important signings for Toronto this offseason) and Dan Johnson. Throughout his tenure, AA has never really dived into the FA market or even led to belief that, that was the best way to win. With numerous pitchers believed to be targeted this offseason in FA by AA, not one has expressed interest in signing with Toronto. They've been more interested in signing with teams like the Twins and Padres.

So, my question to you guys... do you feel free agents are excited about the idea of playing in Toronto?

StroShow

The return shall be legenday!
V.I.P.
Re: Are Free Agents excited about the idea of playing in TOR

I think the Blue Jays could've signed Yu Darvish or Prince Fielder a few years ago, but Rogers didn't want to fully commit financially but most importantly length wise to their contract demands. What Anthopolous need to realize is that longer contracts is the new age of signing free agents in baseball. Not saying to throw a free agent 10 years, but expand your 5 year limit to at least 7-8 seasons. Lastly, free agents signing in Canada ain't like Hockey or Basketball, as they don't need to worry about the bad winters as April is the only "cold" month they have to deal with.

JayOnJays

Some would actually argue the counterpoint. Some would say, especially with the success of the Red Sox this past year, that today is the age of Short-incentive laden contracts. I see your point though. Still, do you feel that if you were a free agent, you would be more likely to sign with Toronto than with other teams? Say like, if NYY offered a contract for the same number of years as the Jays offered you, but with less money. Knowing what you know about both teams, would you go to NYY? Or would you go to Toronto? (Try to keep the bias out of it haha)

The whole idea of this is to put ourselves in FA shoes for a minute. You have to consider the money, the history of winning, the platform and pressure of where they're going to play, the security of length of years in the contract. There are a lot of variables for a FA to consider. It's why a team like Seattle has to offer 10 yrs @ $240M in order to get Cano. If NY offered 10 yrs @ $220M, where do you think Cano goes? Where would you go?

BadNewsJays

If I'm a FA, I'm not going to Toronto. Last year was really important for more than just a chance to win it all. It was also a chance for FA's to see that the Jays are committed to winning, and can do it. I honestly think once the Jays start winning (at least put together a +.500 season FFS), then FA's will be more enticed to sign with us. I saw something that said the last FA pitcher the Jays have signed to a MLB deal, was Tomo Ohka in 2007. That's six years ago. AA might like trades better, but relying so dependently on them also says something about the desires of Free Agents.

JayOnJays said:
Say like, if NYY offered a contract for the same number of years as the Jays offered you, but with less money. Knowing what you know about both teams, would you go to NYY? Or would you go to Toronto?
I'd go to the Yankees. Sure money talks, but so does winning, and I'd say winning is more important than an going for $22M with the Jays, say, instead of taking $20M with the Yankees.

seancole22

No players dont want to play in Toronto. The media and fans are so desperate for a winner that everything is magnified and usually unpleasant. The suckage of the Raptors & Leafs just makes the situation worse and the market as a whole undesirable. Toronto is gaining a reputation for being an anti championship city. Very few players will want to come to Toronto to lose.

If the Blue Jays offer the most in most instances they will get the Free Agent. However this is not a good way to build a team you end up with over priced unmovable talent that just brings the whole system down if they don't provide good service. I think the 5 year contract rule is a good one AA said there may be an exception to the rule. I mean Pat Gillick other then when he signed Dave Stieb restricted himself the same way in fact I think their rule back then for pitchers was 3 years. Detroit traded Fielder for Kinsler and threw in $30 million which means for two years of Prince Detroit paid something like $36 million per season which is a little ridiculous. I way prefer my team not be a slave and held back by 7,8,9 or even 10 year deals let the other teams handcuff themselves to these deals. How productive is Cano going to be at age 41 making $24 million?

Crypticshock

Registered Member

What are the tax differences between them playing in Canada over the USA? Can they claim being a US citizen on their taxes with the baseball season being so long? There's a shit tonne of factors when deciding where to play and one of the biggest ones is how you keep most of your money. Toronto is the only Canadian club in the MLB so they have a plethora of options on where to play if they do not like the factors that come with playing and living in Canada.

Crypticshock said:
What are the tax differences between them playing in Canada over the USA? Can they claim being a US citizen on their taxes with the baseball season being so long? There's a shit tonne of factors when deciding where to play and one of the biggest ones is how you keep most of your money. Toronto is the only Canadian club in the MLB so they have a plethora of options on where to play if they do not like the factors that come with playing and living in Canada.
I remember this being an issue when Reyes was acquired. Bob McCown saying the difference was negligible with some creative accounting. Don't know if this is the case.

Crypticshock

Registered Member

There's a bunch of hurdles and tricks you have to do to save yourself as much as possible.

It's like players that go to Montreal. They have a little system to play with their money to retain as much as possible. I think it is above 50% tax players have to pay in Montreal. With the "fiscal cliff" that happened in the USA, Montreal is now the highest taxed team in the NHL. Calgary/Edmonton are some of the cheapest in the league.

JayOnJays

Crypticshock said:
Excellent point! I didn't even think of that. Canada has more tax than the US. One more CON for sure. As far as how they file their income taxes and what forms, a bit more complicated. I wonder if the players get universal healthcare?