Are fate and free will mutually exclusive?

Discussion in 'Religion & Philosophy' started by Unity, Apr 13, 2010.

1. Unity

Unity I drink & I know things. Staff Member

I looked around to make sure this hasn't been covered, and while I did see a thread involving fate a while ago, I thought this could have its own.

Do you think that Fate and Free Will are mutually exclusive, or do you think both can exist in concert?

Do you think there is fate through free will, and that it can still be our choice even though it's been already decided by the powers that be? Is that even possible in your view?

Do you prescribe to one or the other? Both? Some 3rd, more rare option?

Last edited: Apr 13, 2010

2. ExpectantlyIronic

ExpectantlyIronic e̳̳̺͕ͬ̓̑̂ͮͦͣ͒͒h̙ͦ̔͂?̅̂ ̾͗̑

Fate and/or determinism is compatible with free will of a sort. Even if my actions are the consequence of a computational process, that process is me, and hence I am responsible for my actions and have the freedom to do as I please.

3. fractal

fractal Eye see what you did ther

I don't subscribe to 'fate'. But you might think of having freedom to make decisions that won't have a major effect in life, while fate determines the major decisions you make.

4. Unity

Unity I drink & I know things. Staff Member

Here's my thought process for the thread:

Could you, even without subscribing to fate, still be a part of it while using free will?

Could you be a part of fate, yet still have full control and responsibility of your own choices?

5. Viggenstien

Viggenstien Registered Member

I believe in chain reactions. Free will allows us to have choices. However the choices we make chain react to a certain result. I guess that means I believe that we make out own fate based on the choices we make.

I do NOT believe fate somehow causes us to make the choices we make. What I mean is, we are not fated to make the choices that we do. We start off with a choice and the rest is not fate, but the result of said choices.

The results can always be different, but in some situations there are usually the same general reactions. An extreme example would be: If you drop a lit match on something flammable, you are almost "fated" to have started a fire.

If you do something to someone that would be considered unkind, they will do something unkind in return if they are of a vindictive nature.

If you have unprotected sex, you generally end up with a baby. It is not fate per say, it is the result of our choices.

6. fractal

fractal Eye see what you did ther

This is my opinion of fate: I record your life till death and then I travel back in time showing you your 'fate'. Will you start believing in fate then? Or will viewing the story of your life affect your decisions? To avoid the latter, I'll reveal only the largely insignificant parts of your life to convince you without altering the decisions you are willing to take.

7. PonderCloud

PonderCloud Registered Member

It is possible. One could have free will and yet follow a course of fate. The actions you choose would simply have been prerecognised. They could still be made using free will. I don't subscribe to the idea myself but it is a possibility.

8. MiloIsYum

MiloIsYum Registered Member

I think fate is a predertmined consequence to forseen actions that were made by us through our own free will.

I do think that we have free will. But I also believe in fate and that everything happens for a reason. Basically as I said, we make the decisions, fate is the consequence.