Are Conservatives Stupid or Evil?

Kazmarov

For a Free Scotland
Originally Posted by Stab-o-Matic5000
The only completely "green" and renewable power sources are wind, solar, and hydroelectric power.
And tidal.
And fusion.
And cellulostic ethanol (which you can actually derive cleanly from quite a lot of landfill waste, and leftover biomass from farming).

Wind isn't as hit-and-miss as people think. Particularly near and off of coasts (where over half of humans live anyways) there are consistent winds. The figures for the Massachusetts and Scottish wind farms are impressive.

Tidal and geothermal are nice in that they essentially operate off of very consistent sources. Tides are inevitable as they're based off of the moon (which isn't going anywhere for the next hundred million years). Thermal pockets do shift with time (eg, the Hawaiian archipelago), but they are constant for meaningful periods of time.

Nuclear power is generally pretty solid, however the waste produced takes forever to decay and nobody wants anything to do with it, as it seems to always end up contaminating groundwater. I think it as a stopgap, but it's at best a fleeting transitional industry.

Stab-o-Matic5000

Cutting Edge in Murder
And tidal.
And fusion.
And cellulostic ethanol (which you can actually derive cleanly from quite a lot of landfill waste, and leftover biomass from farming).

Wind isn't as hit-and-miss as people think. Particularly near and off of coasts (where over half of humans live anyways) there are consistent winds. The figures for the Massachusetts and Scottish wind farms are impressive.

Tidal and geothermal are nice in that they essentially operate off of very consistent sources. Tides are inevitable as they're based off of the moon (which isn't going anywhere for the next hundred million years). Thermal pockets do shift with time (eg, the Hawaiian archipelago), but they are constant for meaningful periods of time.

Nuclear power is generally pretty solid, however the waste produced takes forever to decay and nobody wants anything to do with it, as it seems to always end up contaminating groundwater. I think it as a stopgap, but it's at best a fleeting transitional industry.
I'd never heard of tidal before, and ethanol isn't completely clean, though it is renewable. Fusion isn't practical yet, so I didn't include that. In the future, however, it will be viable.

Nuclear power can in the future be far more clean, the way we do it now is actually pretty rudimentary.

PentaCube

Registered Member
I'd never heard of tidal before, and ethanol isn't completely clean, though it is renewable. Fusion isn't practical yet, so I didn't include that. In the future, however, it will be viable.

Nuclear power can in the future be far more clean, the way we do it now is actually pretty rudimentary.
But the point is, why use an energy source that creates waste (even smaller amounts as you claim) when you can use sources that are completely renewable and produce no waste? Granted nuclear power is more safe than alarmists would generally have you believe, but you have to consider that it should be a viable option for countries that probably shouldn't really have access to nuclear assets.

Stab-o-Matic5000

Cutting Edge in Murder
But the point is, why use an energy source that creates waste (even smaller amounts as you claim) when you can use sources that are completely renewable and produce no waste? Granted nuclear power is more safe than alarmists would generally have you believe, but you have to consider that it should be a viable option for countries that probably shouldn't really have access to nuclear assets.
Currently, however, waste free power isn't viable. If solar or fusion make a huge breakthrough in viability in the near future, then great. However, if they don't, nuclear energy is still the most viable method we have right now.