• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Are car alarms worth the money?

Duke1985

EatsApplePieShitsFreedom
So at work today as I was coming back from lunch I heard a car alarm in the parking lot blaring. I also noticed no one walking in or out of the building payed all that much attention to it. So if the alarm was blaring because of a break in none of these people really planned on checking it out.

Which raises the question is a car alarm really worth it?
When a car alarm goes off what are your first thoughts?
Do you ever check to see why a car alarm might be going off?

Please share your thoughts.

Cait

Oh, poppycock.
I think if you frequently park your car in a place that would be deemed as a "bad" area then yeah, it is.

ysabel

/ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5
So at work today as I was coming back from lunch I heard a car alarm in the parking lot blaring. I also noticed no one walking in or out of the building payed all that much attention to it. So if the alarm was blaring because of a break in none of these people really planned on checking it out.

Which raises the question is a car alarm really worth it?
When a car alarm goes off what are your first thoughts?
Do you ever check to see why a car alarm might be going off?

Please share your thoughts.
I think it is. It gives you a sense of assurance (no matter how fake haha) and paying to worry less about something is a good reason. The alarm is also more for alerting the owner rather than random people. When a car's alarm goes off, if it's not in the place I parked my car (or it doesn't sound like my alarm) I wouldn't even check it out. If it's within my line of vision then I'd look at it. In a way it does attract attention, something a thief wouldn't want.

Nightsurfer

~Lucky 13 strikes again~
I know when I hear a car alarm I don't really look for someone breaking into a car.I find them annoying and most of the time that they go off it's a false alarm.

The only reason my wifes car has one is because it came with the car.

Matriqulated

Future is Fused 3036A.D.
I will say this, ever since I have had them I have not experienced a break in :knocks:
The reason why I purchased my first was due to someone breaking into my jeep. While in the worst of the worst places yeah an alarm won't totally prevent it from getting broken into, it is easier for a thief to break into a car that doesn't have the alarm. Why take the risk of drawing any attention to the crime when you could just find a car that won't make that annoying, loud, and obnoxiously predictable noise.

Wade8813

Registered Member
I don't think they're worth the money OR the annoyance.

So many of them sound exactly the same, if one goes off in a large parking lot, you'll have no way of knowing if it's yours or not. Or if it goes off, but you can't hear it...

Bliss

Sally Twit
I think they are definitely worth it. You never know when the wrong person is going to walk past your car and try and steal it. I don't think it really matters where you are parked - you should never take the risk.

AeonFlux

I am the edge!
I will say this, ever since I have had them I have not experienced a break in :knocks:
The reason why I purchased my first was due to someone breaking into my jeep. While in the worst of the worst places yeah an alarm won't totally prevent it from getting broken into, it is easier for a thief to break into a car that doesn't have the alarm. Why take the risk of drawing any attention to the crime when you could just find a car that won't make that annoying, loud, and obnoxiously predictable noise.
Exactly...if someone is going to break into a car and has to choose between two cars, one with an alarm and one without, they are going to choose the car that won't make the loud noise. Sure, I don't panic when I hear a car alarm go off, but I might glance that way.

I had two different cars while I lived downtown. The first car didn't have an alarm, and it got broken into. The second car did have an alarm and was parked in the same place every night as the other car had been, and it was never broken into. I can't say for sure that it was the car alarm that prevented it from happening again, but you never know.

So yeah, I think car alarms are worth it.

snowflake

Registered Member
I don't think they are worth the money. Car alarms go off so often for nothing, Alot of them are too sensitive.

icegoat63

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
No they are long past their actual usefulness. People are absolutely numb to them and rarely if ever pay attention to 'em. However I still think that alot of major insurance companies give you a small discount on your monthly bill if you report having an alarm installed.

but as for usefulness aside from saving a few bucks on the insurance, nah I dont have them and I feel as protected when I did as I do now without.