• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Are American politicans purely in the business of getting elected?

Are American politicans purely in the business of getting elected?

• One party is far worse than the other. (please specify)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Electability has always been secondary to governance.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
Are American politicans purely in the business of getting elected? Or do you believe that some politicians are sincerely trying to do what's best for their country?

I put up a few poll options.

TX_Naturalist

Registered Member
Personally, I feel too many (maybe not all) politicians are working too hard at getting elected and not as concerned with actually representing the people who elect them. Having to have big bucks to get anywhere in politics seems to be a fairly good indicator of the this. I also feel that a majority of "career politicians" are in it just for the benefits and personal agendas rather than their concern for doing the right thing for the American people.

I think there are a few still trying to do the right thing, but since they are in the minority they are often unable to really be effective.

Unity

Living in Ikoria
Staff member
I selected "Other" because I believe that it's something that goes on a person-to-person basis. In my years of following the political arena, I've seen examples of people that are far too obvious in only seeking election, and examples of people that conduct themselves as truly passionate about the people they serve.

I know that these two things aren't mutually exclusive (people can be focusing on civil service but still spending time worrying about election), but some tip the scales to one side or the other far more than other politicians.

Wade8813

Registered Member
I think there is too much emphasis on re-election, but I think as long as they're capable of being re-elected, that'll be a problem (and by extension, I think it applies to any government where people have to worry about being re-elected).

That said, I think there can be advantages to it - it keeps politicians paying attention to what the people want, instead of just doing whatever they want.

C-Mach

Registered Member
American politicians care more about getting reelected than proper governance. If they were serious about proper governance, politicians frankly discussing far-reaching removal of popular government programs would be commonplace.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
Yes, I believe most politicians are more interested in their own personal success and helping their party than they are in bettering the country. Politics is a career, and the major parties are the corporations that employ them.

Merc

Problematic Shitlord
V.I.P.
The cycle is as follows:

1. Get lots of money from big business sponsors
2. Pander to the idiot masses with simpleton ideas or things that will get them angry and passionate
3. Paint opponent as a Nazi-supporting pedophile who eats kittens bathed in the tears of starving orphans
4. PROFIT!
5. Spend 3 of 4 years paying back big business sponsors with favors in the form of favorable policies and laws with blatant loopholes allowing them to rake in more profit
6. During year 4, blame the last guy for all of your current problems. Also, return to step one.

TL,DR: It's all about election, nothing about you and I, and partially about the flow of business.

CaptainObvious

Embrace the Suck
V.I.P.
This question is impossible to answer because it asks that all Americans be classified as the same.

Generally speaking, I disagree with the opinions expressed that politicians are all out for themselves and don't care about anyone else and don't do much in representing their constituents. If that were true we would not see the success this country has seen in such a short time of existence. We would see the corruption and nothing getting done at all like in country's such as Mexico.

I think by and large most politicians do a good job in representing their constituents. They make mistakes like everyone else, but most are well-intentioned and do their best to do a good job.

Jeanie

still nobody's bitch
V.I.P.
I agree with CO. First of all, you can't classify everyone as being the same. Everyone's motives are different. Also, Michigan has some really good people representing us in both houses of Congress. You couldn't ask for better Senators than Carl Levin and Debbie Stabenow; even if you disagree with them, they both do the job that they were elected to do.

MenInTights

not a plastic bag
Like Jeanie my state, South Carolina, has some damn good representatives even if you don't agree with them all the time: Sen. Jim DeMint, Sen. Lindsey Graham and for me Rep Joe Wilson. Sen. Graham gets a lot of heat from Conservative media and Rep. Wilson gets some heat from Liberal media but I personally know that both men are honest and do the best job they can. A friend of mine living elsewhere may not agree with that assessment of the two. but that is because things get twisted and politicized for gain.