• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Arctic ice loss linked to extreme weather changes

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
The string of massive snowstorms and bone-chilling cold on the US east coast, as well as flooding in Britain and record temperatures in Europe, are linked to rapid ice loss in the Arctic, new research appears to confirm.
http://www.rawstory.com/2015/06/rap...-to-extreme-weather-changes-in-europe-and-us/

Our last 2 or 3 winters have been colder than normal with more snow. I thought it was more to do with the gulf stream slowing down but seems the effect on the jet stream caused by the melting may have more to do with it. It's going further south and staying much longer, getting stuck if you will, dumping lots of rain in one place or causing it to be dry. I guess really it could be a combination of both.

I can't say I mind the cooler summers but I hate the colder winters. However its going to play havoc on food production.

Thoughts?

The_Chameleon

Grandmaster
For over 12 years I've been hearing about how we have only ten years to massively reduce carbon emissions or else... Well this is the "or else". I guess nobody cared then, nobody cared since, and nobody is going to care until they are digging themselves out of 10 feet of snow or riding on their roof down a floodway. All I have to say at this point is "Oh well."

Nobody else gives a crap, why should I? Happy Armageddon everyone!

Anyone want a play by play of my predictions from 1998-2002? Most have already come to pass, but I've added a few since then. Basically for most parts of the world it's more of the same, but worse. In my neck of the woods it'll be drought and water shortages in the summer, and massive flooding in the spring. California and Nevada will be baked dry and face huge water shortages (but most already knew that), on the opposite coast, storms, snow, hurricanes and the like. Britain... Umbrellas and snow shovels will be the tools of survival. India will see snow and it will collapse roofs and infrastructure. Quakes and Tsunami's will pummel the Indonesian islands, Japan, India and surrounding region with a whole new level of frequency and magnitude. China? Hard to say, but I'm thinking flooding for the most part... Torrential rain. Russia? Quakes and more brutal than usual winters. Oh we're all gonna have so much fun! I'm so excited. I feel bad for the polar bears though. But what's another species in the grand scheme of things?

At least the Arctic's hidden resources will be accessible and the North corridor will open up for shipping. Yay! It'll be almost like raping the Earth all over again from scratch. Virgin territory! Spread your icebergs Arctic circle, you're about to get stripped and drilled!

- Cham

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
I think Siberia is thawing out, the reason for the holes. The rest of Russia I don't know.

I think we are past the point of no return. Even if we got really serious with carbon reduction I think this has already progressed far enough it will feed on itself. Hope I am wrong about that but even if I am like you said Cham a lot of people don't care.

The_Chameleon

Grandmaster
Oh yes, the natural methane bombs under the Siberian permafrost, I almost forgot about those! Tick tick tick BOOM! Fun stuff! The increase in precipitation in many parts of the world is also going to result in weakened city infrastructure and sinkholes. Lots of sinkholes. Now you see Transit bus, now you don't. So much fun!

- Cham

PS: Even if we're not past that critical tipping point, it doesn't matter, because we're not making any major efforts to change things anyway.

Stego

Registered Member
We passed the point where thoughtful democratic changes in policy will do us any good. We would need to either innovate to zero carbon emissions (says not just I but Bill Gates) or have an all-out overthrow. At this point, I "vote" for the latter.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
Zero carbon emissions will never happen, not in the next hundred years anyway. It would virtually shut down oil companies or cost billions trying to accomplish that with oil. Even if we did other countries like China wouldn't.

CaptainObvious

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
Actually the latest data from NASA suggests otherwise.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jamesta...d-nasa-data-polar-ice-not-receding-after-all/

But the story is still told so Al Gore can get money for nothin' and chicks for free.
Ah, James Taylor. Pretty much the biggest clown in the climate debate. The dude poses as a scientist despite having no science degree.

He is a lawyer and lobbyist who works for the Heartland Institute, which is largely funded by the fossil fuel industry, and he's essentially paid to spread misinformation about climate change in order to influence public opinion and environmental policy.

No surprise to see that he used one of the most common tactics of climate deniers, which is to use sea ice levels as proof that the "polar ice caps" are not melting. For one thing, sea ice is not indicative of the land ice in places such as Greenland or Antarctica. And the other thing is that sea ice does not affect sea level rise. It is literally just the seasonal freezing and thawing of water that is already in the ocean and has no bearing on sea levels.

CaptainObvious

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.