Arctic Ice is Melting

PretzelCorps

Registered Member
I saw this on television today, and found an article I thought I'd post for some discussion:

CTV.ca | Arctic ice melting and not coming back: scientist

Arctic sea ice is melting at an alarming rate, and some scientists have little hope the downward trend can be reversed before the ice disappears altogether.

The National Snow and Ice Data Centre in Colorado released its latest ice report this week, showing ice coverage in the region is at its second lowest level in 30 years.

"It's very different from in the past when you had a low year and you tended to rebound. We haven't been doing that anymore," Julienne Stroeve, a research scientist at the centre, told CTV.ca.

As of this week, 2008 is in second place for the lowest amount of sea ice since satellite measurements were first taken in 1979.

And with several weeks left in the melt season, 2008 could still surpass September 2007 for the lowest amount of sea ice since satellite measurements were first taken in 1979.

At last measure on Aug. 26, Arctic sea ice coverage was at 5.26 million square kilometers -- a decline of 2.06 million square kilometres from the beginning of August.

In September of last year, a record low was recorded, with 5.69 million square kilometres of sea ice recorded.
Evidently, some guy figures that Arctic sea-ice will cease to regenerate itself in about 6 years (2014) --> It is important to keep in mind that these observations they refer to have only been taken for the last 50 years, but lets see some thoughts:

Anthropogenic Global Warming at work? Mother nature? Do you really believe Arctic ice will disappear completely? Or do you think the Arctic Ice Melt may reverse itself at some point in the future, and return?

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
Do you really believe Arctic ice will disappear completely? Or do you think the Arctic Ice Melt may reverse itself at some point in the future, and return?
Whether it disappears completely or eventually reverses itself, the damage has already been done. If it keeps getting worse, animals like the polar bear will be extinct in our lifetime.

Mirage

Administrator
Staff member
V.I.P.
If it did melt than the there are several places on the earth including most of Florida that will be underwater for good.

PretzelCorps

Registered Member
If it did melt than the there are several places on the earth including most of Florida that will be underwater for good.
I don't think there's enough ice in the Arctic to do that --> I think the main concern in this case is for the seals and Polar Bears. It's the Antarctic that has enough ice to raise sea-levels.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
Yep, most of the frozen water that would raise sea levels is locked away in glaciers in Greenland, Canada, and Antarctica.

MenInTights

not a plastic bag
DailyTech - Sea Ice Ends Year at Same Level as 1979

2008 ends with the same amount of sea ice as was present in 1979! The doomsday scientist that said the ice was melting, global warming, etc.. were wrong.

Amazing just 9 months ago the general consensus was we had to declare the polar bear endangered b/c the ice was going to be gone in a matter of years. Shows how much faith to but into consensus when it comes to global warming.

PretzelCorps

Registered Member

MAgnum9987

Do What Thou Wilt
No matter what humas do can reverse what is happening to our world. Global Warming is NOT a man made problem. Ice core records have revealed that similar warmings have happened dozens of times in history, and now it is happening again. Believe it or not, we are just now coming out of the last ice age, for most of earth's history, we have been a planet without ice. And just now we are about to lose our ice. We should focus less on reversing global warming and focus more on adapting to the inevitable rise in sea level.

ExpectantlyIronic

e̳̳̺͕ͬ̓̑̂ͮͦͣ͒͒h̙ͦ̔͂?̅̂ ̾͗̑
I love how folks so confidently express views that demonstrate they don't even have a basic grasp of the issue. Most of the objections you usually hear to global warming are some variation of: "it was pretty cold yesterday in Portage, so what happened to global warming?" Here, let me help.

MAgnum9987 said:
Ice core records have revealed that similar warmings have happened dozens of times in history, and now it is happening again.
Here's a fun fact from Kidzworld - Global Warming: "Though climate change isn't new, the speed with which the climate is changing is."

Last edited: