• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Apple sues Amazon over 'Appstore' name

sunrise

aka ginger warlock
V.I.P.
BBC News - Apple sues Amazon over 'Appstore' name

I won't post the entire article but to sum up the premise of the lawsuit is that Apple users the name "App Store" and Amazon wish to use "Appstore". Apple claim that the reason behind this is that the name is too similar to there's and:

"Amazon has begun improperly using Apple's App Store mark in connection with Amazon's mobile software developer program.

"Consumers of mobile software downloads are likely to be confused as to whether Amazon's mobile software download service is sponsored or approved by Apple."
Now I am not being funny but if somone uses either store and either device they are likely to know where they need to get the apps they want. Is it about time that Apple stop trying to rule the world (in the way they lashed out at Microsoft for) or are Apple in the right?

I personally feel they are wrong and they are obessed with competion - which to be fair they should, it is after all a business market - and stopping anyone who tries to get in their way even if it comes down to trying to copyright a word.

dDave

V.I.P.
App-

APPle

APPlication

They need to get over the fact that some words sound the same or are very similar, though I understand they are suing for the fact that they used the word "APP" they are suing because all Amazon did was take out the space. They are definitely in the wrong here nonetheless, if you go to Amazon Amazon.com: Online Shopping for Electronics, Apparel, Computers, Books, DVDs & more check out what it says. "Appstore for Android." it's an entirely different market, I don't understand how they think it's ok to sue over this, it's not as if they are stealing a single cent of business from Apple.

You gusy know my opinion on Apple products (and how they're overpriced) now they're trying to get control over everything, they need to back off and just let things be, save the trouble of suing somebody huge like Amazon for when there is a real problem.

People call them apps on more than just Apple products.

Last edited:

sunrise

aka ginger warlock
V.I.P.
I think Apple has a point. Couldn't Amazon just use another damned name?
Why should they do? I think Amazon have every right too. Do you not think Apple are just being a little to heavy handed with this?

fractal

Eye see what you did ther
There's a company here called NOKLA that sells mobile phones. When I read about this, that's what came to my mind. "App Store" is sort of like Apple's brand name. When Google put "Android market", couldn't they have just come up with some other name?

sunrise

aka ginger warlock
V.I.P.
There's a company here called NOKLA that sells mobile phones. When I read about this, that's what came to my mind. "App Store" is sort of like Apple's brand name. When Google put "Android market", couldn't they have just come up with some other name?
That is slightly different though. Nokia is a registered Trademark and is not what that can be found in the dictionary. Secondly NOKLA is very close to NOKIA so I get where they may come from. Apple uses "Appstore", Amazon wish to use "App Store" which is different. I also argue the fact that people will not know the difference. People will and for Apple to say they won't is almost insulting their customer base. People know what to look for, can you even by Apple apps on Amazon? I have just had a quick look and I don't think you can and even if you did where do most people with ipods etc by the apps from?

fractal

Eye see what you did ther
I see your point. Now I don't know which side to take. But Amazon could have avoided this nonsense, by simply choosing another name.

ysabel

/ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5
I agree with Dave here. In another post before I read this thread I just started using app instead of spelling "applications" out and I definitely don't mean Apple or anything related to it.

ATARIGUY

Beermister
Why not call it Amazon App Store or AAP sounds like app but spelled aap