• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Apple Scores Big Victory Over Samsung (Ouch!)

wooly

I am the woolrus
Woah. Talk about a win for Apple. I don't think many people were expecting their court case against Samsung to go this well.

After a year of litigation, which examined some 700 infringement claims, the court in California ordered Samsung to pay more than $1 billion in damages. The jury rejected claims by Samsung that several of its patents had been breached.

The verdict - which came after less than three days of jury deliberations - could lead to an outright ban on sales of key Samsung products and will likely solidify Apple's dominance of the exploding mobile computing market.

Apple's victory is a big blow to Google, whose Android software powers the Samsung products that were found to infringe on Apple patents. Google and its hardware partners, including the company's own Motorola unit, could now face further legal hurdles in their effort to compete with the Apple juggernaut.

Samsung lawyers were grimfaced in the quiet but crowded San Jose courtroom as the verdict was read, and the company later put out a statement calling the outcome "a loss for the American consumer."
Apple awarded over $1bn for infringement of iPhone, iPad patents - RTÉ News

Needless to say, Apple shares rose sharply after the result of the court case. Huge knock to both Samsung and Google, and it looks like the odds of ANYONE competing with Apple in the smartphone/tablet market is looking more unlikely than ever.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
Kindle had better watch out Apple will be after them next. That is a lot of money but maybe other companies will think twice about taking another companies technology. Hope the Chinese were watching.

Nevyrmoore

AKA Ass-Bandit
Wonder if this will have a knock-on affect on Microsoft's Surface at all...

Crouton

Ninja
V.I.P.
Apple are ridiculous, they sue EVERYONE. They even sued an Australian supermarket chain because their logo is an apple that looks nothing like their apple. Because who is more likely to use an apple as a logo. A computer business or a supermarket? It's ridiculous how much Apple sue others. It makes me really dislike them as a company. Although most of the time everyone is suing everyone else in the big companies.

CaptainObvious

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
I pretty much thought it would go this well for Apple. It seemed pretty clear there were patent infringements by Samsung and the verdict would have to be huge because of how much money Samsung made from these infringements and to discourage similar behavior. This is a win for intellectual property rights.

sunrise

aka ginger warlock
V.I.P.
This was no major surprise to me to be honest. As much as I want to defend Samsung and say that Apple are simply a money grabbing company who will do anything if they feel even slight threatened (actually I would say that still) Samsung were in the wrong.

I really hope Samsung leave it at this, pay the money, move on and develop again because honestly I am getting bored of these patent wars, if Apple think that this win is going to make people think "oh they were right all along therefore my opinion of them changes" I really don't think this will.

wooly

I am the woolrus
Agreed, Samsung's plagiarism of Apple concepts and designs was plain to see and they were definitely in the wrong in this case. I'm sure courts don't throw around $1bn+ settlments willy nilly, so it was pretty clear to the court as well. However, as much as this is great news for Apple, you're right it doesn't help their image. They are starting to get a reputation as a money grabbing corporation determined to have an aggressive monopoly on the market.

But like CO, i think this is is a win for intellectual property rights. I definitely disagree with Samsung's reaction to the decision:

Today’s verdict should not be viewed as a win for Apple, but as a loss for the American consumer. It will lead to fewer choices, less innovation, and potentially higher prices. It is unfortunate that patent law can be manipulated to give one company a monopoly over rectangles with rounded corners, or technology that is being improved every day by Samsung and other companies.
Less innovation?? Surely forcing other companies to come up with their own unique ideas can only lead to MORE innovation! Rather than companies like Samsung just taking Apple's concepts and designs and applying it to their phones. Like so:

sunrise

aka ginger warlock
V.I.P.
The thing that gets me though Wooly was that Apples argument was always one that Samsung "ripping off" the design was confusing customers and therefore loosing them money to which I say bullshit, that was Apple being scared.

What I would also ask of Apple is that if they are going to continue with these wars then I would like to see Apple brought up on anti competitiveness and anti trust charges. Lets see, Apple forces me to have Quicktime on my PC to be able to use iTunes, the force me to have Bonjour on my PC to be able to use Itunes. Apple do not give the choice of browser that Microsoft have had to do.

I also disagree Wooly with the innovation side of things, this IS going to damage it the market in my eyes. If Apple are allowed to do what they do they are effectivly copy writing a shape, they are basically saying that if you have a oblong bezal with a button under the screen that is there shape and no-one else can use that idea, still think that is fair? And lets be honest Samsung are not the first, lets take a look at some comparisons:

These are blatant rip offs of Apple Products and they are not going after these companies, why not? Is it possible they are little known and there for not worth an awful lot?

I am not having a go at you Wooly but Apple stomping all over the world telling people what to do and how they don't like others "copying them".

Pugz

Ms. Malone
V.I.P.
This is hilarious, mostly because Samsung make the better product. I always see on facebook about people saying they've dropped their iphone and it broke, or it crashed; I never see anything like that for a Samsung product and I know plenty of people with them.

I really don't think it's about Samsung 'copying', it's about them making Apple's idea better :lol: They jelly.

CaptainObvious

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
From my personal experience Apple makes a far better product than anyone else, but even if you accept the argument that Samsung makes Apple's ideas better, they still can't steal Apple's ideas to begin with. It's still copyright infringement.