Apple iPhone revolution

Reverend

Registered Member
Debated whether to stick this in Accessories or in Hardware - since the Apple iPhone is running a version of Mac OSX, which means it is running a BSD Unix Kernel, probably on an Intel chip. :)

You paying attention to this thing? It looks totally amazing. The LCD screen is 160dpi, it has motion and proximity sensors, it talks WiFi, Cellular EDGE data, and Bluetooth. As well as quad band cell.

It looks as though it is a pretty full-fledged computer, albeit with a different kind of input - multi-touch screen with no physical keyboard (although one wonders if you can use a bluetooth keyboard with it).

So the mobile computer hits a new high! I wonder if they're opening it up and allowing software developers to write applications for it...

Can't wait til June!

Pete

Mirage

Administrator
Staff member
V.I.P.
Ok I just watched the demo of the voicemail, and this is what I've been waiting for for years..

Apple - iPhone

I'll definitely be waiting until June to upgrade my phone. They said there was a great price but they didn't say anything about how much it was...

Does anybody have any idea?

Python

Sssssuper Platinum ******
This is going to work on Cingular. Take that "Chocolate" :)
I heard its retail for $500.00 to $600 but you could get it for half that
if you prepay. According to my sources, you should not because
the FCC has not approved it as yet and until it approved...no sale.

Also, Cisco want to sue Apple for using the name "iPhone" so even
tho the FCC may approve it, they may have to wait to sell it under
the "iPhone" or go ahead and pay out money later.

Remember the Blackberry incident awhile back? Well, I know Apple
know about so they will tippy toe lightly.

Mirage

Administrator
Staff member
V.I.P.
Yeah there was another company that owned the trademark on the name iPhone. Was that Cisco? Whoever it was they released an "iPhone" a few months back I thought... There was a big deal about it..

I think if Apple wants the name iPhone, they'll get it. They are a big enough company that they would rather pay fees than back down. ;)

Interestingly enough, check out who owns iPhone.com..

iPhone | Voice Over IP (Neither of the above two mentioned companies..)

I have a feeling somebody is about to get an offer they can't refuse.. :D

Python

Yup! It was Cisco. Will Apple get it if they want it? Maybe. Only time will tell.

The domain name might be a little tougher since the site looks like its doing great biz but remember what Volkswagen did when they wanted Volkswagen from Virtual Works?

It's going to be fun watching this brew over the months. :cool:

Reverend

Registered Member
I can't imagine that Apple won't win that battle. They're using it for a cell phone, which Cisco's isn't. Plus Apple has the whole line of "i" products already.

I am also betting that Apple wouldn't announce the name if their lawyers didn't think they would be able to use it ;)

Pete

Python

Just heard that fake iPhone are out there so watch yourselves. I saw another article (but lost it) saying Apple got the rights to use it. So now its up to the FCC to approve and we are goo to go. I say they come out with it for Easter if approve this month since they may not have mad any as yet although they could have to use outside the USA.

Mirage

Administrator
Staff member
V.I.P.
Has anybody seen any of the videos circulating the internet spoofing the iPhone hype? SNL did a few, as well as the Colbert Report, and a bunch of indy groups. Some of them are petty funny.

The iPhone is everything you need, a hair dryer, a rocket launcher, a palm pilot, a razor, and oh yes, it's also a hard to use phone. :D That's the gist of the SNL spoof which was pretty funny actually. :)

Reverend

Registered Member
Ha! Yeah, just did a search on YouTube and found a ton of iPhone stuff, including SNL and Conan O'Brien's spoof.

That's a good form of flattery to Apple that so many people are making fun of it already :)

Pete

Python

I was doing loke light reading on Google and saw this.

Re: Leo Stoller and the "Google" trademark.
I don't think he's claiming to own the Google trademark but to argue that the term is generic as in that the average person uses the trademark to describe a verb or activity. (ie. aspirin = pain killer, to google = to search) and the company was not doing its duty in preventing the trademark "misuse" and therefor Google can no longer protect its trademark and anyone is free to use it.
The rumor is that Apple is going to use that same tactic in order for it to use the iPhone trademark which Cisco now owns.
Sneaky huh?