• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Apple Admits Macs are Not Virus Proof

Merc

Problematic Shitlord
V.I.P.
According to Computerworld, Apple yanked a "controversial" support document from its website Tuesday, after it began a heated debate among the Apple faithful. What was the controversial advice? Apple suggested its users run anti-virus software.

Computerworld says that some saw the document as a change of heart for Apple, which enjoys poking fun at Windows users for having to worry about viruses. Apple says that they pulled the document because it was outdated.
"We have removed the KnowledgeBase article because it was old and inaccurate," Apple spokesman Bill Evans said in an e-mail Wednesday.

"The Mac is designed with built-in technologies that provide protection against malicious software and security threats right out of the box," he went on. "However, since no system can be 100% immune from every threat, running antivirus software may offer additional protection."
Source: Apple: Apple Pulls Anti-Virus Advice Due To Bad PR?

Hopefully this will shut obnoxious Mac users up. Every computer is open to viruses. Just because no one has gotten around to you doesn't make your computer 'better'.

Bananas

Endangered Species
This is one of my pet hates about Mac users, in the world of creative industries there are a lot of Mac users and they always rattle on about how Macs are virus-proof as if it is some big deal.

I have a PC and I run windows:-o, it cost half the price and is twice as powerful as its Mac equivalent (its also upgradeable!) and get this, it to is virus free!! I dont visit iffy sites, download dodgy data or leave my PC open to attack. Its not that difficult to keep it that way either, I'd prefer to run the risk of using windows than to buy into the Mac brand.

Blueyes

Registered Member
LMAO Bananas. I have those same exact thoughts regarding Macs and my boss is this diehard Mac fan but I swear you go over to his house and you won't find one blasted Mac there. People say linus is virus-proof too, all full of crap. So long as you keep your systems in check any product can be virus free. It's n o t that hard.

Kazmarov

For a Free Scotland
Macs are less susceptible to viruses (the difference is less explicit now that PC users have stop using the abomination that is Internet Explorer), however only an idiot would state that they are virus-proof. While OSX has a more sound system for avoiding viruses, most of their immunity comes from Apple's low market share.

I've been using Macs for well over a decade and have never gotten a virus. However, I don't believe my computer to be immortal.

dDave

V.I.P.
A lot of mac users that I know always say "Macs are way better than PCs because you don't get viruses" then I'll say that they aren't virus proof, then they tell me to check my facts.

I don't see why Apple even needed to admit it, seriously no computer is virus proof.

Xeilo

V.I.P.
There will never be a computer that will be virus free or what ever, there will always be some little shithead that wants to ruin it for everyone else and create something to waste peoples time or what ever it is made for.

Bananas

Endangered Species
One more thing; Macs may be virus free but they certainly can not bre proud for being glitch free, they have more memory leaks than the Titanic and the spinning wheel of death pays me a visit all to frequently.

Xilmwa

Registered Member
Listen up.

Macs have viruses. The problem with your logic is that the first was discovered in 2006. OS X Viruses haven't had nearly enough time to grow and even then, you have its advanced UNIX architecture, which, after working with both Linux and OS X, means that any access to the entire computer has to be done with the ADMINISTRATOR PASSWORD!!! Without that password, no person, nor application, nor website, nor virus, has privileges to write to the / folder, the equivalent of your C: drive. I can write your home folder, however, that is easier to fix, and has no possible effect on the computer.

Now, compare this to Windows, which makes it's first user an administrator by default, and then proceeds to give any user, administrator, or limited FULL ACCESS to the ENTIRE INSTALLATION!

Ya, Macs have viruses, but they barely exist.
------
One more thing; Macs may be virus free but they certainly can not bre proud for being glitch free, they have more memory leaks than the Titanic and the spinning wheel of death pays me a visit all to frequently.
Which version of OS X?

That may make a difference.

Last edited:

ExpectantlyIronic

e̳̳̺͕ͬ̓̑̂ͮͦͣ͒͒h̙ͦ̔͂?̅̂ ̾͗̑
Kazmarov said:
most of their immunity comes from Apple's low market share.
"Fight not with monsters[...]" :)