• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

AOL Instant Messenger - Hatred

Merc

Problematic Shitlord
V.I.P.
I hate it. I absolutely hate the damn thing. It always hiccups, crashes, or falls apart when I decide to use it but functions fine when I don't. Does anybody actually like the damn thing?

Syndicate

Chirp Chirp
I thought we buried AOL years ago! This is like that time I was sure I killed Chucky but he kept coming back.

I used to have it many years back, before the times they began stuffing it with adware and other crap without my permission. Man, I remember now.. they had those enormous adverts appear when you first opened an IM box. Do they still do that? That's exactly when I stopped using it, whenever that was. Everyone I knew left for MSN so I've never returned. I'd just add AIM to Pidgin if I ever had to though. Even after a format, I could still feel AIM's STD agitating my PCs special parts.

I do remember it being buggy as hell back then too though.

--

I remember now. It was that blasted 'Viewpoint Media Player' that it used to install and gave me no option for it during the process back then. There was traces of it everywhere and it was a pain in the ass to remove. It might have even broken AIM had I done so. This was literally years back so my memorie's hazy. Such was my nerd rage, I voted with my penis and never slept with AOL again.

Last edited:

dDave

V.I.P.
I've never once had a problem with it I don't think (that is once I get it set the way I want), I used 5.9 like 3 weeks ago then I made the switch to the newest one (6.8) I don't see a problem with it.

I always turn off all notifications except for the orange flash on the taskbar.
I make it so it doesn't start up automatically when windows starts
I turned off all sounds.

It runs perfectly for me when I do that.

If I were you I'd try a few different versions of AIM before giving up it's a great program for chatting with other people.

Envy

Band Nerd ♫
The only problem I had with it was that after closing out of it (properly.) it would say "AIM has encountered an error and has crashed." or something like that.

Not to pull this off topic or anything, but... FireFox is doing that to me quite often lately.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
There are a few things I don't like about AIM, but I've never had too many problems with it. MSN has some features I like a lot better than AIM, but it's also a lot more glitchy. I get that "this message could not be delivered" shit all the time on MSN.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
I use it, and I never got a problem with it. It never crashes, never gives me any headaches. The only thing that it does sometimes is that it takes more then one try to log on, but that's probably because of my internet connection.

Merc

Problematic Shitlord
V.I.P.
Do any of you AIM users use the pre-6.0 versions or do you use the newest ones? Also, AIM does this weird thing where it will randomly flood my laptop with popups. It only does it once in awhile and I'm pretty sure it's design flaw, but it's really annoying.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
Yeah, I'm still using AIM 5.9. I tried 6.0 right after it came out and I didn't like it.

dDave

V.I.P.
Do any of you AIM users use the pre-6.0 versions or do you use the newest ones? Also, AIM does this weird thing where it will randomly flood my laptop with popups. It only does it once in awhile and I'm pretty sure it's design flaw, but it's really annoying.
I used 5.9 for a very long time (I'm talking 6-7 ,months) and had no problems with it except the fact that you had to have each chat in a different window, so i went to 6.8, that's the only thing different (other than the skin) that I even noticed.

Sounds like you might have malware cause I've never been bombarded with pop-ups using AIM EVER, it's never happened.

Merc

Problematic Shitlord
V.I.P.
It's definitely not malware. Each window is an ad for AOL. It's a design flaw with 5.9.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Doc Technology 8
Wade8813 Offbeat News 2
SithZombree Computers 9
Rapier Technology 4
Iris Technology 14