• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Anzac Day

Ralli

Registered Member
ON the 25th of April every year, Aussies reflect on all those who have fought and are still fighting to make our country what it is today ...

It's our national day of remembrance ......

We call this day ANZAC day.

It was the day that the Australia and New Zealand Army Corp (ANZAC) , stormed the beaches of Gallipoli back in World War 1 ...

There is so much history behind this, and every Aussie I know gets behind this day ..

The RSL clubs get into the spirit , and the old diggers have a drink or 2 for their fallen mates ..

And Ode of remembrance is said , while the last post plays
They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old:Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.At the going down of the sun and in the morning,We will remember them.Its very much a very emotional day for alot of us ...

Now I know alot of people on here are from the U.K or America so do you guys have something similar to us .. ??

wooly

I am the woolrus
Well in the UK (and i think it's observed in Australia aswell?) there's Poppy Day on November 11, to commemorate all those who fell during war, mainly focused on WWI. You'll see people wearing these on their jackets:

I guess the main day of remembrance in Ireland is in April, and commemorates the 1916 Easter Rising. This was when the Irish Republican Brotherhood, the Irish Volunteers and the Irish Citizen's Army rose up in different parts of the country, though mainly in dublin, seizing key locations and declaring Ireland a republic, free from British Rule. Though the rising was suppressed after a week, and most of those involved were executed, it did spark the nationalism that led to Ireland establishing a republic through political means. That didn't officially happen til 1919, but the 1916 date is the one that is most remembered.

Last edited:

Crouton

Ninja
V.I.P.
I went to the Melbourne ANZAC Day dawn service last year. It was coooold and long, but amazing. It was so eerie. I'd do it again this year but I'm going to be using the public holiday tomorrow to move so I won't have the time.

Ralli

Registered Member
I go every year .... and yes agree it is eerie ..

You know how at some things you get the typical yobbo !!! I have never not once seen one of these Yobbo's at a dawn service ... They are genuine people, and no one ruins it for anyone else ...

Crouton

Ninja
V.I.P.
Which state are you in again Ralli? Which is the service you go to?

Here is some photos of the dawn service I went to last year in Melbourne. It was really foggy that morning which made it even more eerie.

Ralli

Registered Member
I'm in Brisbane ....

Oh wow that first photo looks the eeriest (if that is even a word) .... and cold .. oh soo so cold

ChaosHerald

Registered Member
In Slovenia it's the 27th of April - the day of the Liberation Front. That was the organisation that organised the resistance against the nazi occupation in WW2. Actually, nowadays the official term is 'the Day of the fight against the occupators', but that is just because the government didn't want to be tied to the communist regime anymore, which I think is stupid. Many brave men and women gave their lives for their country in these years and we should honour them for their sacrifice.

Vidic15

No Custom Title Exists
V.I.P.
I was going to go yesterday but a slight change of plans derailed my plan. I think it's a wonderful thing that all Australians participate in, whether you're from another country, refugee or an immigrant, you cannot help but celebrate ANZAC Day because those warriors, past and present have contributed so much towards the way we live now, freedom and liberty. We owe them a lot and without them, we'll be nothing. They put their lives at risk. The only thing that bothers me is that it took so long for Vietnam veterans coming home to Australia to finally get recognised as official veterans and have the same benefits as the warriors from WWI and WWII.

I was watching the dawn service on the television here and when they were firing the shots with the rifles and seeing that flash sent me goosebumps, I just wanted to be there so bad. It's just one of those events, rain, hail or shine that you just have to attend.

Crouton

Ninja
V.I.P.
Yeah I hear ya Aleks, I enjoyed it so much last year, it was FREEZING cold but everyone went anyway, it's worth it. I would have liked to have gone to the dawn service yesterday as well but since I was moving that day I really couldn't make it. Next year for sure!

Ralli

Registered Member
Did you guys hear on the news about the people in Sydney who got parking fines at 4am in the morning for parking for the dawn service at martin place? and some of these people were ex / current service men / women ..

oh and then there was some dude on facebook who got absolutely trolled because of his status comment of "i'm sick of hearing about anzac day" .. WTF

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Crouton General Discussion 6
Impact General Discussion 6