Anzac Day

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Impact, Apr 23, 2009.

1. Impact

Impact Registered Member V.I.P. Lifetime

To all the Aussie's and Kiwi's. Remember it's ANZAC day tomorrow, and to spend at least a moment of your time to give thought to our troops who fought at Gallipoli all those years ago.

Are any of you going to the dawn service, or any of the other services throughout the day?

I doubt I'll go to the dawn service, but I'll probably go down to one of the later ones.

2. Bananas

Bananas Endangered Species

They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old;
    Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
    At the going down of the sun and in the morning.
    We will remember them.

3. Shaggy

Shaggy Registered Member

At the going down of the sun...

I crouched in a shallow trench on that hell of exposed beaches... steeply rising foothills bare of cover... a landscape pockmarked with war’s inevitable litter... piles of stores... equipment... ammunition... and the weird contortions of death sculptured in Australian flesh... I saw the going down of the sun on that first ANZAC Day... the chaotic maelstrom of Australia’s blooding.

I fought in the frozen mud of the Somme... in a blazing destroyer exploding on the North Sea... I fought on the perimeter at Tobruk... crashed in the flaming wreckage of a fighter in New Guinea... lived with the damned in the place cursed with the name Changi.

I was your mate... the kid across the street... the med. student at graduation... the mechanic in the corner garage... the baker who brought you bread... the gardener who cut your lawn... the clerk who sent your phone bill.

I was an Army private... a Naval commander... an Air Force bombardier. no man knows me... no name marks my tomb, for I am every Australian serviceman... I am the Unknown Soldier.
    I died for a cause I held just in the service of my land... that you and yours may say in freedom... I am proud to be an Australian.

LEST WE FORGET

...my favourite ANZAC poem.

I will indeed be going to the dawn service. My dad's in the Army and im joining the Army so it means alot to us.

4. Vidic15

Vidic15 No Custom Title Exists V.I.P. Lifetime

For Anzac Day, I went to the City with mates to watch the parade then we headed to the Shrine and after that headed to the footy between Richmond & North Melbourne.

It was a great day.

Lest we Forget.

5. Xeilo

Xeilo Registered Member V.I.P. Lifetime

We had our own dawn service over here, was good, remembering the fallen and one of them was a mate of mine over here.

6. raye_raye

raye_raye my bologna has a 1st name

What's anzac day? Is there an american equilivant? Does anzac stand for something? Is it a person? I read the op, so I understand there was a battle at gallipoli but what did it mean? Revolution? Independence? Conquer?

7. Bananas

Bananas Endangered Species

Australian & New Zealand Army Corps

It is a day of remembrance in honour of the above.

The Battle of Gallipoli was one of the most fierce battles of the First World War, it took place in Turkey, it was a seabourne invasion very similar to the Normandy D-day landings that took place in WW2.

The Allied forces were trying to split the Ottoman Empire in two whilst opening up a corridor to Russia and encircle the axis forces. Even though the campaign failed over all the initial battle and sealanding was in part a success, but this came at a very high casualty rate and the ANZACs paid dearly.

Veterans day is similar, although Anzacs day holds slightly different significance as it is in memory of a key battle and what was Australia and New Zealands first major impact as countries rather than as dominions of the British Empire.

raye_raye likes this.