Anyone read any good books lately?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Mirage, May 20, 2005.

1. Mirage

Mirage Administrator Staff Member V.I.P.

I am trying to get back into reading, and am looking for some suggestions. My personal favorite books ever are Jurassic Park, and The Lost World, by Michael Crichton. They are about 400 pages each, and I think I read them both in a period of 24 hours the first time. I like a good book that I can't put down. :)

Does anybody read Tom Clancy? I heard his books are very addictive too.

2. helpisontheway

helpisontheway Registered Member

I just read the biography of Balenciaga (designer)...

I'm more into historical, police science and biographical.

I picked up at a thrift store a book on the Legend of Troy... should be a good read... never seen the movie however...

Currently reading a book called
    The World Is Flat: A Brief History of the Twenty-first Century by Friedman

3. AngelsPeak

AngelsPeak Wanna play?

The only Tom Clancy I've read is "Without Remorse" It was pretty good, but not one of my favorites. Crazy as it may sound, I just read "Angelas Ashes" again for the third time. I go through spurts of what I think is interesting. Last year I was really into greek mytholgy, and I felt quite intelligent when I watched Jeopardy! Of course that was the only category I could answer correctly..LOL :lol: I like to go to the library and spend hours browsing, does anyone else love the smell of books?

4. Mirage

Mirage Administrator Staff Member V.I.P.

Well helpisontheway, you know that you don't need to see the movie to enjoy the book... The books were there long before the movie. :)

I can't get into books that aren't novels. I can hardly get into novels even lol! I have read less than 10 long books (400ish pages or more) in my life. :(

Maybe that will change soon. I have read some biography's, but not many. I don't even remember which ones I have read.. :)

And yes I do love the smell of books. :) Not sure why, but it just gives me a good feeling.

5. Nanner

Nanner Registered Member

I'm a HUGE reader! (can't tell by my writing though :D) I vary in what I'm into at the moment also. Whatever mood I'm in when I finish the last book. Everything from Chick lit to really heavy stuff. (heck I even read cookbooks :D) I should have stock in Barnes/Noble. I could live there and be a very happy camper! Love Bio's....of course it depends on who it's about and if it's the real deal or not. Never read Tom Clancy. He's mystery isn't he? About the only kind of books I don't like are sci-fi (sorry Star Wars people :)) and horror.

True but you don't get Brad Pitt all buffed out in very little clothing in a book :lol:

Anyone besides me surprised to find out "The Shawshank Redemption" (yeah I probably spelled that wrong) was Stephen King?

Last edited: May 20, 2005
  6. fairyquadmother

fairyquadmother Registered Member

My last book was Standing in the Rainbow by Fannie flagg. I just LOVE her stuff, and have read fried green tomatoes several times (better than the movie by a long shot). She also wrote Daisy fay and the miracle man I liked it but not as much as FGT. I started Welcome Home Baby Girl, but couldn't quite get into it. She just released another called Red bird christmas, or something like that. I'll wait for the paperback tho :p

Speaking of books, anyone have success selling those on ebay? I find really nice almost brand new books at garage sales for .25 all the time, but never know if they are good sellers.

7. SamusAran86

SamusAran86 Registered Member

Well since youve seen the movie now, you sould read Revenge of the Sith.

I guess it all depends on what you like to read. Ive read all the Harry Potter books, those were good. Steven King titles are also good reads

8. AngelsPeak

AngelsPeak Wanna play?

If I've read the book, I will not see the movie; that always seems to take something away. But, there was one recent exception and I feel the movie's did the book absolute justice; care to take a guess? (nope not Harry Potter)

9. Jonnywildboar

Jonnywildboar New Member

has anyone read the philip pullman dark materials triology ? fantastic read...

anything by robert j sawyer is amazing (the neanderthal parallax) - his wife actually sells sighned copys on ebay

10. 1_ares_1

1_ares_1 Registered Member

Quote from Nanner: Anyone besides me surprised to find out "The Shawshank Redemption" (yeah I probably spelled that wrong) was Stephen King?

I've seen the movie so mant times and never realized that! Huh! As far as what I like to read, ya all the Harry Potters but I also love the Greek and Roman Mythology. That's where I get my name "Ares". But right now I'm smack-dab in the middle of a great Ben Franklin Biography. Hmmm..guess that means I'm wishy-washy about what I like to read.