• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Anyone into the old stadiums

goingtopshelf

Registered Member
Any of you into the old stadiums? The places that no longer exist like Crosley Field, Shibe Park, old Yankee Stadium, Metropolitan Stadium, Forbes Field, League Park, Municipal Stadium, Comiskey etc.

Check out @mlbcathedrals on Twitter. He posts photos from the old parks.

In regard to the old stadiums I really love the architecture of the old parks, their nuances and how the seating placement, especially when it comes to the upper levels are so different from today.

My favorite is Clem's Baseball, which gives you the dimensions of each stadium throughout its existence.

willge87

Registered Member
I'll echo what BJBirdy said. I follow that MLB Cathedrals twitter as well and have visited Clem's baseball numerous times as well. There is another forum (and sorry Bizzy and StroShow) called www.baseball-fever.com that has a stadium thread with pictures from stadiums past and present which is really fascinating.

BJBirdy

Registered Member
I remember years ago when I went to the site of the old Tiger Stadium. Obviously, the stadium is long gone, but the diamond is still there (I'm pretty sure I went there before they really refurbished it, so I saw the diamond as it had naturally progressed since the stadium's closure a decade earlier) and I have to say that it was pretty surreal to stand on where homeplate used to be. It really was an experience I'll never forget.

StroShow

The return shall be legenday!
V.I.P.
I'm a pretty big fan of Forbes field. The center field wall used to be so deep out that they used to keep the batting cage there against it. You didn't see too many bloop home runs in those days like you see now. A guy had to really hit the ball back then for a HR. Like Ernie Banks when he hit the clock tower.

BJBirdy

Registered Member
The StroShow said:
I'm a pretty big fan of Forbes field. The center field wall used to be so deep out that they used to keep the batting cage there against it. You didn't see too many bloop home runs in those days like you see now. A guy had to really hit the ball back then for a HR. Like Ernie Banks when he hit the clock tower.
I believe a small portion of the outfield wall from Forbes Field still stands. While it's not in its exact original location, it's at the site of where the ballpark used to stand.

When I was in Boston for TNA Slammiversary in June 2013, I paid a visit to the old Boston Braves ballpark which is now the Boston University soccer stadium. That was interesting to see.

goingtopshelf

Registered Member
If you put the addresses in of the old ball parks on Google Maps or Google Earth you can see what's there now. Some are actual ball fields still like Tiger Stadium and League Park and old Yankee Stadium.

willge87

Registered Member
goingtopshelf said:
If you put the addresses in of the old ball parks on Google Maps or Google Earth you can see what's there now. Some are actual ball fields still like Tiger Stadium and League Park and old Yankee Stadium.
Yeah I did a bit of that myself awhile back.

Parc Jarry in Montreal is now part of the tennis complex and I believe the only part of the ballpark still standing is the area which would've been behind home plate which serves as part of the tennis stands. The site where Exhibition Stadium stood is now partially taken up by BMO Field and parking. However, if you look at the site on google earth you can still see what I would call a discoloration in the concrete or whatever it is of the parking lot indicating the footprint of the structure.

BJBirdy

Registered Member
willge87 said:
goingtopshelf said:
Yeah I did a bit of that myself awhile back.

Parc Jarry in Montreal is now part of the tennis complex and I believe the only part of the ballpark still standing is the area which would've been behind home plate which serves as part of the tennis stands. The site where Exhibition Stadium stood is now partially taken up by BMO Field and parking. However, if you look at the site on google earth you can still see what I would call a discoloration in the concrete or whatever it is of the parking lot indicating the footprint of the structure.
There's actually a few seats from the Ex that are located in Exhibition Place. I had previously heard about them and then just found them by chance while wandering around the premises during the Honda Indy this past summer. It was pretty cool to see.